Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Aside: can't remember who but someone commented a few years ago how carbon comp can be remarkably stable over time despite rumours to the contrary. A quick dig into my 1966 Radford STA25 shows that can be the case. So for all their horrors, drift of value over time doesn't need to be one.

Still replacing them all...

It won't sound the same..just so you know before you do it..

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Last time I powered it up it went 'fzzt'. Don't want to hear that again :p

:eek: quick fit some MF from RS components..you know it makes sense..

Lay back in that Bright fizzy splashy stuff and grit your teeth at the amazing highs..then grimace at the incredible gut rumbling woolly lows..:D

Or fit All non metallic tantalum for that dark bloated sound...:confused:

Regards
M. Gregg

I consider myself fortunate in not being able to hear resistor differences. Saves me time and money, not to mention the mental struggle of reconciling my inability to measure the resulting performance differences. That said, I've had several situations in instrumentation design where resistor differences were obvious. In one case, an imaging system, the difference in noise levels between thick film 10 kohm SMT parts, and identical looking metal film parts, was astounding. It was the difference between shippable product and junk. In another case of a high voltage amplifier, we used a string of series resistors in the feedback network, same topology as a hifi amp. For some reason we bought metal oxide resistors. The linearity of the amp was lousy. We changed to metal films and bingo, no linearity problems. I've never been able to duplicate this, but at least in that instance the parts had a voltage coefficient problem. One thing to be careful of when looking at noise is that the noise generation of all resistor types is about the same- unless current is flowing through them. A wise friend once said, "test it the way you use it."

riding the garbage truck

During holiday breaks in post-18 school years, I worked 5-shift jobs at a distribution center of the largest supermarket chain here.

First couple of times at the fruit & cold storage section, but for some reason I kept forgetting the refrigerated butter way down at the bottom of the order packing-lists, very next time they put me at the return-bottle conveyor system.

Thing is, I have some (b)latent ego issues, my self-esteem can't even handle getting whooped by an automated belt.
Back then, we had a soda brand here that used bottles which were a lot heavier than the 34 fl oz. content, even the plastic screw-cap was a heavyweight.
Took me about a day to figure out that the only way to beat the belt, was by not taking out 1 crate at a time, but 4 instead, 2 in each hand.

For the thick-walled bottle, that implied lifting 80lb minimum for 2 full crates by each hand, +160lb total, 8 hours on end.
To make it a bit more interesting, to stack crates on a fork lift pallet, one starts by bending forward for the bottom layer, but once halfway the stack, crates have to be lifted higher by the layer.
To and from every coffee break, it was all you can eat plus stuff in your pocket of every type of fruit for free.
In 5-shift, all one does is work, eat, sleep.

The insolent belt launched my biceps way passed the 20'' mark, got paid 3 times minimum wage of a 23+ year old for it, 6 times minimum wage of an 18-year old.
Other advantage was that the belt job enabled one to beat the S out of any Gym Fitness F....t !

(As of a year, we have a fully equipped work-out room on the 3d floor. My g/f's youngest of 18 minus a month, prefers to shell out $50/month instead, to spend time with his friends at the village gym 7/7. All he does, plus eat mac and chicken, plus protein powder from a 2 gallon plastic container, plus garbage food, plus look at himself in a mirror)

Last edited:
those resistors?

They're in an Amroh cardboard box (Muiden Holland printing), I don't have reliable data on paper of them.
They came along with the entire retirement estate of a valve veteran.

I'm not that old. After slipping on the stairs some years ago, I landed with my neck on the metal edge of the steps, resulted in a neck hernia, nerve transmission issues, plus tinnitus. I'm a veggie, the tinnitus is a goner, but it lasted long enough to realise that folks who suffer from tinnitus should be the very last to make claims of hearing resistor details. In particular those who crossed the legal retirement frontier.

(Anything you can do, I can do Better, I can do Anything better than You ! Except Butter)

Last edited:
You require a tech paper for that ?

No, but the absence of papers about the contributions of resistors to sound quality might be taken by some to be instructive.

As things stand, we have one paper circa 1957, based on a kind of resistor that rode off into the sunset over 30 years ago.

Altering layout can save a THD bundle on an AP read-out, but why settle for one or the other ? (Dales are indeed mighty-fine sounding resistors)

After reading several hundred posts on some days claiming "Sounds better" for all kinds of improbable things including LAN and USB cables I tend to toss the unsubstantiated ones into the same @#!^ bucket.

That said, I've seen the benefits of parts and cable layout on my own test bench. Good modern resistors, not so much.

So, in my book its not one or another,but the one that matters for measurements that I can do with pretty sensitive gear but not SOTA, versus the one that does not.

And that all said, the threshold of hearing these sorts of things is on the easy side of -80 dB so while -120 or -140 dB is fun to chatter about, its not all that relevant to listening enjoyment.

But the most audible distraction will be the effect on the frequency response of all but the most equiresistive speakers.

Agreed (last 3 posts).

Let's face it, these products are likely to have been engineered to give the desired vacuum tube sound, and that is how it is done.

I remember when sonic transparency was a goal for all designers of audio gear, but those days disappeared when boutique audio appeared on the scene in the 1970s.

Status
Not open for further replies.