Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold finish gives better high frequencies and a lush soundstage of course!
I got some 1 megs with gold! These were made long before cork sniffing audiofools. So, any technical plus and minuses to gold, or is this just another case of military/government spending run amuck? (Me likes the Bendix 6900, so amuck not too bad :p). Do you see the possibility of a boutique business where in addition to cryogenically freezing everything, you can get your leads and pins coated in gold too?

Agreed (last 3 posts).

Let's face it, these products are likely to have been engineered to give the desired vacuum tube sound, and that is how it is done.

I remember when sonic transparency was a goal for all designers of audio gear, but those days disappeared when boutique audio appeared on the scene in the 1970s.
The reviewer liked the Jadis amps and it does call into question the whole mindset prior to high end audio in the 1970s (Boutique is later) where designers tried to get the best specs, so consumers would buy their stuff.

For me you kind of build a system around the amps you like, so don't hook up any Jadis up to an Apogee. I use push-pull directly heated triodes with speakers with smooth 8 ohm load. One pair has a feedback switch and despite measuring better, those amps stay in the no feedback position.

Compared to push-pull tube amps with more modern tubes, the directly heated triodes sounds more solid state like (inherently much lower output impedance without feedback) and less euphonic and seem very sonically transparent. To be sure (now in bigger room) I'd like to have and need much more power, but its tough.

An underlying factor in any system is noise. S/N is a start, but it seems their are other audible noise like factors that seem to follow similar rules. The Jadis may be an attempt to achieve something special in this area, but that being said a Krell loving acquaintance just described a local singled ended parallel 45 amp as the worst of sound from a 1950's jukebox. Can't defend the amp as truly euphonic but also imparted quite a sound. Still scratching my head on that one, but high sensitivity speakers require incredible noise performance and the background did not seem to be very black with the colorful 45s. Unfortunately, I don't think a resistor change will help. Another ugh! on that article is that for my 6B4G tweeter amp(sometimes tweeter/mid) to get more power fixed bias is coming my way or some kind of insanely expensive amp running a quad of 6B4G. :smash:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Couldn't find the old Fisher so this will have to do.

Some Western electric Ballyntine nonsense for the mad scientists:
hqdefault.jpg

I think it was the ULTIMATE precision glass resistors that I used, it was one of the only variables
that I could not be sure of. I hope to use my present test equipment to find something, if I can. Kovar leads?

I once tried some Corning glass capacitors that I had hoped would work well for RIAA use,
but never liked them and used Siemens PP film instead. Those were much better.

Last edited:
Was the previous owner a smack junkie ?
Missing remote (which I figured out and arrived from ebay for about $7 before the Placette). Was being pushed to get one and couldn't resist any longer at that price. The recommender runs two of the buffered units (which is about $14,000 worth of passive.) Luckily balanced ampfiliers and tubes don't mix unless you like spending lots of money, so at $350 it works really, really well for me. (Boutique volume control urge satiated, check that off audiophile bucket list.) My system was dubbed "Massive Attack" after the Placette by local phile and the old canon shots and the like just went through the roof (9k Placette for "noninductive" 20k Daven.)

My own interconns are shamefully capacitive (triamp system!) and that might be part of the story. (Aelph Ono phono with 200 ohm output impedance sounded dead into Placette.) On the road, shot out a deluxe unbuffered Placette balanced setup against ARC LS25 with CCAs driving 30 feet of interconnect (wonderfully uncapacitive interconnect that states low capacitance until 20m, gotta get cap meter on those interconns!) Somehow the Placette won especially in the bass department. The custom phono was 75 ohms out driving this, but digital PS audio unit was 200 ohms. Not a problem. Scratching my head, but Bulk foil does some magic. (The Audio Research did acquit itself extremely well, but can't touch that bulk foil Placette bass.) Continued head scratching on the whole thing, but bulk foils definitely can do somethings right.:confused:

I once tried some Corning glass capacitors that I had hoped would work well for RIAA use,
but never liked them and used Siemens PP film instead. Those were much better.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've got some bizarro 3.3m resistors that make these look rather modern. Any claim to fame for these rare glass encased resistors?

No, but the absence of papers about the contributions of resistors to sound quality might be taken by some to be instructive.
<snip>
I'm absolutely certain that the information is out there, but people who know for sure most probably are keeping it for themselves. Please do not forget that their living might depend on such information. Knowledge is power, as they say.. ;)
If someone can't read between the lines here or do not want to accept what more experienced in the field people say, fine, but this someone don't have to expect that such people will supply him/her with any scientific data at his/her first request.

Is their a reason (like a technical one) why Asian audiophiles just love vintage parts and components, etc?
Technical? No. It has to do with their mentality. They're trying to recreate and to relive the American and European past, which I personally find fascinating.
Old Vespa rollers, old Levi's jeans, WE cinema equipment.. you name it..

Last edited:
Those are the sort of resistors I am suspicious of.
Infamous then! They probably sound best with some LED lights behind them. I must say in the former land of military surplus heaven, those are pretty rare birds. I've got some resistors that look like some wire wound in a bunch and dipped in brown... Never had the guts to use those. Not sure what the glass if for.... aaagh
Antique Radio Forums • View topic - Glass Resistor

Precision high value resistors it seems.
"Glass resistors are precision resistors mounted inside a glass tube to minimize leakage. Normal resistors have relatively low insulation resistance as compared with glass. In a glass resistor there is no coating on the element itself, so no leakage path in contact with it.<P>It also provides an environmental seal to keep humidity from changing the resistance.<P>This only matters for high-value resistors, obviously. These are very high quality parts."

Well mono was ampex, stereo to '61 was Ampex 300-3 and Westrex for the 35mm era. All restored and used for the 1990 reissues that Wilma Fine did. No mention in my searches of any resistors being changed for metal film types when they restored them!
Just listened to a WCF free SACD and not bad, not bad.
71x0dgeV91L._SX355_.jpg

Speaker Corner LP of this is decent, but not great:

(I think I like the SACD better :eek:) Must be the absence of old crappy resistors.

If you are really ate up you also restore the entire record cutting chain too:
Seandavies.jpg

And charge $500 per LP and laugh all the way to the bank with vintage everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.