New-building of my F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
And, this is how I fit the 5K-thermistors . . .

Cheers,

>>:)<<

Attachments

• chassisconst11.jpg
    chassisconst11.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,076
Thermistor setup

:)

Thermistor resistor value changes bias.
Even blowing air or touching can change bias.
(Sometimes thinking that this amp works as constant-temperature oven .) Bias depend on thermistor value.

I think reference temperature sensing point is near and close to (or on the surface of ) MOSFET or epoxy insulated contact with Heatsink.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: about output transistors

umut1001 said:
hi..there is 2types of fairchild n channel mosfets..FQA19N20 and FQA19N20C ( low input capacitance).which one sounds better?what are the diffirences?.we know that IRFP9240 is not good for common collector circuits..can we use irfp240 and fairchild p channel together?.is there any experienced one?.thanks

The FQA19N20 is obsolete, FQA19N20C is available and very good, I've used them in Aleph, Zen, Nelson uses them...go for it!! Which one's are you using? Your asking about Fairchild's FQA19N20C in one sentence, then your asking about using IRFP240's in another.(?) Regardless, yes, you can use the IRFP240 (N ch) with Fairchild's FQA12P20 (P ch). Unless you have a bunch of IRFP240's on hand, I'd just stick to FQA19N20C and FQA12P20.

Joined 2006
>> :worship: <<
Thank you very much, friends.
I'm healthy physically and mentally.
I just have a small defect in the small part of my body tho . . .

I came back home two hours ago.
Wow, by chance my wife found the pass-DIY logo so that I tried on this new F5.

Now I'm listening to Paul McCartney's "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard" CD album, which is my 1st son's. Particularly, I like the 3rd song, "Jenny Wren". Somewhat sadness in the song tho . . .
The sound gives me very nice atmosphere of the song . . . wow . . . I really like . . .

If 'mindengine' is reading this, how do you like the sound with your F5? Which pre and speakers?

Cheers,

Attachments

• chassisconst19.jpg
    chassisconst19.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 773
Joined 2006
Today my system is set up as follows:

• Marantz super audio CD player SA-14
  • G&W T-2.1A pre amp (Chinese tube amp)
  • DIY F5 power amp
  • ATC SCM7 speakers

I'm a fan of "I'm your Fan".

I'm now listening to the second song, Hey, that's no way to say goodbye, Ian McCulloch and the third song, I can't forget, Pixies. I think these two songs as noisy songs because of too much energy in guitars and keyboards. I used to skip these two songs. But, today I'm enjoying these two too.

Why?
I don't feel any noisiness, but feel musical loudness . . . The guitars and keyboards appear with nice textures and harmonies . . . Resolution and transparency are also very good.

Attachments

• i'm your fan.jpg
    i'm your fan.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,206
Joined 2006
steenoe said:

. . . The better the system is, the fewer songs need to be skipped;) Maybe the F5 finally made the last details klick into place?

. . .

Steen,

Yes, it did. The F5 made the last details kick into place, puffing out all musical notes through the speakers. Let's listen to the motion picture music, once. Full of sweet aroma and sometimes dramatic Glen Hansard's voices . . . I love all songs in this album. And, the worn-off openings in the guitar are impressive.
>> :up::up: <<

The moment spurs me to watch the movie, once, tonite once again . . . Yeah, I will do on wide screen and this music system!

Cheers,

Attachments

• once.jpg
    once.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,126
Joined 2006
Paid Member
steenoe said:

Leonard Cohen is a very special singer/songwriter.

:)

Agreed.

Babowana, Before someone else asks it, what do you think the F4 does better or worse than the F5 and visa-versa.

I am getting the vibe that the F5 has more articulation and nuance in upper register. Both are qouted as being high resolution amps. Does one have a different "tonal charachter" than the other. No mud slinging guys.

Mike

Joined 2006
Hi, Mike

I feel that F4 (0dB gain) sound is a bit relaxed compared with F5 (15dB gain). It seems to be due to the different gains. I think they have quite similar tonal characters. Relatively, F5 has a spicy high and low punch, but the difference from F4 is minor. Of cource, I like both.

Later, I will compare the sounds of the following three:

• F4
  • F5
  • Babo Zen

But, before I do that, I want to have some measurements with my new F5 first. Moreover, I need an earobic practice at least one week after each chemo ;)

Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.