It must be a conspiracy!/venting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe Dave is the messenger

chris ma said:

IMHO, I think Dave was just the messenger on behalf of the Forum in this case. Chris:)

haldor said:
It is very easy to criticize how someone else does their job and from the outside everything "looks" easy. Put yourselves in the shoes of the moderators (please no, that has to be one of the more thankless jobs).

Phil [/B]

To Halojoy

Terminate in this usage means to fire or end their contract or get rid of them.

It has been said that the US is a lawyers heaven - there are numerous "nuisance" suits. I consider them to be one of the worst abuses of our time. I also consider those who "threaten" legal action to be abusers and worse than spoiled brats - I refuse to have them working for me and refuse to do business with them, or associate with them. Since I am the owner, they are the one that will depart as soon as I am able to see to it that this occurs "legally".

Ken

haldor said:
- Getting some ego boost from being respected for our knowledge and insight (we all like that). :angel:

I want to expand on that last reason for posting. In my opinion this is at the heart of most of the conflicts we see. We all value the regard of people we respect and some people react badly to anyone disputing or arguing with their positions.

In extreme cases some people attack almost by reflex anytime anyone posts a certain point of view. I saw this most recently in the thread about wire color. This was a fun, lighthearted, nonsense thread that no one was taking seriously. And of course someone had to jump in with rude, disrepectfull posts that educated no-one and only made for bad feelings.

Next time you get angry and start to make a dismissive, or rude post ask yourself why you feel threatened by someone else's opinion.

Phil

term - terminate

Ken L said:
To Halojoy
Terminate in this usage means to fire or end their contract or get rid of them.
Ken
So it has more to do with the words "term and conditions".
And "fire" and "get rid" is used in that context.
To end a relation.

Not like Swartzenegger in Terminator:
fire a machinegun to get rid them of for good :D

The english language is funny and fantastic! Isn't it?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Theoretically, it is really very simple. We learn the Golden Rule when we are children. All we need to do practice it when we post. This alone will eliminate most conflicts, but clearly this is not being done.

The moderators should moderate, not escalate, and certainly not instigate conflicts. I see this as the problem in this case.

I revert to my previous recommendations.
roddyama said:
There’s a moral to this story, there are some people you can disagree with, and some people you’d better not or else.:headshot:

Disappointed,:sigh:
Rodd Yamashita

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: term - terminate

halojoy said:

So it has more to do with the words "term and conditions".
And "fire" and "get rid" is used in that context.
To end a relation.

Not like Swartzenegger in Terminator:
fire a machinegun to get rid them of for good :D

The english language is funny and fantastic! Isn't it?
Halojoy,

You crack me up,... whoops,... you make me laugh:D :D :D

Rodd Yamashita

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Havoc said:
delete the threads.

Some posts just have no place on this forum. This critism has been raised before. The Trash Bin is the response to this. Althou no posts are ever deleted (except by the express wish of the poster), posts that are being removed from view will be put in the Trash Bin 1st, where if it is felt there is a need by the members they can appeal the decision to remove the post.

dave :cop:
(moderator hat on)

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
We learn the Golden Rule when we are children

Blessed is the peacemaker. The whole point of this hobby and music is to escape the conflict in the world which we surely can agree is raging. It needs no more contributions from here. I am as guilty as anyone and I for one will try to tone it down. Let us agree to disagree without turning this place into a bar room brawl.

There are many paths. I have heard many different approaches to audio design. Some might not be the one I would take but sound very good. I also have had to learn to try new things that I was skeptical about and trust my ears over my intellect on many occasions. I am very wary of someone with preconceived ideas without the experience and open mindedness to try some new things and listen carefully. The art of audio design has a habit of humilating both dogmatist and engineers alike again and again.

The number of products designed by people who really listen is smaller than anyone knows. Commercial pressures make it almost impossible to design state of the art equipment and make a living doing it. Before you belive every thing you read in reviews go find out what advetising cost in the mainstream magazines. It will make a skeptic of you pretty fast. Digital technology changes fast enough that it is never truly mature. The marketing departments sell whole new formats before the older ones are ever mature and debuged. The phrase "New and Improved" is mostly the first and very little of the latter. There are really not many no compromise products out there.

Serious audio design is a constant learning curve even for those really listen. That is what seperates art from commerce. The number of things that I thought ludicrous until listening and learning is a very long list and has brought me plenty of abuse from the engineering community. I design and listen for my pleasure and not someone elses opinion. I have never figured out how to listen through someone elses ears.

DIY provides a path around the commercial offerings but will require a lot of time and effort. It will free you from the commercial gurus and provide a lot of return for the expenditure. You can build a whole system for the cost of an anal retentive meter pair of interconnects. Sounds like a no brainer to me and my kind of conspiracy.

Tis the season to be jolly,
Fred

grataku said:
KenL
must be real fun working for you!

Actually, my staff is loyal, happy and frequently turn down offers from others due to benevolent working conditions. One of which is they don't have to take BS from jerks who holler "I'll turn this over to my attorneys" :xeye:

And how happy are the people you have working for you, Grataku?;)

Ken

Sorry - My nerves are not made of steel

dhaen said:
I think he'd make a good one!

Sorry - My nerves are not made of steel and
I do not want them to be that either.

Besides,
being a moderator is never good for anyone's image.
How many can appreciate a good boss in the long run? :confused:
When your sinking star change its direction
you better be aware ...... be on your guard

the more I know - the less I know

I had to search the web for a
-term-
that Fred used. I had never heard it before.
The web told me it is used in Psychology.
When I read the explaination I got some feeling of what it means.
But those words used in the explanation are no children's game
to deal with.
So I better search on those words, too.
As history is said to repeat itself,
I estimate to be back from my webjourney in some weeks.
At least that is what I hope.
See you.

anal-retentive
SYLLABICATION: a·nal-re·ten·tive
PRONUNCIATION: nl-r-tntv KEY
ADJECTIVE: Psychology Indicating personality traits, such as meticulousness, avarice, and obstinacy, originating in habits, attitudes, or values associated with infantile pleasure in retention of feces.

I think Fred's description of Diy and Business of Audio
is a rather good summary of the present status.
As a summary by its form have to exclude all exceptions good or bad,
and is seen from a momentarary chosen viewpoint,
there can always be views added to complete the picture.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I have really enjoyed the time that I have spent here on the forum over the last 10 months, and this place has really sparked an interest in audio and amplifer design for me. I have learned stuff that I wouldn't learn in any classes at school. I still have a whole lot to learn, but I am enjoying it.

One thing that I have learned is that there is no absolute path in audio design, and everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. Why must people still result to defamation of another's character, simply because they have different ideals?

--
Brian

Re: calumny

BrianGT said:
Why must people still result to defamation of another's character, simply because they have different ideals?

--
Brian [/B]

Ah, lets embark on a philosophical journey!
Or lets have a closer look to the dynamics of a conversation.

What I have seen in this forum (a factor that makes this forum no different from all forums around the net) is a gradual escalation into a real verbal fight, an escalation that can be reduced to misinterpretation of words or parts of sentences.

Fairly logical, since written words only convey a very small part af all the information one gets when talking to someone else face to face.
What If we really SAW Fred Dieckmann when he posts one of his witty texts. Some of us might not laugh (sorry Fred) others might find the words even more funny.

Qiud, lets be very careful, before we react. Take three deep breaths, sleep at least one night and only then answer. And reread your answer too. Twice :angel:

Of course, we could all install webcams.

Marc:film:

Re: We learn the Golden Rule when we are children

Fred Dieckmann said:
Blessed is the peacemaker. The whole point of this hobby and music is to escape the conflict in the world which we surely can agree is raging. It needs no more contributions from here. I am as guilty as anyone and I for one will try to tone it down. Let us agree to disagree without turning this place into a bar room brawl.

Fred, you're my hero!!!!!!! :hug:

Brilliant!

Re: Re: It must be a conspiracy!

All,

I think we shouldn't forget what this thread was initially about.

Ken L said:

If Dice and the moderators were evil men with bad hearts they would not have acted in such a manner with HH, Fred.

totally agree with that, I have already stated this earlier.

Ken L said:
The legal part of this may bear more weight than you think. I received an E-mail from Frank where he copied what he had sent the site. It was clear that he was threatening legal action and not humourous.

:bigeyes:

Now what does that mean????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.