Linux servers and Soekris DAM1021

Additional configuration

The standard installation of Voyage for RPI enables two ALSA outputs. In my Soekris installation I chose to have only one. I used WinSCP to edit the /etc/mpd.conf file as follows: comment out the four lines under 'An example of an ALSA output' in the Audio Output section. The fourth line referred to is the bracket under 'mixer_index '0'.

Then, scroll to the bottom of mpd.conf and you will see a second uncommented 'audio output' a few lines above the bottom; change "hw:1,0" to "hw:0,0"

I also generally change mixer_type "hardware" to mixer_type "disabled"

Not critical but....

Try it on the B. If you run into problems post here and I will try and help.

Thank you for your extensive instructions and offer to help. I hope to give them a try over the weekend and will let you know. Getting the initial image onto a SD card is going to be the hard part as I don't (yet) have a linux machine other then the RPi it selve, (I don't want to mess with my BBB).

Thank you for your extensive instructions and offer to help. I hope to give them a try over the weekend and will let you know. Getting the initial image onto a SD card is going to be the hard part as I don't (yet) have a linux machine other then the RPi it selve, (I don't want to mess with my BBB).

Go for it. It's a lot easier than it reads in my guide. Use your Pi as the Linux machine as explained in the guide. You don't need a dedicated Linux machine. Main thing is to download the three programs first, WinSCP, Win32Disk Imager and Fing (if you have an Apple I-device).

Also, I installed it on a Pi B today for a friend and it worked fine on 16/44, 24/96 and 24/192.

Last edited:
Go for it. It's a lot easier than it reads in my guide. Use your Pi as the Linux machine as explained in the guide. You don't need a dedicated Linux machine. Main thing is to download the three programs first, WinSCP, Win32Disk Imager and Fing (if you have an Apple I-device).

Also, I installed it on a Pi B today for a friend and it worked fine on 16/44, 24/96 and 24/192.

Great news, good to know. You wouldn't just be able to Wetransfer the complete SD image, would you? :)

Great news, good to know. You wouldn't just be able to Wetransfer the complete SD image, would you? :)

I can if you like - but you'd still have to configure it. And what happens if down the road you want to d/l the latest version? PM me your email if you want to go that route but I'd suggest trying to diy first....;-)

Take heart, others have struggled through it - and learnt a lot.

I can if you like - but you'd still have to configure it. And what happens if down the road you want to d/l the latest version? PM me your email if you want to go that route but I'd suggest trying to diy first....;-)

Take heart, others have struggled through it - and learnt a lot.

Hi Derekr, I can seem to download the installation script: http://mirror.voyage.hk/download/voyage-mubox/rpi/install-mubox-rpi.sh"

Can you email it to me? I'll PM you?

(I've tried several PC's at different locations..)

Hi Derekr, I can seem to download the installation script: http://mirror.voyage.hk/download/voyage-mubox/rpi/install-mubox-rpi.sh"

Can you email it to me? I'll PM you?

(I've tried several PC's at different locations..)

You don't 'download' it as such; you copy it to the clipboard so as to paste it into the init-mubox-rpi.sh file later on (use the mouse to highlight everything in the link and then press Ctrl-C).

Then, after you've created the file you paste (Ctrl-V) what you copied into it and save. Keep going, you're nearly there....

You don't 'download' it as such; you copy it to the clipboard so as to paste it into the init-mubox-rpi.sh file later on (use the mouse to highlight everything in the link and then press Ctrl-C).

Then, after you've created the file you paste (Ctrl-V) what you copied into it and save. Keep going, you're nearly there....

Thanks Derekr, the link was down. When I tried a few hours later the file was accessible agian. Rightclick -> save as worked best.

I've got it up and running now, accesible via Mpod etc.., all is looking fine. When I play a file, I still get no sound.

No offense but, I'm not quite the beginner you might think I am. :)

Can you verify the below behaviour?

Connecting via IS2, when not playing a file, I have +3.2 V on BCLK & LRCK and 0V at DATA in, when playing a file (and getting a lock, (ie. solid green led, confirmed at the console, with L044 etc..) I measure 1.6V (half of 3.2, modulated signal..?) at all three I2S pins. Is this expected behaviour?

Last edited:
After a few challenges I got Voyage running yesterday. It sounds excellent. After trying all of the mpd options for arm I like this the best. The improvement over squeezebox emulators is as large as moving from passive to active crossovers (or no crossovers...)
I have not tried the i2s over usb hardware, I am using direct i2s so not sure what kind of difference that makes.
Thanks Derek for your assistance, I would suggest that it is worth the learning curve for anyone wanting to try it out!

Which gui do you like best for this? I don't love Mpod but its usable and stable.

Also the airplay plugin works great as a convenience feature. Sounds good, like picoreplayer. Loses the magic of the direct connection though!

I’ve installed Voyage on the Rpi version B -> I2S -> Dam1012, green light comes on solid and I get message on the console…, still no sound. I’m pretty convinced it’s a hardware problem/fault.
Can anyone spot a mistake I made?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

At a quick glance that hookup looks right. And it looks like your client indicates the song is playing. You might try running ground jumpers to the DATA, LRCK and BCK ISO GND pins on the Soekris from any available rpi GPIO GNDS pins.

Just to dot i's here, can you post what aplay -l (that's lowercase L) in PuTTY returns?

EDIT: on a more careful look, it seems like you have connected the 5V output on the RPI P5 header to the DAM's 3v3 ISO pin!! You need to move the blue wire on the RPI to the pin next to it - the 3.3V pin. Hope you haven't damaged the Soekris.....

Last edited:
After a few challenges I got Voyage running yesterday. It sounds excellent. After trying all of the mpd options for arm I like this the best. The improvement over squeezebox emulators is as large as moving from passive to active crossovers (or no crossovers...)
I have not tried the i2s over usb hardware, I am using direct i2s so not sure what kind of difference that makes.
Thanks Derek for your assistance, I would suggest that it is worth the learning curve for anyone wanting to try it out!

Which gui do you like best for this? I don't love Mpod but its usable and stable.

Also the airplay plugin works great as a convenience feature. Sounds good, like picoreplayer. Loses the magic of the direct connection though!

I tend to favour mPad on an iPad Mini as a gui. You're right, mPod is a little clunky. Not a fan of mpDroid on the Androids either. They all seem to work well though so it's down to what you normally use, I guess. And yes, agree that Voyage is the best sounding of those I've tried on the Pi/Soekris.

And while I don't see the point of using a USB>i2s interface out of the Pi (with the Soekris, I mean) I'd be interested to hear your comparison. Along with the Soekris reclocking the non-purist clocking of the Pi that 'direct connection' of the i2s must be the magic as you say - I may try an i2s board (no wires) with a proper ground plane for fun one day. Or even a three-layer version....plug the Pi into the Soekris - there's a thought...;-p

Meanwhile it's quite a killer bang-for-the-buck combo.

At a quick glance that hookup looks right. And it looks like your client indicates the song is playing. You might try running ground jumpers to the DATA, LRCK and BCK ISO GND pins on the Soekris from any available rpi GPIO GNDS pins.

Just to dot i's here, can you post what aplay -l (that's lowercase L) in PuTTY returns?

EDIT: on a more careful look, it seems like you have connected the 5V output on the RPI P5 header to the DAM's 3v3 ISO pin!! You need to move the blue wire on the RPI to the pin next to it - the 3.3V pin. Hope you haven't damaged the Soekris.....

I'm pretty sure that blue wire is connected correctly to 3.3V (Pin 2 on P5) - Pin 1 is 5V and is not connected. The main supply to the Dam1021 on mine is fed from a 15V CT transformer and I would think that would be the easier solution to get it running. Also mine has no volume control or input selector connected either so maybe try without those to get started.

EDIT: Just noticed Derek's comment about the main supply - that looks like the DDDAC supply so only one rail available for DC, you will need a +12v/-12V supply if you want to use external DC instead of the simple AC supply.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Good news, the pos/neg rail power was the issue. I've got it working. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

I do like Voyage, it seems very stable.

One thing I noticed is that the signal becomes destorted at the RCA outputs (connected with headphone directly), when I turn the volume up to about V50.. How do you guys deal with this?