New-building of my F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hawthornes

Hi enzedone

Thanks for the feedback, I also have the Augies, I have a Reckhorn A401 for them and I am going with the F5 for the SI coax 15 in. I am going to have a look at the Fan cooled Heat sink tunnel that Jaycar have and also their 300VA toroidal transformer.

Cheers,
Lesp

Hi enzedone

Yes you can't help but lay out serious money, our dollar does'nt go far. Thanks for the info on the transformers. The A401 was from DIY HiFi in Hong Kong.The deal was without problems, but the amp only ran for 10 Mins got very hot and blew up!. I have repaired it ok ( replaced op transistor ) not sure what the problem was, still to do some checks with the scope. I think that the unit I got was a repaired unit.One of the joys of shopping on the internet. The concept of the A401 is good, maybe I just got a lemon.

Cheers,
Les.

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
In another thread, I have just completed the building of B1.

Now, I have my system set-up as follows:

• Passive Pre
  • B1 Buffer
  • Tube Pre Amp (optional)
  • F5 Power Amp
  • ATC SCM7 Speakers

The passive pre has 2x6 input source selector. And, it also has dual mono 47K 24-step ladder type attenuators. These will work as volume control and at the same time as loudness-balancing control between the left and the right channel.

My B1 is just a buffer amp, with neither input source selector nor volume control.

The tube pre amp has no input source selector. But, it has 100k stereo volume pot and quite high voltage gain. And, this tube pre is optional case-by-case.

And, F5 . . .
And, speakers . . .

Wow! What a sound! Softly killing me . . .

Season's Greeting,

>>:)<<

Attachments

• system set-up.jpg
    system set-up.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,092
Joined 2006
I like these CD albums--nice music and good sound quality. Accordingly, I like to put these albums to my CD player quite often . . . and one day I have found a common denominator among these albums. All four are mastered by the same mastering engineer, Greg Calbi. It seems that the sound qualities of CD albums are very much depending on mastering engineers, and Greg Calbi must be one of excellent mastering engineers.

The sound of albums is not bright. I would like to say the sound is on a bit dark side, and edges of the sound are a bit rounded to add warmness and sweetness. F5 let me clearly feel this.

F5 is analyzing the instrumental details and arranging them very properly here and there on a deep sound stage through the speakers which are known as small and power hungry babies. The presence of them and the natural performances are also great!

Season's Greetings,

:xmastree:

Attachments

• mastered by greg calbi.jpg
    mastered by greg calbi.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 920
Joined 2006
Alanis Morissette, Supported Former Infatuation Junkie

7. The Couch
In the scene, there is a small hill. On the top of the hill she is standing alone. She looks somewhat small, and moving slowly herself dancing . . . the dark clouds are approaching from far behind her, accompanying dreadful thunders . . . F5 describes the thunders (drums?) very long-distance deep.

8.-13.

14. and 15. :smash: Tracks are badly scratched so that I have to skip these two.

16.-17.

All nice . . . I like this CD album.

Season's Greetings

:xmastree:

Attachments

• alanis morissette.jpg
    alanis morissette.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 801
Joined 2006
No more woodies . . . :(

I have several hats . . . but no such magic of Papa's hat . . .
Still my head feels cold. My heart feels freezing . . .
I have to focus on no thinking, but eating well and sleeping well.

I put out Babo Zen.
The difference between Babo Zen and F5 is technically minor.
They have a bit different way of negative feedback.
Babo Zen has a toroidal trasformer while F5 an EI transformer.

Cheers,

:)

Attachments

• f5 vs babo zen.jpg
    f5 vs babo zen.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 792
Joined 2006
Listening to F5, and switching to Babo Zen, and repeating swapping . . . swapping . . . ? whatever . . . I felt difficult to find diffence in sound between them. Finally, I invited my wife to the event of comparing the sounds.

We used two CD albums:

1. Mozart, Devertimento, K.563
    Gidon Kramer, Violin
    Kim Kashkashian, Viola
    YoYo Ma, Cello
    Track 1, Allegro (12:40)
  2. Paul McCartney, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (2005)
    Track 3, Jenny Wren (3:47)
    [/list=1]
    Turned the volume up . . .

Wife said Babo Zen seemed to be relatively a little bit thicker (darker). :rolleyes:
    And, she said F5 seemed to be relatively brighter and softer in top frequencies. :rolleyes:
    And, said that both were anyhow comfortable listening. Nice sounds! :)

I was just nodding to her efforts in helping me . . . ;)

Cheers,

Attachments

• f5 vs babo zen 02.jpg
    f5 vs babo zen 02.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 743
Wife said Babo Zen seemed to be relatively a little bit thicker (darker).
And, she said F5 seemed to be relatively brighter and softer in top frequencies.
And, said that both were anyhow comfortable listening. Nice sounds!

I was just nodding to her efforts in helping me . . .

Babo-you are a lucky man. My wife still doesn't know the difference between an amp and a speaker.
I too found the F5 to have a noticeably different top end. Bright but soft might be a good way to describe it.

JJ

Joined 2006
I compared the sounds of F5 and Babo Zen once again with my first son. We selected Alanis Morissette MTV Unplugged and chose Track 4 That I Would Be Good.

He concluded that F5 had a little bit better brightness and details than Babo Zen . . . even if the difference was almost nothing . . .

I don't know where the difference is coming from.
From the different way of negative feedback? Or from the EI transformer? Or from the different voltage regulator? Or from the combination of these in a way or another . . . ?

Nontheless . . . I conclude that both are really great power amps!

Ah . . .
Voice of Alanis is placed in the center of the concert hall, and voices are delaying in the hall as if to show the hall size. . . Behind her acoustic guitars, violin and cello are playing on left and right sides. . . Bass and drums are somewhat away behind her . . . Full air of live music . . .

Cheers,

Attachments

• alanis morissette 2.jpg
    alanis morissette 2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 598
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.