Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is their a reason (like a technical one) why Asian audiophiles just love vintage parts and components, etc?
Two years back there was a Garrard 301 on sale for Rs. 1,00,000 on Delhi online classifieds. That is roughly $ 1500. Even half of that amount doesn't makes sense. Pretty high price to pay for the torque which sacrifices rumble figures. Unless people who buy them upgrade critical parts. But I have also seen people use them as is which is strange.
Regards.

Two years back there was a Garrard 301 on sale for Rs. 1,00,000 on Delhi online classifieds. That is roughly $ 1500. Even half of that amount doesn't makes sense. Pretty high price to pay for the torque which sacrifices rumble figures. Unless people who buy them upgrade critical parts. But I have also seen people use them as is which is strange.
Regards.
Chump change in China. Rest assurred their is a method to the madness and I think this is just some very rich vintagephiles in a hurry to go back in time. The Hong Kong Audio Society publishes a monthly telephone book which makes me want to learn Chinese which would be easy accept for the letters.:confused:

This enthusiasm has led to some parts inflation for the average DIY guy, but the worldest smallest violin is tuning up because the price of vintage British classical vinyl has gone up about a magnitude over the last 20 years. A top example is the price of a very nice system ($8-10k). Strings are the thing.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Answered my own question

The company states that, just like its CD transfers in the 1990s, only the original masters have been used for the new SACDs. The multi-channel tracks were mastered using Saki Magnetics three-channel heads (specially built for this series) mounted on Studer A80R or Studer A820 1" recorders, with analog-to-digital conversion done exclusively via DSD, using dCS equipment.
Read more at Mercury Living Presence On SACD | Stereophile.com

The fact that you get the original WCF red book version, the DSD and the raw 3 channel master tape does seem to make it worth getting at least one of these to compare.

Answered my own question

The fact that you get the original WCF red book version, the DSD and the raw 3 channel master tape does seem to make it worth getting at least one of these to compare.

Need a third Centuar! Wow. Hi rez neophyte myself. Burning mine out to 24/96 dvd for playback on my hotrodded Wolfson Pioneer BDP-51fd. Something wrong about expensive used digital. Some maintain 24/48 best. The music dvd. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Unending series of Sony Beta like hd formats.

I would like to tell a short story about 'secret sauce' in regards to KFC chicken. Most of us have an outlet near us, but its taste quality is a shallow hint of what it started as.
Perhaps 70 years ago or so, Sanders had a restaurant that served interstate traffic. This was before interstate freeway system was made, and there was lots of business. Well, the interstate freeway bypassed his restaurant and he went out of business, BUT not without knowledge of how to make a good chicken dinner. He could have retired, or whatever, but he decided to take his chicken recipe on the road, and get others to make it, for a royalty fee or whatever. He actually went around to different hotels and restaurants and cooked up a demonstration of his chicken, etc, and a number of independent restaurants went for it. This is where I first tried Col Saunders chicken, here in Berkeley in 1964. It was great! A shock, a surprise, a taste treat for take out chicken. I went back again and again.
However, then there came KFC, or the commercial part that took back the franchises from the independent restaurants and put up what you see today. Not that great, is it?
Still, at first, the col would go regularly and check out his chicken, and for a decade or two it remained pretty good (for take out), but after he died, it all went down hill, to the mid-fi product it is today. That is how 'practical' people run a business. Same with audio manufacturing. You can keep the 'secret sauce' or you can replace it with something cheaper or more convenient. People know the difference, even if the 'measurements' remain the same.

I rely on modern, up-to-date audio reviewers to tell me whether I am keeping up with the competition. Audio quality IS a 'fuzzy' subject, just like the taste of good food or wine. I happen to specialize in audio design, but others that I respect are world class chefs, or selective wine choices, or even classical acoustic guitars and violins. Double blind tests often show that there are 'no' significant differences with any of these things. Could it be the double blind test that is at fault? It certainly does not give us much to work with. It think the double blind test is misused for audio and many other subjective comparisons.

So we are *again* talking about how something *might* have tasted, 50-60 years ago, impossible to prove because Time Machines aren't legal, no samples of Col Sanders secret sauce have been preserved, so we must rely on somebody's fuzzy memories ?

How DiyAudio !!!! ;)

No,

You can go to the Claudia Sanders Dinner House in Shelbyville Kentucky to get the original.

Local Favorite. So the next time you go to the Kentucky Derby be sure to stop by.

Status
Not open for further replies.