Linux servers and Soekris DAM1021

DimDim's been on a roll lately - his STM32 and Orange Pi articles prompted me to try them both. Sadly, the uC seems to be MIA somewhere between the Far East and The Far Side of the World. But I did get the OPi1 and Lite.

Followed Dimitris' well-written how-to and it worked fine. Added an autostart function in /root to get MPD to come up on boot-up and I used a simpler mount instruction for my NAS share. Also did not install Rompr but that's because I'm perfectly happy with MPod/MPad as clients.

For anyone wanting to dip their toes into the Linux-based server world DimDim's guide and the Orange Pi are about as simple and affordable as it gets.

The surprising thing is how good it is for the $$ and time expended. You get the current version of MPD with the latest kernel and tweaks and the OPis are almost ridiculously cheap.

The i2s outputs on both OPis plug directly into the Soekris DAMs - both the 1021 and 1121 - and the DAM's reclocking of the signal should help sooth those who grumble about clock issues on these SBCs - although I haven't yet checked to see what the clock scheme is on the OPis.

Could be viewed as overkill - mating a $16 board to the DAMs - but it's an interesting side project if you have a DAM and you can always use any of the myriad cheaper i2s-in DACs out there - think I recall Dimitris using an $8 ESS.

On the other hand, a packaged OPi running MPD into a DAM 1021 could be hyped as:

- Compact R2R ladder DAC with built-in Digital Volume Control
- Built in music server
- USB HDD, streaming or NAS music sources
- Remote (or on-board) music client capable
- Additional SPDIF input (with a little effort)
- Input auto-select
- Remote IR volume, input and filter switching (with a little effort)
- 24-bit hi-res music capable
-Internet radio ready
- etc, etc (what have I forgotten??)

Pretty respectable for an outlay under U$250 if you went with the .05 DAM1021, the OPi One, a decent toroid and linear power supply for the Pi and DAM. Real DIY value when you see what folks like Lessloss and Lampizator are selling the DAMs for!!!

Thanks, DimDim.

Hi all.
For those of you using for instance RPI with the dam1021. What overlay is the best to use?
I am using picoreplayer. For the time being using mamboberry hifi dac+ as overlay. Everything is working fine including 352/384 setting.
Just want to know if there are other "overlays" that fits better.