Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you never rebult the same amp with difference component? you will found that will sound really difference ,and if you do careful you can control this ....
have you change the mox on tw with duelund ? not that better ..tray with kiwane and report here ...H2 maybe ? but will sound where I like ..this on D2904/980000

Have you never rebult the same amp with difference component?

Of course.

you will found that will sound really difference ,

True if I do poorly controlled (sighted) evaluations such as many depend on.

False if I do listening tests that consider the fact that my ears are attached to my brain and are therefore subject to its biases. YMMV.

and if you do careful you can control this ....

I am that careful, but you may not be.

have you change the mox on tw with duelund ?

The only noun in that sentence I comprehend is Dueland, and I've conversed with the man enough to know about his habitual denial of human factors in listening evaluations.

not that better ..tray with kiwane and report here ...H2 maybe ? but will sound where I like ..this on D2904/980000

You are aware that to me, you've started writing in some mystery code? Where do I get the magic decoder ring for decoding your posts? ;-)

billshurv no offence from me ,not simple write in english...
for a lot of my life i use cheaper component ,here at diyaudio I learning a lot thanks to all here, 11 year, near 600 thread subscrived ,Nelson Pass , the great John Curl ,Erno Borbely and so on ,slowly I try better speaker, component ,first caps after resistor and found that ..that all !! is repetible but to ear that small difference we need an ear/diy learning curve only on well optimizer system

Last edited:
You are aware that to me, you've started writing in some mystery code? Where do I get the magic decoder ring for decoding your posts? ;-)

Sorry I mean that the cheaper riken sound better the $ dueleund resistor and mox on my scanspeak tweeter ..maybe H2 distorsion ? but work I enjoy better my music this is the only important fact
PSTo me is clear that the final sound are from schematics+component+layout

Last edited:
This poor guy walked into an ambush by the sensory negation police. It cannot be measured. Therefore, you CANNOT hear it. Your stereo is broken if you do. We are engineers. We know stuff. In fact we know ALL stuff. We are bravely protecting the "weak-minded." What condescending claptrap.

Fair enough, but the problem is that your kind of thinking always is part of the same complex of thinking that refutes controlled listening tests.

In short, representative for this line of thinking is: you may not be able to measure it, it will disappear under controlled listening conditions, but oh my, believe you me and my special ears that there is a difference!

This is what I find condescending, not just to individuals, but to good engineering and science in general.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
DF96 please ..you think that Erno stuff are not good ?

no one is saying that EB has not designed some great circuits over the years. Erno is on record as recommending two types of resistors. Dale and Caddock at 10-20 times the cost. There are many applications for the caddocks and they are fine resistors when you need what they can offer. Not convinced of many places they make a difference in audio.

Dale is good enough for John Curl in the $3000 JC3+ phono stage. So I think I'll listen to him on this one.

Yes but IME the resistor usually has a whole lot less noise and distortion than the rest of the active circuit its attached to.

The nonlinearity enclosed in a feedback loop is diminished by the feedback ratio. The feedback resistor sets the feedback ratio. So its influence is much greater than that of any nonlinear component within the feedback loop. Additionally, it has nearly the entire output voltage across it. This is John's entirely correct point.

Now, is it difficult to choose a proper resistor for that position to take any nonlinearity or effects of parasitic reactances down to totally negligible levels? Not really, but amateurs still make the occasional mistake, especially those who might buy a "special" resistor from a snake oil dealer, assuming the high cost and attached nutty story is some sort of imprimatur of performance. A good quality, mass-produced metal film resistor from a reputable manufacturer, having a wattage rating an order of magnitude greater than what needs to be dissipated, will do fine. If an amp is a special design that swings extremely large voltages (e.g., direct drive for ESLs), one may need to use a series string to get the effects of voltage coefficient low enough to be negligible.

Just basic engineering.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
billshurv please on JC work you must look at Blowtorch not at parasound stuff !!

Not sure John has ever stated what resistors the late Bob Crump chose. Each blowtorch was apparently hand voiced to the client requirements. As two have never been seen together we cannot tell. So pray tell what you know that we don't about component choices.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
no one is saying that EB has not designed some great circuits over the years. Erno is on record as recommending two types of resistors. Dale and Caddock at 10-20 times the cost. There are many applications for the caddocks and they are fine resistors when you need what they can offer. Not convinced of many places they make a difference in audio.

Dale is good enough for John Curl in the $3000 JC3+ phono stage. So I think I'll listen to him on this one.

EB likes shinkoh.

Status
Not open for further replies.