• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

NP D1 DAC clone with enhancement

Hi Spencer,

I am wondering if it would be possible to use an external clock on the D1V33. I read a post (number 4 in this thread) but it was the D1V3. Is it still possible on the D1V33 ?

Actually I'd like to have a masterclock for both the DAC and my CD drive.

Thanks for your halp.

PS : BTW my dac is working, your assembly manual was most helpful. I doubted to be able to mount it but it went smoothly following the instructions :)

Recently I tried RIFA PEG124 100u/100V on the 4 output capacitors and the sonic performance is very good. Silmic II has been used and it is also better than Muse BP and the sound is a bit silky and soft. PEG124 give the highest dynamics in all frequency and is a very good capacitor for signal coupling in this DAC. Choose the capacitor that suit your sonic taste preference.

Just a bit update on the Rifa PEG124, it is a bit bright to me for mid and high. Have tried Jensen 40u/450V normal audio E-cap and the result is very good. Smooth mid and high with soft deep bass (mellow) plus the signature sound of Jensen cap. Expensive but worth a try for those who love tube sound. I am going to summarize some observation to the D1V33 for capacitors and IV resistor in my blog soon.

I have some bennic 10uF caps on their way to me. I have tried these before in a phonostage with very good results. It will be interesting to try them in this DAC as well.

Spencer.. so if I change the jumpers on the DIR9001, it will accept 16 and 24 bit data? What about the sampling rate - will it take 96k?

sorry for the newbie question....

Fran

Rifa PEG is cheap from RS Component.

No 96k for this DAC yet. Reason is SM5842 and PCM63 limitations.

As I said before SM5847 can be up to 96k. Problem is I do not like PCM1704 sound which can go up to 96k and 24 bit. The bass is just too shy and thus too bright sound. Need to experiment parallel PCM1704 later.

Another way is to use SRC chip after DIR9001 to accept 96k and output fixed Fs 48k to SM5842 but I also do not like the metallic and artificial sound from SRC chip.

So still finding other good solutions!