Playstation as CD-player

LPS BOM

I am working on a BOM for Mick’s linear power supply. Being this will be my first psu I am hoping to get some help with this.

R3, R5, R6, R7, R8
1/4W 1% metal film.

R1, R10
2W or 3W wirewound

R2, R9
5W or 10W wirewound

I think for the resistors I am ok.
Where I can use some help is I am not sure what type to use and the volts for the capacitors.

Poly film but unsure of the specifics
C3, C4, C7, C8, C10, C14

Electrolytic but unsure of the specifics
C1, C2, C5, C6, CC9, C11, C12, C13, C15

I have a couple of questions that need verification on the other parts once I get past this. When I get this completed I will put up an attachment with part #’s that can be referenced.

Thanks.

Attachments

• mick.jpg
    mick.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 979
Re: LPS BOM

ecir38 said:
I am working on a BOM for Mick’s linear power supply. Being this will be my first psu I am hoping to get some help with this.

R3, R5, R6, R7, R8
1/4W 1% metal film.

R1, R10
2W or 3W wirewound

R2, R9
5W or 10W wirewound

I think for the resistors I am ok.
Where I can use some help is I am not sure what type to use and the volts for the capacitors.

Poly film but unsure of the specifics
C3, C4, C7, C8, C10, C14

Electrolytic but unsure of the specifics
C1, C2, C5, C6, CC9, C11, C12, C13, C15

I have a couple of questions that need verification on the other parts once I get past this. When I get this completed I will put up an attachment with part #’s that can be referenced.

Thanks.

R1 and R10 should NOT be wirewound, you dont want stray inductance in that position! Use 2W metalfilm or the like.

Usually film capacitors are rated high enough anyway, like 63 or 100 V. Use polypropylene types for C7 and C14. For the others you can use polyethylene.

The electrolytics should be rated high enough, everything above say 16V is fine. Low ESR types are favourable.

john blackburn said:
Does anyone know of a supplier for the cinch connectors Mick uses for the power lead? I can find other types but not the "cut to length" variety.

My umbilical? Nothing exotic. It is self made using Din plugs (not cinch) with a lock ring. I have mine from a local store, but I guess they can be easily found anywhere.

Mick

Mick, I’ll stop bothering you soon on the BOM as I am getting down to the last few questions.

The MSR860 and a Low ESR 4700uf are backordered from the place I would like to order. The MSR860 will be replaced with a Schottky SB560 and the capacitor with a general purpose one. I think this will be alright for now and can always replace these when they become available. Note of this will be made on the BOM.

For the trimmer I am thinking 1/2w 25 turn will be alright and for the 1N400x I am thinking 1N4002 100V 1A will be alright.

The 4.3 Zener raises a couple of questions. You say that the Zener’s are not very precise. By this I think you mean that you may need to try a higher voltage one to get the 4.3V drop. I am not sure of what amperage and wattage one I should be looking for.

Finally I have a couple of questions on the toroid. I am looking at a 9+9V 15VA. Will 15VA be enough or should I go with a 25VA? Do you have a recommendation for what values to go with for resistors R2 and R9 with the 9+9V?

Thanks Again.

Buy more Zeners that you need and test them to get the correct value. You may need up to 10 to find a good one. There is a lot of scatter.
Use a normal 500mW type.

For R2 and R2: both rails draw 1A max so you need at least a 1W resistor. I used 5W types in both rails. They become warm but not too much.

As for the toriod, you need at least 8V*1A + 4V*1A = 12A. In order to have some headroom rather use 25 than 15VA. (I wrote this on my website :att'n: )

Mick

Bom

Here is the BOM I put together for Mick's Linear power supply.
http://dogbreath.de/PS1/LinearPSU_V2/LinearPSU_V2.html
I think everything looks good thanks to Mick's help. If something doesn't look right please let me know and I will adress it.

MSR860 and 4700uf were backordered when this BOM was put together. MSR860 can be replaced with a SB560 Schottky and the 4700uf can be replaced with a general purpose one.

Note: BOM does not include everything that will be needed.
ie. 9+9V 25VA toroidal, breadboard, enclosure, cable and connectors, terminal blocks, fuse holder, optional net filter etc.

Unfortunantly everyone will not be able to use the part #'s of the supplier I will use due to their location. The description of the item should point you in the right direction. Hopefully this help others out that weren't sure of the specifics for the parts needed like myself.

If you save the pic to your hard drive you should be able to print a larger pic.

Thanks again Mick for kepping up with this thread, I am grateful.

Attachments

• bom1.jpg
    bom1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,430