Linux servers and Soekris DAM1021

file.php
Try this?

I have used the I²S from the RPI to a ESS 9016, and could play everything, including container DoP , because LMS could not play DSD at that time.
I made it possible, on that way it was to play those files, and the ESS played that Native!!.
Also in combination with the Soekris, and I²S from the RPI.

I use now the Firmware 1.05 and filter MoreDam PartyPack 0.99, so that the DoP function is not working, and now done by VortexBox, and it is also possible that I have some files that are a lot lower in volume.

I did play with the RPI and I²S, but now using the Amanero, because it is a lot faster in the combination with the mITX board I use with the server for indexing my ripped CD's on the NAS with a NFS connection.

As far I understand I should be using DSDplayer plugin for LMS, then I should prevent player (squeezelite) to attempt playing DSD files in native mode as it should use DoP. (for doing this I need to add -e dsd option for player setup) - and then in the settings of Player in LMS make the DSDplayer active and set to use DoP.
All this didn't give me needed results...
It's strange because I shouldn't be using any pluigins as version 7.9 of LMS comes with support for DSD and only thing I should do is to use -D in the player options as per your post (picture) - but it didn't work.
Maybe I have to use picore player then instead of Max2Play... :(

I think that there is no difference between the 2.
I use Max2play also for my Odroid U3, and have done this also with the RPI B, both worked good.

The big difference is that the Picore Player is using the memory for loading the software pre installed configuration and with a powerbreak there is no problem for the next time.
A lot of the other OS 's are damaged there SD card.

Last edited:
This is my setup.
It plays dsd over pcm (DoP) but the sound is quite low.
rpi2 - i2s direct to soekris dac.
Using latest firmware and filters (however have made my own linear og mixed mode filters for 44.1khz material. )

Attachments

• lms1.PNG
    lms1.PNG
    114.7 KB · Views: 296
  • lms2.PNG
    lms2.PNG
    75 KB · Views: 284
OK - I see the detail I didn't check before - the Enable DSD over PCM box is not ticked but the other settings are - possibly this is the problem - we'll see tonight.
Could you let me know how did you set up the DAC in /etc/modules ?

I bought small HP terminal and will try to check out Daphile as a Music server soon - we'll see how the DSD functionality works there.

I'd just thought I'd post my fix for playing RPI3 - I2S - DAM1021

After receiving my brand new 0.02% version and hooking it up to the isolated i2s using the RPI's 3.3v, GND , LRCLK, BCLK and DATA Volumio 1.55 or 2 would not work. All the while keeping the input selector to auto.
Loaded Runeaudio, enabled i2s (via ssh to edit the /boot/config.txt file) and selected hifiberry i2s DAC.
This is fine playing 24/44.1 files like MP3 and the streaming radio but would not play anything else blow 24 bit. It played 24/96 flac fine but would not play any 16 bit flac or wav's.
Eventually I found this:
I2s using hifiberry dac pro raspberry 3 : Raspberry Pi • RuneAudio Forum
where you edit the /srv/http/db/redis_acards_details (I edited the Hifiberry line not the hifiberry DAC+, just depends on which you enabled to begin with) and force it to upscale everything to 32 bit (I think).
All my flac now plays.

Thanks for sharing. RPI3, if updated/upgraded to latest spec kernel uses device tree overlays and disregards the old 'manual' workaround. New rules for this Linux release.

Easiest way to get it to work with DAM1021 via i2s is to comment out everything in /boot/config.txt and add dtoverlay=rpi-dac to bottom of file. While you're there you can reduce the gpu memory allocation to 16 if you're using the RPI3 strictly for audio. You may need to download the dtoverlay for rpi-dac from github and put it in the /boot/overlays folder - check if it's there on your distro.

That said, I am using Voyage MPD for RPI. Plays all sample rates and converts DSD to DoP (max 192, an RPI limitation) on the fly. Comment out dsd_usb "yes" in the audio output of /etc/mpd.conf to enable on-the-fly DoP conversion via i2s.

If you're using an USB-i2s converter (as against the direct RPI i2s out) don't comment the dsd_usb "yes" out. If you're using both an RPI and a USB-i2s board set up two audio outputs in /etc/mpd.conf; one with device. "hw:0,0" (and the dsd_usb line commented out) and the other as device. "hw:1,0". Leave the dsd_usb "yes" line uncommented in the latter....but you'd prob. know all this if you're already using two i2s inputs to the DAM so apologies for wasted words.

Last edited:
A bit of crossposting but I think this is a better forum

I have another "issue". Hopefully I am able to describe it..
My dam1021 is connected to a rpi. i2s direct and rs232 so I can control the dam via the rpi. I am using a serial program called minicom in the rpi distro.

The dam output to /var/ttyAMA0 - for instance when volume is changed via my 10k pot on the dam its volume is
Like this
Quote:
tc@piCorePlayer:/$ cat /dev/ttyAMA0
V-22
V-22
V-23
V-24
V-25
V-25
and so on . Just like when entering the umanager via serial.

I want to be able to put this information to a small lcd screen connected to a rpi (but that is another question)

However first time after powercycle I do this "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" and turing the volume, it (the rpi console) goes "crazy" - flickering in the CLI and extreme distortion in the sound.
To fix it again I have to connect to dam umanager and turn volume up and down.
I have to connect via serial program to the dam1021 first and the disconnect and the "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" puts out in correct manner and no problem.

Anyone else experienced this? And is it any explanation for this behaviour?

My dam1021 is connected to a rpi. i2s direct and rs232 so I can control the dam via the rpi. I am using a serial program called minicom in the rpi distro.

The dam output to /var/ttyAMA0 - for instance when volume is changed via my 10k pot on the dam its volume is
Like this

I want to be able to put this information to a small lcd screen connected to a rpi (but that is another question)

However first time after powercycle I do this "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" and turing the volume, it (the rpi console) goes "crazy" - flickering in the CLI and extreme distortion in the sound.
To fix it again I have to connect to dam umanager and turn volume up and down.
I have to connect via serial program to the dam1021 first and the disconnect and the "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" puts out in correct manner and no problem.

Anyone else experienced this? And is it any explanation for this behaviour?

bambadoo, did you connect to youre PI through SSH, when saying in post #131 there is no /etc/modules in PicorePlayer?

About the cat/dev/AMA, you need this for showing the volume on youre lcd right?

Jesper.

Like this

I want to be able to put this information to a small lcd screen connected to a rpi (but that is another question.....

I've avoided using the RPI for anything other than audio processing. Just my anal purist approach...:)

I use a small Arduino clone to do all the display (OLED screen), volume, input and filter switching as well as IR remote control. Relieves the rpi of any responsibility for processing anything other than the audio. Thanks to hifiduino and dimdim's generous posting of their code online it's not difficult to have total control of the DAM and freedom to do whatever you like in terms of UI via a small micro controller. Dimdim has recently posted a guide to using an STM32 uC - well worth investigating.