Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

SY thanks but my koetsu with Borbley phono sound very good ...
i'ts not difficult to understain that a resistor is a cap and ind. at the same time plus material and construction difference make for sure a difference in the sound , if is not the same cannot work the same . I use to taste ...I ear clear difference ,glad that I do
PS my cartridge setup and load are perfect!

So, identical loading value if I understand it correctly.
What was changed for what exactly then ?

Cheers, ;)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
billshurv is clear that you need read more and diy more try more with a good all diy system hoping that you have a good ears as we have
start with Salas phono and john curl

Oh clearly my ears are old and useless, and must have when I believed in magic dust and audio fairies as I still couldn't hear a difference then. If you get your kicks swapping resistors and hearing differences fine by me. Just go easy on the insults please.

The most important resistor is usually the feedback resistor from the output to the input of the gain stage. This is the template that the amp tries to follow. It is also the most stressed, because it has to swing the maximum voltage, and has no DC bias current to average the internal temp changes in the resistor.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
This poor guy walked into an ambush by the sensory negation police. It cannot be measured. Therefore, you CANNOT hear it. Your stereo is broken if you do. We are engineers. We know stuff. In fact we know ALL stuff. We are bravely protecting the "weak-minded." What condescending claptrap.

And telling me that my electronics is not up to scratch and my ears are not as good as his is not condescending?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The most important resistor is usually the feedback resistor from the output to the input of the gain stage. This is the template that the amp tries to follow. It is also the most stressed, because it has to swing the maximum voltage, and has no DC bias current to average the internal temp changes in the resistor.

So you agree with SY that the cartridge load resistor is of lesser importance?

I note your current designs use Dale resistors and you are on record on this forum telling people to use these. Can you confirm people should stick with these and stop worrying?

nicoch58 said:
i'ts not difficult to understain that a resistor is a cap and ind.
It's also not difficult to understand that this only becomes relevant at VHF or UHF, or slightly lower HF frequencies in very low impedance or very high impedance circuits. No effect whatsoever at the middling sort of impedances of a cartridge circuit at audio frequencies. If swapping a resistor make a noticeable difference then the resistor is faulty, or poor tolerance, or your phono preamp has parasitic oscillation.

plus material and construction difference make for sure a difference in the sound , if is not the same cannot work the same .
The main thing a resistor adds to a circuit is resistance. If not, it is faulty.

john curl said:
It is also the most stressed, because it has to swing the maximum voltage, and has no DC bias current to average the internal temp changes in the resistor.
A square law effect can be made worse by adding a bias. In the case of resistor heating this does not happen because of the time constants involved, but bias does not improve the situation. Using a bigger or better resistor, or a string of resistors, is the solution. Of course, if there is significant DC then this might force the use of a bigger resistor.

madisonears said:
This poor guy walked into an ambush by the sensory negation police.
He appears to have already suffered from brainwashing by the physics negation police.

It cannot be measured. Therefore, you CANNOT hear it.
Resistor problems, if sufficiently large, can be measured. Usually, they cannot be heard. The main exception is the nonlinearity of carbon comp which although quite small can be heard by some people sufficiently well that they actually prefer this distortion.

A stable value, low parasitics, resistor would do for loading a cartridge. Any heating is miniscule.
It does not need to be an ultra stable resistor. Ambient temperature effects are dominant and since most of us operate our stereo gear in near constant temperature surroundings, ordinary stabilty is good enough, maybe +-50ppm/C or even 100ppm/C would be good enough. Not sure that +-300ppm of a metal oxide would be good enough.
Carbon composition resistor is a complete waste of time, effort and money.

Last edited:
is someone using low TC alloy wire for phono cartridges?

would expect low TC alloys to give a big hit to noise performance thru higher R

with pure Cu, Ag, Al(?) you are going to have 1000s of ppm/C TC

and the cantilever rubber flexure bearing will have a fairly high TC to its mechanical properties too

engineers aren't in denial of component parasitics, environmental sensitivities and other nonideal behavior

it is Because of the demand by "conventional engineers" over many industries, application requirements that the many differing types of Resistor were developed, are available at all - some engineers needed, speced them and bought them in economically viable quantities/prices that paid for their development, manufacture

Nice to see you John here... Yes Erno use Caddock MK132V for feedback resistor

fdegrove all the same dale holco prp kiwane riken all sound different only with shinkoh I can go up 30ohm on load, maybe my system at the time dont have one caps in series with signal ,year of mod....

PS
We are diy's and music lover here not bla bla build and mod stuff please !!
we want the sound better and we use the better component for better sound ...if you think that with cheaper stuff will sound better you have a problem ! if you think that all is the same all work the same you have big problem

Last edited:
This poor guy walked into an ambush by the sensory negation police. It cannot be measured. Therefore, you CANNOT hear it. Your stereo is broken if you do. We are engineers. We know stuff. In fact we know ALL stuff. We are bravely protecting the "weak-minded." What condescending claptrap.

Ah, first the attacks on people's gear and now attacks on their opinions and experiences. Interestingly enough, none of the attacks are based on reliable evidence, and in fact speak against it.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
We are diy's and music lover here not bla bla build and mod stuff please !!
we want the sound better and we use the better component for better sound ...if you think that with cheaper stuff will sound better you have a problem ! if you think that all is the same all work the same you have big problem

More expensive and better have a very tenuous relationship. I really don't have a problem with the right part in the right place chosen by the requirements of the topology. If that means in your mind I have a problem, then so be it. But you won't persuade me you have any meaningful data on the subject, just that you are happy with your system, which is fine.

You do however appear to have a problem with people that use science and logic to chose parts though...

nicoch58 said:
we want the sound better and we use the better component for better sound
Those who understand circuits know that better sound comes from better circuits, not "better components".

if you think that with cheaper stuff will sound better you have a problem !
If you think that more expensive stuff will sound better then your wallet has a problem.

if you think that all is the same all work the same you have big problem
if you think that all is different all work different you have big problem

In normal domestic audio there is only about one place in the system where a resistor might contribute to the sound, and even then at only a very low level (far below transducer problems, for example): the feedback resistor in the power amplifier (as John Curl mentioned). The solution is simple: use a bigger resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.