Mains cables.Do they (and why)make any difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,I was playing with some mains cables lately and I was surprised to see that my turntable which uses an outboard psu sounded much different depending on the mains cable I was trying on it.I could understand more easily why mains cables effect the performance of electronics but can anyone give me a few reasons why turntables could benefit from different mains cables?:confused:

All the mains cables I have tried were new and of large awg,14,12,11 and 10awg,stranded and solid cores.We have discussed in the past if cables make a difference or not,so this is not the issue.I respect someone's opinion that I(we)might be imagining things,but I also believe anyone who says he cannot hear any differences.As for those who say that there are no differences because you cannot measure any,I just don't want to say anything.It doesn't mean that my house is not on fire just because I cannot smell the smoke:)In fact the microphone DID measure differences in bass extension and overall frequency linearity.I have chosen one of them after a score of 10/10 under a blind test,conducted by a friend of mine.The bass performance of the one I have chosen was so easy for me to tell and it was very much to my liking with my speakers(and rest of the system of course).
If anyone who believes that power cables do make a difference has an explanation,especially for the effect on turntables,then I would be glad to hear it please.
Just for the record,the one I prefered was a 12awg solid core.

Hi Panicos

IME mains cable makes a very perceptible difference on a tt with a syncronous or induction motor. Won't be surprised if the difference is even bigger with dc motors but i have no first hand experience. There may be a number of reasons, the most obvious being the filtration of harmonics by some cables. It's probably not so simple. Does anyone really have an answer for any of these effects?

Hi analog,thanks for your comments.I have not any valid answers on these effects,that is also the reason why I would like to hear opinions like yours.As you said,filtration of harmonics,good shielding and a couple of other factors perhaps,are beneficial.For me this was the first time to try mains cables on turntables and was really a surprise to hear such an obvious improvement-not just difference.And yes my Thorens turntable uses a syncronous motor.
Thanks for the link Dave.

There`s no magazines, no "experts" that really know the facts here. Well, except for me:cool:

Years ago I discovered the big benefit of using solid core cables. Not only for power, that was the last thing I discovered. On ultimate high-end equipment the gain is remarkable.

For power as well as speakercables I use this Swedish EKKJ cable that comes in real thick versions, and for bass-drivers driven by transistor-amps only the fattest are optimal.
EKKJ 2,5mm x3 gives a superb shielded solid core powercable:

https://www1.elfa.se/elfa~ex_en/b2b/start.do

Well, I've head a $0.50 cable and a $1K one and several in between.

The difference from a computer cable to ~$100 cord was OK.

The difference between a $100 cable and the $1K one wasn't enough to justify it, IMO.

Take a look also at the construction of some of these "audiophile" cords too - you'll find some couldn't pass a safety inspection if your life depended on it... literally ;)

Cheers!

Hi,I agree with you on solid core cables.I have recently installed a separate power line for my audio system,directly from the supply board to the listening room(just 5.5 meters)and the cable I used was a heavily shielded 12awg PCOCC-A solid core one.This was the best thing I've ever done for my system.
Very interesting link,and nice prices.Thanks.

Hi Geek,no doubt a $1000 cable cannot easily justify its price.One problem however with thick power cables,especially for us here where we are using UK mains plugs,is to find a good quality and safe plug to use with such cables.The only one that will handle the stress and tension of a 10awg or 12awg solid core cable is one from Furutech(I can't think of any other)and that is quite expensive.Good IEC connectors are easy to find and at logical prices too.Safety must be of course of prime importance to all of us,for both cables and connectors.

Mains cables.Mains Cables - do they (and why) make any difference?

Yes, in general mains cables do make an audible difference to the sound. The major changes are in the bottom end, sound stage and instrument separation. These changes are associated with RFI noise. What is happening is that the cable is making the RFI noise change before it passes through the power supply.

I assume you are new to audio forums in general then. They can be an entertaining place to be, but keep your helmet handy ;)

Threads like this eventually get plugged with audiophool BS. Therefore to those who have been around for a while usually interject (or expect) some humour by the third post or so.

It took "Mr. Smiley Face" 15 posts to appear (notice the jibberish behind him - typical of highfalootin' audio magazines).

Hence, my comment :D

Cheers!

this is what i think

mains cable, that can not carry enough current can effect the operation of attached device

any normal mains cable that can carry enough current
is as good as any other mains cable that can do the same

i would never spend my money on special mains cables for audio
simply because
the cables does not know the difference
if the provided current will be used for audio or something else

that is, to the cable the passing current will always look the same

We're sooo short on the theoreticals here.

Miles of who-knows-what into a house full of dimmers and other noise, then welding cables for a meter or two and then a mile of skinny wire in the form of a transformer. Can anyone give a non-ridiculous guess why mains cables could cause the kind of sonic effects that are being described here?

I'm open minded, but I don't hear much of an argument here.

--Buckapound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.