Help me design a speaker that my wife will let me build!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dug Ronald's wife and speakers:

Attachments

• PB010017.jpg
    PB010017.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 359
SEAS 18 coax works well in a closed box and it's outer diameter is only 180mm - can perhaps be fitted in IKEA bowl

Crossover suggestion as SEAS Loki The Madisound Speaker Store

Or different version of tweeter and xo Hifitalo AW-7 Aw-7 rakennussarja - Hifitalo

Minimal baffle reduces bass below 400Hz - you will need more bsc than in kits mentioned above. It also means less sensitivity for the finished speaker.

Oops, Edge shows that minimal baffle reduces bass 1,5-2dB anywhere below 1200Hz - you will need more bsc than in kits mentioned above. It also means less sensitivity for the finished speaker. A new xo or minidsp is suggested!
That seems good too, not quite as impressive off-axis (though still good) and some irregularities in the HF-area.

I'm planning on using a setup of miniDSPs or the nanoAVR.

Not really. There are number of beautiful speakers from the past. Today we just have to reinvent the wheel.

Copy the outlook, insert your best technology.

altec605a1.jpg

Sound_and_Style-1024x696.jpg
These would be pretty in the right home. Not in our living room though, it has a way too strict/modern/scandinavian touch.

/Anton

LOL...:)

In the 70's i also ran a Pr of 30" EV's, the term back then was not subwoofer, but subsonic driver. With such humongous mass, you could not xover the driver much above 50hz, too much distortion if you did , so i settled on 55hz. The Lowbass was absurd, you cannot believe the detail this thing pulls out, or the limited amount of LP's that actual gave you much info below 50hz ..:)

Sadly i had to sell when moving some 35yrs ago and could never replaced them years later when i wanted a pr again, so , sadly have to live with (4) 15's for subs.

Rats ..:rolleyes:

I cant even begin to imagine what 6 of them sound like but can speculate most of the bass is in his neighbors house ... :rofl:

Last edited:
An actual update on my wifes opinion!

TL;DR
Build discrete subs and put something that sticks out on top.

Intro
So we talked about speakers today! I didn't show her any of my own designs, it was more about what kind of speakers she likes and what not. This is how I percieved her taste:

1. No rectangular parallelpipeds (geez that's a long word in english, "rätblock" in swedish).
We looked at (floor-standing) speakers from the swedish shop hifiklubben (Dali, Cerwin Vega, B&W) and none of them were ok.

2. Not a row of fancy/blingy (visible) drivers.
A single visible driver is ok, as long as it's not huge and shiny. If the drivers are covered with something (cloth or metal grill) it's fine, like the speakers we own.

3. On wall is good.
I asked what she thought about on-wall, she looked confused, I showed her Dali IKON On-wall Mk2 (while on the hifiklubben website).
me: like these, just hang them on the wall centered between the TV and the wall.
her: yeah, that's alright.
me: with subwoofers on the floor?
her: sure.

(Sounds sarcastic in writing, it wasn't. Might be my crappy english.)
I exaggerated their size slightly (30x45x15) and she didn't seem to think that was a problem.

4. A subwoofer with hidden driver (down-firing or with grill) is ok as a stand for a speaker.
She specifically liked the Scandyna The Drop (http://www.podspeakers.dk/) and the idea of them standing on white or black subwoofers.

5. What about the spheres
After this I felt that my first (paint) sketches were a decent guess. She has two problems with the spheres in the bedroom:
a) The finish must be "like they are made in a factory". I think this is criticizing the fact that the spheres in the bedroom don't have an actual stand (only acoustic foam) and a screw sticking out.
b) They don't "catch the eye" enough. (Yes, she said that...) I.e. that a white subwoofer with a bamboo sphere on top would be too discrete.

My thoughts
So subwoofers are not a problem (yay!). Now I need to come up with a way of making something that
- catches the eye
- has a great finish
- sounds nice

Ideas?
Build a sphere, but with some kind of fancy fastening mechanism to the subwoofer. Maybe this isn't such a bad idea:
w72TLTI.jpg

She seemed to like the idea of a speaker that isn't as tall as the ones we have though, so I'll try a few designs that are shorter.

Holy crap that's a long post... Here's a picture of my cat for those of you that read it all:
FbSWqNo.jpg

/Anton

- Beyma 6CX200Fe (or Nd-versions, they are a little pricey though), very interesting!

I would look at the 5CX200Nd/N if the limited Xmax is acceptable. If you crossover at say 150hz you should be ok but then the subwoofer will have to be close to the main speaker so that the sound does not feel separated.

SEAS 18 coax works well in a closed box and it's outer diameter is only 180mm - can perhaps be fitted in IKEA bowl

Oops, Edge shows that minimal baffle reduces bass 1,5-2dB anywhere below 1200Hz - you will need more bsc than in kits mentioned above.

The SEAS C16N001 looks like a good option but at 85db sens hmm...maybe not as efficient.

Sadly i had to sell when moving some 35yrs ago and could never replaced them years later when i wanted a pr again, so , sadly have to live with (4) 15's for subs.

Ha ha when I first moved to India my loudspeakers included 2 JBL B460 Bass bin (2245 woofers in 10 cu. ft) mated to a MTM towers using a pair of Focal 8N515 and a MDT33. My wife first reduced the bass bins to half their size so I used a 4 Audio Concepts DV12 (2 per bin) and added a MTM satellite using ScanSpeak's 18W8546 and 9900. Now the system is a pair of Selah Audio Tempesta Extreme towers and a single TC sounds 12" for bass effects (we added some rear speakers too as my wife is more of a movie watcher than audio person). Obviously amplifier sizes have also reduced. Every generation the size reduces, and I expect my next system might be similar to onni's. :)

3. On wall is good.
I asked what she thought about on-wall, she looked confused, I showed her Dali IKON On-wall Mk2 (while on the hifiklubben website).
me: like these, just hang them on the wall centered between the TV and the wall.
her: yeah, that's alright.
me: with subwoofers on the floor?
her: sure.

I exaggerated their size slightly (30x45x15) and she didn't seem to think that was a problem.

4. A subwoofer with hidden driver (down-firing or with grill) is ok as a stand for a speaker.
She specifically liked the Scandyna The Drop (http://www.podspeakers.dk/) and the idea of them standing on white or black subwoofers.

Have you seen the Focal Egg? It was pretty well known in the mid 80s. I have added a pic of a more modern version maybe this with a hidden subwoofer (I have also added pictures of credanzas that can accommodate a hidden subwoofer).

Also have you seen the Tannoy Arena?
Tannoy Arena 5.1 Loudspeaker System Reviewed

Attachments

• Egg_Loudspeaker_3.jpg
    Egg_Loudspeaker_3.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2,120
  • berlin hanging lightlow.jpg
    berlin hanging lightlow.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 82
  • contemporary-storage-furniture-solid-hardwood.jpg
    contemporary-storage-furniture-solid-hardwood.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 66
  • focal egg.jpg
    focal egg.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Ideas?
Build a sphere, but with some kind of fancy fastening mechanism to the subwoofer. Maybe this isn't such a bad idea:
The "fancy fastening mechanism" is horrible. Something made it dropping from space, alien thing ! Actually, you don't need any link between the two, other than crossing each other and having each - 3dB at crossover point. The floor placing of the sub enclosure might change its response and also the boundary - so a 5-6" low efficiency TB or similar ( Seas L16-RNX ?!? ) would suit.

To be brutally frank, it would seem your wife is insisting on speakers that don't really exist... You can't get something for nothing, she should yield in this instance.

If it is the actual physical EXISTENCE of such devices, you have some problems...& she has rejected the existence of your 'hobby', your interests'.

______________________________________________Rick..........

Yeah, I think you're only choice is probably in-the-wall speakers and subwoofers, which includes building out the existing wall to provide enough space for them.

Just arrived at this thread - there are some interesting designs here!

Cal Weldon has already mentioned it, but the first thought I had was his Cornu spiral designs. With my very basic first try they sound really nice, very natural.

What about the Linkwitz Pluto speakers? Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design
I actually showed her the Linkwitz Pluto speaker a while ago and she really didn't like it. :/

Yeah, I think you're only choice is probably in-the-wall speakers and subwoofers, which includes building out the existing wall to provide enough space for them.
I feel like you didn't read my last post (I'm not blaming you, it was long :)). I actually haven't thought about the possibility to thicken the wall... The room behing the wall with the TV wouldn't really suffer from loosing 1-2 dm. Thanks for the idea!

I would look at the 5CX200Nd/N if the limited Xmax is acceptable. If you crossover at say 150hz you should be ok but then the subwoofer will have to be close to the main speaker so that the sound does not feel separated.

The SEAS C16N001 looks like a good option but at 85db sens hmm...maybe not as efficient.

Ha ha when I first moved to India my loudspeakers included 2 JBL B460 Bass bin (2245 woofers in 10 cu. ft) mated to a MTM towers using a pair of Focal 8N515 and a MDT33. My wife first reduced the bass bins to half their size so I used a 4 Audio Concepts DV12 (2 per bin) and added a MTM satellite using ScanSpeak's 18W8546 and 9900. Now the system is a pair of Selah Audio Tempesta Extreme towers and a single TC sounds 12" for bass effects (we added some rear speakers too as my wife is more of a movie watcher than audio person). Obviously amplifier sizes have also reduced. Every generation the size reduces, and I expect my next system might be similar to onni's. :)

Have you seen the Focal Egg? It was pretty well known in the mid 80s. I have added a pic of a more modern version maybe this with a hidden subwoofer (I have also added pictures of credanzas that can accommodate a hidden subwoofer).

Also have you seen the Tannoy Arena?
Tannoy Arena 5.1 Loudspeaker System Reviewed
I'm afraid that if I show her the Tannoy arena she'll like them too much... I can't build anything that sounds good that is that small.

Do you think there is an obvious reason to choose the Nd-version instead of the Fe-version (5CX200)? It's more than 60 % plus for just another magnet.

/Anton

This caught my eye today:
WEKzZjN.jpg

My three year-old for scale. The diameter is about 42 cm and height about 50 cm. Material is steel inside and some kind of wood on outside (?). The shape is quite similar to The Drop. I showed my wife some photos and she likes it. Let's try some renderings of it:

09SDqtx.jpg

As a down-firing subwoofer. 25 mm MDF (high gloss white) with four 10 cm long legs hidden by speaker grill cloth. On wall solution as proposed earlier. This is a seriously good way of disguising a quite large subwoofer (35 l).

iTX8gx4.jpg

xAYyJa2.jpg

A little larger stand (26 cm white + 11 cm cloth/legs) and with the fullrange/coaxial covered by another grill.

W8ZVuxJ.jpg

Circumferential grill.

/Anton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.