Low cost ES9018 Dac - Builders Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The problem seems to be the design around IC1 and S1. As far as I can see S1 can connect the output enable pin of IC1 to the supply. The problem is that the outputs of IC1 (ISO7230M) will be active when the enable pin is high OR is floating! The enable pin must be connected to ground to disable the outputs of IC1. So try to switch off S1 (or remove it) and connect pin 10 of IC1 to ground.
:cheers: it works directly with i2s also. another "tweak" for the ones using IC1

Not sure how useful these are but got the below pics from syllable while interacting over email... just sharing for others to have visbility..

K2MBOT_zps6e542cca.jpg Photo by rbalu72 | Photobucket
top2_zpsb11b1eab.jpg Photo by rbalu72 | Photobucket
K2MTOP2_zpsdc3a3c3a.jpg Photo by rbalu72 | Photobucket

PS : I am still gathering parts and yet to start assembling this dac.

According to the discription on the zpsdc3a3c3a.jpg the I2s LR/DS1 and DA/DS2 connections need to be swaped (board silk screen error?).

TOP2_Zpsb11b1eab.jpg

Remove Lock and AM LED? Anything wrong there?

The S2 Red Boxed put to On state, why?

Can anyone explain?

So, we can cut the S1 connection to pin 16 and hot wire it to pin 9 for S1 to work properly?
Also I got a sample ISO7640 from a friend and looks like it can replace the ISO7230.

atupi tested the galvanic isolation and found out that the dac is working with S1 position on ON or OFF (with or without second 3.3V on IC1). Your mod should work (atupi proposed the same mod) but the lower pad should be grounded.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

According to the discription on the zpsdc3a3c3a.jpg the I2s LR/DS1 and DA/DS2 connections need to be swaped (board silk screen error?).

it seems so, but you can swap them without fear, the worst thing, you will not get lock.

Remove Lock and AM LED? Anything wrong there?
all 4 working dacs (atupi's included) have the leds mounted and they are working with i2s and spdif ttl. Maybe it matters if you will use spdif 2 and 3 with arduino controler. the led pins are reconfigured to be used as spdif input, i don't have the chip datasheet but this is my understanding based on arduino's code (hifiduinos as syllabe deleted all the comments ....).

The S2 Red Boxed put to On state, why?
in order to be able to use spidif 2 and 3

So, we can cut the S1 connection to pin 16 and hot wire it to pin 9 for S1 to work properly?

Also I got a sample ISO7640 from a friend and looks like it can replace the ISO7230.

Your schematic is very good. When you want to use the onboard spdif input pin 16 should be connected to pin 9 and if you want to use isolated I2S input pin 16 can be left floating (at least it worked for me).

Not sure how useful these are but got the below pics from syllable while interacting over email... just sharing for others to have visbility..

K2MBOT_zps6e542cca.jpg Photo by rbalu72 | Photobucket
top2_zpsb11b1eab.jpg Photo by rbalu72 | Photobucket
K2MTOP2_zpsdc3a3c3a.jpg Photo by rbalu72 | Photobucket

PS : I am still gathering parts and yet to start assembling this dac.

Syllable sent also to me these pictures but they should be used in combination with Arduino microcontroller otherwise forget about these changes.
Cmiu007 details are correct. We have built together 4 dacs and all of them are working very well. Next step is Arduino wich is on their way from China.

Last edited:
Working on my own DAC (started last year):
- LiFePO4 powered
- Amanero USB to I2S module
- Raspberry I2S interface (needs add-on card for differential driving)
- SPFIF copper and fiber interfaces
- AES/EBU interface
- isolated SPI communication interface for micro/TFT

The shunt regulators for 1.2V and 3.3V and first routing DAC board (to change).

What do you think about the new AKM AK4495SEQ?

Attachments

• 1V2_SHUTN_REG_SCH.jpg
    1V2_SHUTN_REG_SCH.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 376
  • 1V2_SHUNT_REG.jpg
    1V2_SHUNT_REG.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 3V3_SHUNT_REG_SCH.jpg
    3V3_SHUNT_REG_SCH.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 364
  • 3V3_SHUNT_REG.jpg
    3V3_SHUNT_REG.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 354
  • ES9018_DAC_V1.jpg
    ES9018_DAC_V1.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 359
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.