Low cost ES9018 Dac - Builders Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... output stage...

the complete power supply routing is modified (go for 4 layers for better analog and digital separation).

Thinking about 3 Vision LifePO4 batteries (need only standard acid charger and integrates BMS).

Attachments

• ES9018_DAC_V2.jpg
    ES9018_DAC_V2.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 446
I just started populating my kit and done with power supply side...

Its measuring -12.87 and +12.16 measured at -V-0+V (yet to short j4 and j5),am using 12-0-12, 1A transfo. I have TPS regs presoldered on the pcb.

Is this normal? am not sure why -ve and +ve voltages are varrying... Do i need to check anything or continue building??

Hi Guys,
I want to try transformer IV for the 9018M2k using a pair of line input transformer 600:600 on this board, where can I tap into the +/- output and bypassing the opamp?

Thanks

If you hang a transformer on the output of the 9018k2m, it won't be doing I/V, it'll be running pure voltage mode. Your best bet if you want to use a transformer is to do I/V via good opamps (I'm using ADA4898) and use these to feed the transformers.

For your other question, the k2m variant contains 2 DACs, rather than 8 as with the 9018, so I'd estimate output Z as 4 x 195R.

Hope this helps.

I have populated the board and used REG1117 and ADP151 for regs.

The voltages measured are 5v and 3.3v at respective places, i have tested each of them individually before soldering ferrite chips...

I am not getting any audio as output. LM4562s are becoming little warm when i tried to use bluray output thru spdif1. ( except IC5 all other lm4562 are thru hole with socket)

The switch S2, 1 is in on and 2,3,4,5 are off position hope this is correct.

I have BDP-450 bluray player which has digital coaxial out, am connecting that output to spdif input1. Does this work this way? I have no other option at the moment like I2S/DSD etc.,

How others got the spdif1 working? any suggestions to debug?

If you hang a transformer on the output of the 9018k2m, it won't be doing I/V, it'll be running pure voltage mode. Your best bet if you want to use a transformer is to do I/V via good opamps (I'm using ADA4898) and use these to feed the transformers.

For your other question, the k2m variant contains 2 DACs, rather than 8 as with the 9018, so I'd estimate output Z as 4 x 195R.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help. I also found some related discussion on 9018 BII with transformer output.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/164294-buffalo-ii-transformers-19.html#post2698382

Looks like may also work on the 9018M2k too.

Hi,
I finally got time and installed a pair of UTC A20 line output transformer to the Pin 9,10,13,14 for -R+R-L+L- replacing all three opamp, the result is well worth it, the highs are smooth, mid has enough body, and the sound stage is big. I didn't change anything on the SPDIF input, I have no problem locking with signal coming from a Philip DVD player and the Shigalone MKII and of course the Shigalone MKII is much better.

I am quite satisfy or happy with the current configuration, the sound is very nice and I had spet 5 hours listening today right after hocking up the UTC, but I try using the Tango 600:600 input transformer, more on I2S option and the ardino control part.

The sound I feel is getting is very good so far, once it is staablized then I will start on my second one. Listeded to 4 CDs for 5 hours today.

since I haven't fix the fryed 4700, I am using the external PS from DIYINHK to provide 15+ and -15V and bypassing the onboard one. will fix the onboard one later.

Last edited:
Hi,
I finally got time and installed a pair of UTC A20 line output transformer to the Pin 9,10,13,14 for -R+R-L+L- replacing all three opamp, the result is well worth it, the highs are smooth, mid has enough body, and the sound stage is big. I didn't change anything on the SPDIF input, I have no problem locking with signal coming from a Philip DVD player and the Shigalone MKII and of course the Shigalone MKII is much better.

I am quite satisfy or happy with the current configuration, the sound is very nice and I had spet 5 hours listening today right after hocking up the UTC, but I try using the Tango 600:600 input transformer, more on I2S option and the ardino control part.

Great!!

Nice syklab :).

Everything syllable should have pointed out or rather corrected in the first place solved by now? I'll give it a go most due to curiosity and it will tick of another item from the todo list.
Now will this show up amongst the devices in windows capable of everything an es9018 is capable of?

Regards

This is my almost finished DAC discussed in this thread. I added some more preregulators and i'm trying to find a good grounding scheme for everything inside the case.
The most annoying problem is when i'm electrostatically charged and discharging on dac case my microcontroller goes crazy and display shows
hieroglyphes.
I will go in details with my final configuration if there are still interested people in this subject.

Attachments

• My ESS DAC.jpg
    My ESS DAC.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 311
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.