Mains cables.Do they (and why)make any difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As if by magic,this thread seems to have been abandoned.As the one who started it and feel that I have not received a reply to my question if there is a possibility that some one might have a better hearing(we all know what this means)than others(I have used myself as a possibility because I don't like to speak for others),I will in my last(hopefully) post on this thread,ask all those who took part in the discussion,to make their own conclusions, in the two possible answers to this question:
A) No,there is no possibility that someone can have a better hearing than others,and
B) Yes,there is such a possibility
Any reply to such a question is a really dangerous one.I suppose it must be the reason why no answer has been given.

I believe the original question was about turntables and power cords.

To answer your most recent question:

YES... it is entirely possible that some people can hear better than others. If I am not not mistaken, some people cannot hear at all. I did some research... the condition is called "deafness"; or being "deaf". Apparently, there are several different causes. In addition, there are also people that are only partially deaf. They perceive sounds, especially high frequencies, to be quieter.

Alternatively, there is a condition called schizophrenia. In this case, people hear things when no actual corresponding sound is present... an auditory hallucination.

I would suggest that you enilst the help of a friend. Conduct a blind test using a power cord of normal quality ($5) against a cord of alleged high quality ($100). You might gain some insight as to the REAL effect of power cords. You might also determine whether or not deafness or schizophrenia are at play.

:)

.... but can anyone give me a few reasons why turntables could benefit from different mains cables must be the reason why no answer has been given. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have just read the whole thread and have found the original question (quoted above).

The reason that a mains cable makes a difference to a turntable is because of the effect that it has on RF noise being generated or coming from the turntable and going into the mains close to the other equipment.

I tried years ago

Years ago I was burning same song to different CDs. There was huge differences between the. Several month ago it was laready in one of the DIY forums (somebody else was doing same thing...). In the same night I was tweaking that old marantz CD (63se I think). I made listening observations through headphones which are better for A/B comparison on inner detail, rhythm, vocals IMO. At the same breath (just as usualy happens to me) I removed the standard power cables soldered to the now tweaked board. In that time I was also experimetnig with some silver stranded cables from one of the well known english companies. I also had on my hand several cables from the local store. Just typical solid core and stranded wires. I finnished with the CD "contest" and moved on to the "cable listening". I never heard before that you can change the power cord (I was merely in hi-fi age then) OR THAT THIS HAS AN IMPACT TO THE SOUND. But it had. For me back then, it was the same effect as changing the interconnects or speaker cables. The silver (quite thick, stranded) cable dominated most of the bass region. In comparison all copper cables sounded thin. Its bass was deeper and it was also a bit higher pronounced than with other. It was like QTS of the speaker would be altered generating a small bump in bass region. Anyway the vocal sufferd a bit. They were a bit flattened, now I know you would call it natural sounding (best comparison would be marantz 63 treble against NAD CD 501 or 512). Finally I settled for minus with solid core cable (audioquest F14) and silver stranded on plus side of the power cord. I still use them.
John Risch (I just found that today) uses the same technique of mixing with his interconnect cables.

I think that every cord in audio chain acts as a filter. as all other things do also. Otherwise, there would not be so many good sounding equipment around with so similar typologies.

Good luck.

what is a turntable power? let's say 1/10th horsepower....this translates to 74watts and at 220 volts line needs ~330mA...

a gage 20 cord is more than enough to carry this current, why use a gage #12?, this is an utter waste of material which could have been used somewhere else ....:smash:

Why being theoretical? I think DIY is more experimenting and finding your own truth (your brains your ears, your eyes - your biggest filters of all), dropping the popular dogmas and theories that make a general rule but one that is not a perfect match for individual. And I think sound we are searching for is one suited to us not all.

!!
T

Is this refering to my post? Because I agree with you Panicos :).
Sense, brains anything is a filter. We cannot reach true objectivism no matter how hard we try. Its a zenon arrow approach - and anyway, it is stupid to want to know everything because there is just a hint of total controlismus and hitlerismus in it... :)

Panicos K said:
Can your brain lie and persuade" you" that all is perfect if you put your hand on fire?No senses,no brain:clown:

conversely, can your brain lie to you and tell you that you are hearing things?

there are things that we learn and need not experience, fire for example, we know that it is hot and burns anything put in it, i need not put my hand in it to prove for myself that it is true...

like arsenic, i need not repeat what Plato did hundreds of years ago to learn that drinking arsenic kills....

:D :bawling:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.