• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

NP D1 DAC clone with enhancement

Hahaa......my D1V33 board is singing. :D

After a couple of hours burnt in, it wins my Pioneer T09 CD player's built-in DAC in every aspect! :D I think it will further improve with time and after casing.

Spencer, thank you so much for a wonderful kit. Will you be selling your PCM63P-Y's? :D

Samoloko,

The type of cap at pin 1, 3 and 4 is more important than the value. Different cap type will give you very different sonic signature. Choose the one you like most. I have no specific value to recommend but I think 47u is a good value to use.

The supply, the decouple cap type, the value, the IV design and other component use will add up to a final spectrum content which will be very different. My experience is that it take some time to tune the sound to get what you want.

Hello Spencer

I have few questions.

I have a SM5840, can it be use as a drop-in replacement to the SM5842 ?

I also have few new old stock TDA1541A, I could use one in your D1 clone.

Did you ever think about how to use the TDA1541A in your D1 clone ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
1. SM5840 is a very old chip with much poor spec than SM5842. Example is 20 bit only and stop band att is around 55db. 5842 is 24 bit and >117db stop bank att. I have no experience on 5840 but my best guess is that 5840 is a low grade DF chip.

2. I have used jfet IV for TDA1541 here: FET Audio TDA1541 SZ DAC

3. To me TDA1541 is still not as good as 20 bit PCM63 and the difference is very much, not marginal.

thats why asking
I build It and It Is a step ahead from original
at now I use SE not balanced
I just wanted to know If you have compared - but It seems no
one question - at the beginning of your I/V stage design you have different supply voltages - 24Vdc
now you have lowered to 20 Vdc - Is this sweet pot - also what Is bias current of your design
does your last dac design use balanced reclocking

This picture show I have tried the original D1 IV in a CD player.

I think the first K170 jfet IV is a bit better but after I use the K369 in parallel, it is a step forward due to double gain of the jfets - 40mS.

The bias is about 8 to 10mA for the final jfet IV and thus I need to use two in parallel due to heat issue. Lower supply voltage is to ensure not over heat the jfets.

I do not use any reclocking in my design yet. I think a ASRC chip will do all the job of reclocking.

Attachments

• DSC_1738.jpg
    DSC_1738.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 532
To close the sales of D1V33, I would like to announce where I can find those PCM63 chip especially KY and Y version from Yamaha proaudio equipment.

Model - chip per set
D2040 - 8 pcs Y
DA8X - 8 pcs either KY or Y (mostly KY)
DEQ5 - 2 pcs Y
DEQ5E - 2 pcs Y
ProR3 - 2 pcs J
YDP2006 - 2 pcs K
YDG2030 - 2 pcs K
DA2X - TDA1547 x 2 pcs.

Good luck for your equipment search! Spencer