PCM56K iv resistor value?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, can't get my head around this, you've got 4 dac chip at 1200ohm series output resistance each, divided by the 4 gives 300ohm series output resistance?
300ohm series with 8nf to ground which would give a -3db @ 66khz

So are you saying Benhard that I cannot use the output impedance of the dacs (300ohm) as the series resistance with a cap to ground to make a 2nd order low pass filter?, I cannot have a low pass filter here because the input of the i/v stage is close to zero?

Cheers George

Hey , I have some news, Ill try tomorrow the mod : 375R i/v and 50nf // cap ! I found some 15nf i might try later.

Test with multimeter shows no dc , no standing waves, buzzing or nasty sampling noise ! I get around 300mv voltage swing from music :) Tomorrow = test :) first on cheap system , then good amp cheap speaker, then the real thing !!!

It works, bass is good.

I will reduce the resistor to 200 ohm for i/v , there is too much audible distortion still at only 375 R.

Bernhard , how do I calculate the Z and the value of the cap for filter ? what cap size I should use to filter iv at 375 R , and i/v at 200 R ,

I wish I knew how to calculate this !!!! help. :whazzat:

This is the way I see it correct me if I'm wrong.
If your 15nf (15000pf) goes to ground after the dacs output, the the dacs series output resistance is 1200ohm, this with the 15nf (15000pf) to ground after it, gives you a -3db @ 8846hz (8.8khz) which in my opinion is way to low, you won't have any highs.

Halve the cap 7.5nf (7500pf) and you get -3db @ 17692hz (17.6khz) this is still a bit to low.

Half it again to 3.75nf (3750pf) and you get -3db @35384hz (35.4khz)
Cheers George

Ok Bernhard if the series output impedance per channel of a single PCM56 is not 1200ohm, (which I think is what the data sheet says), are you saying to us that it is 250ohm? and how did you measure that?
I know you have the 1200ohm internal resistance drawn going to ground,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1807567#post1807567
but I have always believed that the output impedance of any amp, voltage or current output is it's series output resistance resistance, not what a DMM can measure to ground?
Cheers George

aparatusonitus said:

Input impedance is Re for a given transistor and current, my guess is less than 10R.

I have a feeling it's more like 25ohm, as when I placed a 100ohm in series with the input of the Transimpedance I/V amp, it droped the output at the output rca's by 2v, from 9v to 7v.
Was the 100ohm in series that I instaled acting as a voltage divider with the input impedance of the Transimpedance I/V amp?
Cheers George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.