Low cost ES9018 Dac - Builders Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
R1,2,3 = 100k
R4,5,6=75r

Me and Cmiu007 built 4 kits of this DAC and the Spdif input never worked. As Cmiu007 already said feed the DAC with SPDIF TTL level thru IC1 isolator and it should work.

Anyway the Spdif input is not a good implementation as the digital source should see a 75ohmm termination and is not like this.

Last edited:
Skylab
and others... I have never seen that spdif level shifter is made in such resistor values. Digital signal must have 75ohm impedance.
So try to switch resistors... 75 goes to ground... so R1 is 75ohm
R4 is ....ocassionally 100R but i dont know what kind of ic it is. With scope you must get about 5v ttl level on output. If it is too low try smaller R4 resistor value.

Skylab
and others... I have never seen that spdif level shifter is made in such resistor values. Digital signal must have 75ohm impedance.
R4 is ....ocassionally 100R but i dont know what kind of ic it is. With scope you must get about 5v ttl level on output. If it is too low try smaller R4 resistor value.

OK, wilk try and report back.

Thanks

Hi,
See the two yellow high lighted box on ground and BK which should map to the GND and BCK output pin of the isolator, can I just hotwired them to the spdif input directly (bypassing the isolator) and with S2 set to OFF ?

more like this - s2 off / s1 on
the picture is for i2s/dsd setup

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Skylab

no use as the data pins that comes from ic6 have 3v, i presume that because of poor soldering of the chip, the data entry part is faulty - this may be the explanation why some dacs works for 5 minutes and afterwards distorsion apears or in my case one chip burned and the other two works only thru isolator. direct data feeding does not work.

Skylab

The IC is 74HC1GU04

no use as the data pins that comes from ic6 have 3v, i presume that because of poor soldering of the chip, the data entry part is faulty - this may be the explanation why some dacs works for 5 minutes and afterwards distorsion apears or in my case one chip burned and the other two works only thru isolator. direct data feeding does not work.

One thing I don't quite get, the trace coming from the isolator and the direct spdif (IC2) both goes to the same pin under R10, technically if the pin soldering is faulty then both should failed.

When I use the first direct spdif input, I got a solid lock but distorted sound.

Skylab
Switch-change R1 to 75ohm, R4 to 100R or 1K ..R7 to 10K or 100K...i think all the resistors are mixed in your configuration.

Attachments

• ttl.png
    ttl.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 258
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.