Mains cables.Do they (and why)make any difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ferrites

They do work extremely well in both the primary feed of the power transformer and as part of common-mode filtering for heater supplies in tube equipment. In the latter application, they make a noticeable difference in the coupling of diode switching noise from the HV supply in transformers that have both HV and heater windings. In the former application, they are essential these days because of the line hash from the ubiquitous CFLs (I don't have any dimmers on my circuit) and from other appliances sharing a line with the audio system.

Geek said:

[cut]

Take a look also at the construction of some of these "audiophile" cords too - you'll find some couldn't pass a safety inspection if your life depended on it... literally ;)

Cheers!

...You must be referring to the ones that look like two lengths of magnet wire loosley enclosed in a plastic sandwich bag. Somewhere there is someone who will buy anything.

Panicos K said:
All the mains cables I have tried were new and of large awg,14,12,11 and 10awg,stranded and solid cores. [cut]
Just for the record,the one I prefered was a 12awg solid core.

Which happens to be a slight larger version of what your house is already internally wired with? Maybe you could insert an extension cord in series with your preferred cable and observe the effect. Then reduce the length of your preferred cable by half and observe the effect. Halve the preferred cable again to one quarter its original length. Let us know what you hear.

Have you tried bypassing the IEC recepticle and plug to see what that has? These are all easy and cheap experiments. An automotive battery supplying an oscillator and a power amp to run the motor would not be easy or cheap!
...j

j beede said:

Which happens to be a slight larger version of what your house is already internally wired with? Maybe you could insert an extension cord in series with your preferred cable and observe the effect. Then reduce the length of your preferred cable by half and observe the effect. Halve the preferred cable again to one quarter its original length. Let us know what you hear.

Have you tried bypassing the IEC recepticle and plug to see what that has? These are all easy and cheap experiments. An automotive battery supplying an oscillator and a power amp to run the motor would not be easy or cheap!
...j

No.I have a dedicated power line for my system.A 4.5m 10awg cable goes from the counter board(63A)to a MCB(20A) in my room.From there,a 1.5m of similar construction but 12awg cable feeds a 4-way distribution block,from which my equipment get their power with the same 12awg cable type.No need to parallel anything to any cable.All my equipment get a as clean as possible mains and that made a lot of improvement,not just difference.
For convenience reasons I wouldn't like to remove any IEC or mains plugs,nor make the cables shorter.Having bypassed the whole house wiring and having a dedicated line with just 6m of high quality cables,I don't really need to bypass any connectors:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.