Linux servers and Soekris DAM1021

Are you guys using Raspberry Pi ?

I got my Voyage running on a Raspberry Pi 2.
I got the Webgui login page with a Ipad connected to the same network via wifi.
But, I cannot login with "root" and "voyage".

Did I miss something in setting up my Voyage?

Hi Arthur, "root" and "voyage" is correct, if you managed to get Voyage "up and running" correctly you must have used the root account several times by now, did it work then?

So just to be clear you were able to SSH and FTP to the RPi, in order to configure the Voyage image?

Hi Arthur, "root" and "voyage" is correct, if you managed to get Voyage "up and running" correctly you must have used the root account several times by now, did it work then?

So just to be clear you were able to SSH and FTP to the RPi, in order to configure the Voyage image?

I cannot connect to the Pi with my win xp computer.
Winscp simply cannot connect to it.
But i can see the webgui with both the win cp pc and ipad. But cannot login.

I cannot connect to the Pi with my win xp computer.
Winscp simply cannot connect to it.
But i can see the webgui with both the win cp pc and ipad. But cannot login.

If you can see the webgui via its IP address then you're on the same network as the Pi and its the correct IP address of the Pi. Try using an SSH client like Server Auditor on the iPad - that way you'll find out if it's a password issue or a corrupt SD card/program.

Derekr, thank you for the suggestion.

There was some progress in this weekend.

I managed to connect to the Raspberry Pi 2 server with both PC and Ipad.
And mounted the Synology music folder to /mnt/public and created link to /var/lib/mpd/music/public. The webgui showed that I had updated the database.

Yet, the MPad does not show any music files.
Still struggling with it...
Hope to play music with it soon.

Derekr, thank you for the suggestion.

There was some progress in this weekend.

I managed to connect to the Raspberry Pi 2 server with both PC and Ipad.
And mounted the Synology music folder to /mnt/public and created link to /var/lib/mpd/music/public. The webgui showed that I had updated the database.

Yet, the MPad does not show any music files.
Still struggling with it...
Hope to play music with it soon.

I guess you invoked Refresh Local Cache after the update? (Sorry, just dotting i's!)

SSH into Voyage with Server Auditor from the iPad and type 'mount' and see if your Synology is mounted. Also type aplay -l (lowercase L) and make sure you see a reference to PCM1794a. PM me if you're stuck and I'll try to help - can't be without music for a whole weekend....:)

Think the limitations you mention were more to do with the way the Pi implements it's clocking rather than them imposing a limitation on its ability to handle every sample rate - see Hifiduino's write-up on the Pi for an explanation.

The Soekris' reclocking takes care of that 'flaw' in the Pi.

And to answer your question directly, I have played every sample rate from 44.1 to 192kHz with the Voyage/Pi/Soekris using i2s directly from the Pi's GPIO.

Punky, originator of Voyage MPD, states he has used a Pi 2B to send DoP DSD64 to a suitable DAC with no issues.

Hi Derekr

Can I use Ubuntu running as virtual machine to prepare the SD image?
many thanks, Erik

Hardware (cabling) hookup - the i2s hookup between the Pi and Soekris is straightforward. Pins 12, 35, 39 and 40 on the Pi correspond to BCK, LRCK, GND and Data on the Soekris.

Dear derekr,
complementing my question posed yesterday: I read elsewhere that the I2S input of the DAM1021 will also need 3,3V, but you don't mention that. Any hint? Would you be willing to post a picture of the connections between all needed hardware to get the PI and DAM1021 playing?

Many thanks and best regards!
Erik

Hi Derekr

Can I use Ubuntu running as virtual machine to prepare the SD image?
many thanks, Erik

Yes, any Linux machine can prepare the image.

I'm not a fan of using RPI power for powering anything else. Best to power the Soekris' ISO 3.3V with a separate power supply - you may not be doing justice to the DAM powering its i2s with the Pi's power..:)

Hifiduino and Dimdim's sites are great resources if you're in any doubt about hookup.

Hi dekekr
thanks for your reply. I think you may indeed be right in that the PIs 3,3v is not the best voltage source for the DAM, so I will surely try a different, linear, PS. It is just that I want it to work as simple as possible first, and than gradually change it, making it more complex, and hopefully, better :)
Best regards,
Erik

many thanks for the tip!
In the past I was usually making PS on veroboard, but in the meantime with a FT job and a little kid at home, these kits are becoming way more interesting :)
thanks again,
Erik

There are a lot of options for cheap, one-off prototyping. I use the free version of Diptrace to do schematics and pcb designs. Then there are Chinese board websites like Elecrow or Dirty PCBs that offer 10 5cmx5cm boards for around $14 or $15 - including shipping. Along with using perspex cut by local trophy engravers (they can laser cut Perspex VERY accurately) and design software (free) like Front Panel Design to make the pdf's required by the trophy company it's not expensive to do an end-to-end project.

I was having a problem getting RPi B+ I2S outputs to work using Volumio 1.55 software. There was no signal present on the GPIO pins no matter what drivers I used.

The problem was solved by updating RPi firmware. The procedure below is based on these documents:
https://volumio.org/volumio-raspberry-pi-b-plus/
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update

Firmware update procedure:

1) Make sure the RPi is connected to a network with internet access

2) Log on to RPi using SSH over the network, or use directly connected keyboard and monitor.

3) Check the date on your RPi using the 'date' command. It should be at least reasonably close to the current day. If it is too far behind or ahead, the Github SSL certificates may be rejected during the update step.
If necessary, use the date command to set the correct date and time, or set up ntp as described here: https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update#troubleshooting

4) Run these commands to update the firmware:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install binutils
sudo rpi-update

The rpi-update comand can take awhile to finish and may appear to hang for several minutes. Just let it finish. In my case rpi-update took about 15 minutes to complete.

5) Reboot the RPi.

6) In Volumio web GUI set the I2S output type to generic.

Problem solved!

I suspect updating the RPi firmware will help with any software distribution if s similar problem is encountered. They all use basically the same driver modules.

Yes, some distros don't use the latest kernels for various reasons and a firmware update will usually take care of some issues (at the cost of 'bloating' the distro) but one of the reasons I like Voyage is you can download a 'daily build' which uses the newest kernels and any audio-related add-ons/improvements. This 'beta' build usually has the greatest potential for sound improvement.

I was having a problem getting RPi B+ I2S outputs to work using Volumio 1.55 software. There was no signal present on the GPIO pins no matter what drivers I used.

The problem was solved by updating RPi firmware. The procedure below is based on these documents:
https://volumio.org/volumio-raspberry-pi-b-plus/
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update

Firmware update procedure:

1) Make sure the RPi is connected to a network with internet access

2) Log on to RPi using SSH over the network, or use directly connected keyboard and monitor.

3) Check the date on your RPi using the 'date' command. It should be at least reasonably close to the current day. If it is too far behind or ahead, the Github SSL certificates may be rejected during the update step.
If necessary, use the date command to set the correct date and time, or set up ntp as described here: https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update#troubleshooting

4) Run these commands to update the firmware:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install binutils
sudo rpi-update

The rpi-update comand can take awhile to finish and may appear to hang for several minutes. Just let it finish. In my case rpi-update took about 15 minutes to complete.

5) Reboot the RPi.

6) In Volumio web GUI set the I2S output type to generic.

Problem solved!

worked for me - many thanks!
Erik