Playstation as CD-player

When you posted this it got me excited. The price point is right and just looks like it will work and has a small form factor.

I seen this also on the site " the LCDPS offers two identical high-performance, very low noise, adjustable output, CLRC low current supplies (1.5A max) on a single board. It is an exceptionally quiet with low-impedance, low-ripple output."

Reading this makes me think the kit would be all that would be needed, no additional filtering.

I am itching to bite the bullet on this but really should wait to better minds give their feedback.

Plus that price includes shipping

Here's a picture
its not too big, Have plans for that
PS0ne case in the background too
as a transport only :)-))

Regards
Anthony

Attachments

• c64power.gif
    c64power.gif
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,228
AnthonyPT said:
Hi
Have been pondering if a Commodore
C64 power supply could work for
the PS1 It comes with 1.5 amps@5VDc
& 1.0amp@ 9v AC. Fast diodes, external regs
and extra caps would finish the job and the price
is right! Its the 1.0 amp 9V that maybe not beenough.
Any thoughts?

Regards

AnthonyPT

Hi Anthony,

Is the commodore a linear supply or another Switched Mode ?

9001 laser

It looks like mrskinny and willbewill are the only ones to install a 900x laser into a 100x.

Past post say you have to modify the 9002 drive by cutting off 3 plastic legs and a plastic bracket, and the 1002 cover opening has to have one edge slightly enlarged.

Wondering if any ones have pics of this.

Had a hell of a time making these pictures small enough to fit the file size limitation, so I hope these will suffice.... The picture below shows the bottom of the 9001 drive. The arrows point to the round "tabs" that need to be removed. As you will see on your 1001 drive these tabs are not present.

Attachments

• ps1-01.jpg
    ps1-01.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,088
The final step is the case cutting. The photo shows the part of the 9001 drive that is different. This part will stick out too far to allow the top cover to be replaced. You could just cut this piece off the drive as I did. A better choice, though, would be to cut the opening in the case to fit the drive. That way, if the new drive develops problems at some point, this will be one less step to redo. Good luck!

I got the first sound from my 1002 tonight! Its got the Mick F output stage bypass and the original power supply rehoused until the budget allows for a linear supply.
I've no experience of high end players to judge it against, but it is without doubt the best sounding sub 25 pound CD player I've ever heard.
Many thanks to all for the info and a special thanks to Mick F and his splendid photos.

Hi
The SCPH1002 with a BAM assembly
is my favourite. Since the Psone BAM
does not experience PSU heat and was
the last unit made it should perform
best of all. Certainly better than a used
1996 ACM or the ill fated AAM.
If you don't want to cut the 1001/2
housing the old black acm/aam covers
should fit. I had an ADM in a 5502
with broken gear problems and a AEM
in a dead 9002 which had been trodden on.
So swapped the laser transport base. Used
the 5502 laser and it worked fine till I
got to three spots on the cd that always
stutter. Lesson is to make sure the outer tracks
work well too. On the lookout for AEM/ADM bases
no motors necessary but good clear guides and
always hope for cheap PsOnes with BAM transports
to go in my other 4 1002. See you can get extension
cables to use BAMs in 550x units but may need to
glue on extensions rather than hack them off as in
the 900x to 100x fitting !

regards

AnthonyPT

Attachments

• ps1_1002_bam.jpg
    ps1_1002_bam.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,112
right, i just finished reading the whole thread (took me the better part of yesterday, and all of this morning, good job im ill....).
i have an spch 1002 and a unspecific psx coming in the post. eventually i want to modify it to the extreme.

a couple of questions though:

as i have dc blocking caps in my pre-amp, can i take the signal straight from the dac to the rca jacks? whats the purpose of putting a resistor to ground? casting off gain?

what kind of switches work best for mounting inside a new chassis for playback control? push to make? rocker? i will probably only need to use play/pause.

does anyone know a good source for 'vinyl dye' in the uk?

thanks in advance!

(i must admit, im a bit exited, the spch 1002 should be arriving any time soon...)

well i was expecting the scph 1002 to come when the delivery van pulled up... turns out that the mystery psx i was expecing arrived instead, and its an scph 1001! now its time to look for a 110v tranny......... the transport is the one with the metal sliders too.
cant wait to get it up and running, got a lot of dust to clean out first...