Linux servers and Soekris DAM1021

I'm trying to get it work.
I've connected DAM master clk out to BBB master clk in, and clksel respectfully.
So fat I've got 48/96k locking (constant light on on DAM). But the music is some how distorted.
And 44.1k is not locking at all.
I had to play around a little to tell.

Thanks for answer... Maybe in the next firmware realease will be fully working...

No luck.

The server seems to work fine.

When I issued aplay -l through putty.
I got the message " no soundcards found...".

I followed the instruction from here (Configure to work with Soekris DAM1021 DAC) :
Raspberry Pi B+ & 2B | Voyage MuBox

I found the Dam1021 led brinking, suggesting that it cannot lock the source.

Did I make wrong connection?

Attachments

• R-2R-dac.jpg
    R-2R-dac.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 527
  • RPi2.jpg
    RPi2.jpg
    898 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Think I got archphile to work.
Chooses i2select ang mamboberry dac.
Reboot
This made 24bit material work. Not 16bit

Then

Uncomment device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-dac in /boot/config.txt
Added device_tree=

Like this.
# Uncomment one of these lines to enable an audio interface
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-dac
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-dacplus
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-digi
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-amp
#device_tree_overlay=iqaudio-dac
#device_tree_overlay=iqaudio-dacplus
device_tree=

Then edited:
/etc/modules-load.d/raspberrypi.conf

to:
snd_soc_pcm1794a
snd_soc_rpi_dac

Reboot and voila 16bit worked.
Just the same recipie as voyage

However the problem described earlier remain.
Now the dam1021 "relocks" on every track and pops come for each song.

Testing picoreplayer and the "pops" issue isn't there.
Just beautiful music. But I really like the other distros more.
Installed logitech media server on my netgear NAS (which holds the music)

Anyone know about a good free squeezlite app for IOS?

Last edited:
The easiest way to get rid of pops during track change (unless frequency is altered) is to use gapless playback. I've attached a simple player that do the job.

Another approach is to use dmix plugin as alsa sink for your favourite music player and superimpose a music stream with artificial one generated by sox also using that alsa sink, e.g.:

$ export AUDIODEV=dmixer; play -n synth sine 0

so that i2s lines are fed all the time. The downside of this method is that only one frequency can be used by a music player. And to make matters worse an alsa driver must handle mmap access, which has just been re-introduced recently to rpi i2s driver [1], so probably most audio-centric distros have yet to include this feature. On a plus side this technique can be used with usb-i2s modules too.

Anyway I wouldn't consider the latter an elegant solution. So get in touch with a dev team of your music player and raise the issue, if the gapless playback isn't supported yet.

[1] https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commit/7ee829fd77a30127db5d0b3c7d79b8718166e568

Attachments

• gapless.py.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Archphile 0.99.4b Beta is out. My preferred distro for the rpi.
Archphile - Yet Another Archlinux Based Audiophile Distribution for Raspberry Pi, Udoo, Cubox-i and Odroid C1+

To get the dam1021 to work the same procedure is done
Think I got archphile to work.
Chooses i2select ang mamboberry dac.
Reboot
This made 24bit material work. Not 16bit

Then

Uncomment device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-dac in /boot/config.txt
Added device_tree=

Like this.
Quote:
# Uncomment one of these lines to enable an audio interface
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-dac
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-dacplus
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-digi
#device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-amp
#device_tree_overlay=iqaudio-dac
#device_tree_overlay=iqaudio-dacplus
device_tree=

Then edited:
/etc/modules-load.d/raspberrypi.conf

to:
Quote:
snd_soc_pcm1794a
snd_soc_rpi_dac

However I am not able to get any dsd sound(dop) from it. With picore it worked with a couple of settings changed. With archphile I only get hiss from the speakers.
Any suggestions?

Is it possible to make the dam work with other settings than quoted above? Are there any other tricks to get the dam1021 work with an arch distro?

And of course everything is limited to 24 bits - 192khz. Is it possible one way or the other to play 384khz material without rpi downsampling it?

Last edited:
I use a mini ITX board intel 2800 with a 30 Gb mSata drive and a NFS connection to my Music server. On the 30 Gb is Vortexbox OS installed, and the USB port used for the Amanero to the Soekris.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I had also used the Server with LMS Squeezebox server software and let the him do the work for the DSD 2 PCM and also with no problem to a ESS9016 SABRE, that was playing native DSD128/64.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have tried in the begin Musicplayer deamon and MPAD player app on the Android phone or tablet.

Vortexbox is more stable, Fedora 23 and specific for playing Audio and no compromises.

Hi,

I found this python tool for controlling dam:
https://github.com/fortaa/dam1021
I know nothing about python and GPIO, may I know, when using this script:
1. How can the Pi connects to dam? thru two GPIO pins + gnd?
2. Can I assign some GPIO to light an LED so that I can use several LEDs to simulate the status of dam? Such as the filter selected, input selected, according to the command that I've sent to dam thru the python script?

Many thanks.

Hi,

I found this python tool for controlling dam:
https://github.com/fortaa/dam1021
I know nothing about python and GPIO, may I know, when using this script:
1. How can the Pi connects to dam? thru two GPIO pins + gnd?

use uart pins [1]. then configure serial line [2]. finally you can use the library. you may also use i2s lines for content delivery. but that's totally irrelevant to the dam1021 serial interface.

[1] https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/raspberry-pi-b-digital-audio/
[2] RPi Serial Connection - eLinux.org

2. Can I assign some GPIO to light an LED so that I can use several LEDs to simulate the status of dam? Such as the filter selected, input selected, according to the command that I've sent to dam thru the python script?

yes, you can. but you are on your own. merge dam1021 library api with a gpio library of your choice to achieve desired outcome. you may drive leds directly. just don't forget about current limiting resistors. once you get familiar with python and libraries, it shouldn't take more than a one evening to get the job done.

Looks like Soekris is locking signal but I can only hear a noise and very faint music being played in the background when volume is set at min 50% - this is only related to DSD files. Is there any special setup to get DSD out of squeezelite player working together with Soekris using I2S output ?
I was trying to convert the DSD file to flac in foobar with dsd plugin - so in effect the flac is just a container for 1bit DoP files but I can only hear a noise from speakers.
Not sure if Raspberry will throw out the signal which is compatible with Soekris...