Help me design a speaker that my wife will let me build!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Define sexy looking speaker... ;)

/Anton

For instance you posted picture of speakers you found while surfing in post #128 and said: "The WAF isn't very high, but if you add a grill to both drivers and the woofer-gap..."

They do look a bit big, and that could be the problem, but in picture you posted they look really pretty, and I don't understand the need to cover drivers and woofer gap. They look nice and clean, no need to cover that.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member

Attachments

• 434435715a6b3b17536d0549966b8e61.jpg
    434435715a6b3b17536d0549966b8e61.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 364
Good suggestions!

In her defence she is pregnant with our second child... Earlier she would be mostly indifferent to my speaker ideas. I want to build a speaker that she likes, not just tolerates, if that is possible.

She does like the speakers that we have now and doesn't really see the point in exchanging them. The panel above the sofa is a acoustic absorber and there is a plan on adding something similar to the TV-wall (as seen behind the oak/black speaker).

/Anton

Then you need your own "hifi room". I know that's tough in Sweden, but someday you may have a big enough house to have your own room. She's being a practical Swede. Why get rid of perfectly good speakers when we have a baby on the way?

You are bumping up against a "life circumstances" limitation in your current life. You seem to only have room for one hifi, and that's in the formal living room, and she's pregnant, etc... You can just wait until you have different circumstances, or give up.

We had a discussion yesterday on how to best hide the subwoofers and came up with what you are suggesting.
/Anton

I don't know if I posted this before but these were the option I used to hide my subwoofers.

The Living room front speakers are the Selah Peridot-Excel (SEAS Excel version of the Peridot) and the bedroom front speakers are Selah's Tempesta Extreme.

If I had to do it again I would have used just a Tempesta (not the Extreme) on a stand.

Attachments

• contemporary-storage-furniture-solid-hardwood.jpg
    contemporary-storage-furniture-solid-hardwood.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 322
  • berlin hanging lightlow.jpg
    berlin hanging lightlow.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 317
  • ribbed door cabinet.jpg
    ribbed door cabinet.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 319
  • Navin's Living room TV unit.jpg
    Navin's Living room TV unit.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 313
  • Navin's Bedroom TV Unit.jpg
    Navin's Bedroom TV Unit.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Sorry, I meant driver and was trying to hint that it's very subjective. Some people like drivers and others don't.

Then you need your own "hifi room". I know that's tough in Sweden, but someday you may have a big enough house to have your own room. She's being a practical Swede. Why get rid of perfectly good speakers when we have a baby on the way?

You are bumping up against a "life circumstances" limitation in your current life. You seem to only have room for one hifi, and that's in the formal living room, and she's pregnant, etc... You can just wait until you have different circumstances, or give up.
The plan is actually to start the project this winter, when the baby isn't so young anymore (and hopefully sleeping at night).

Of course I dream of having my own home theatre, but I'll have to wait a few (10?) years before I can buy a larger house.

I don't know if I posted this before but these were the option I used to hide my subwoofers.

The Living room front speakers are the Selah Peridot-Excel (SEAS Excel version of the Peridot) and the bedroom front speakers are Selah's Tempesta Extreme.

If I had to do it again I would have used just a Tempesta (not the Extreme) on a stand.
Nice suggestions!

What are dimensions of your living room? I'm just curious.
These are the dimensions:
j7Y9Wc9.jpg

Heres a first rendering of subwoofers integrated into the console and a half-sphere on-wall speaker.

Ne92Nfp.jpg

bvhWMHn.jpg

mw4Fs2t.jpg

lxD7aQM.jpg

I tried hiding the cable first, but maybe accentuating it is better?

The design is heavily influenced by the Libratone Loop, but considerably larger (38 cm diameter, 17 cm deep).

The brown thing is supposed to be a piece of leather with a logo.

/Anton

Last edited:
Hey Onni,

What about something like this. It's not much bigger than the speakers you already have except being deeper. This is a proven design from Audio Psychic. They were raved about a few years back but need a subwoofer to help them out for better bass.

You could build something like this with a bigger heaver base so the baby could not tip it over.

On a side note. Does it make any sense to build a pair of new speakers unless you can improve on the sound quality of the existing system and meet the WAF.

Attachments

• Audio_physic_brand_page_tempo_25_speaker.gif
    Audio_physic_brand_page_tempo_25_speaker.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 98
  • ambient_wuxga.jpg
    ambient_wuxga.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Here's another possibility for a small floor standing speaker.

7 inch woofer
5.25 mid bass
1 inch tweeter

Mini Watt\Puppy style dual enclosure.

About 8 inches wide at bottom enclosure.
Narrow enclosure at top gives open space feel like it's not taking up much space in the room.
14 inches deep
32 inches tall

with high end cabinet construction very high quality sound potential in small space and reasonable build cost.

Attachments

• small speaker assem2.jpg
    small speaker assem2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 143
This is a proven design from Audio Psychic.

Mini Watt\Puppy style dual enclosure.

I think all of these are similar to his existing speakers there are many lovely looking tower speakers but wives don't normally take to them.

Another DIYaudio member has recently built this
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/250366-sonus-faber-cremona-hybrid-clone-8.html

In short I think towers of any kind are ruled out.

Coming back to the On Wall design. How about this?
PA1 Wall Speaker System With Dual Stereo Pairing ? Highsnobiety

Oh and I have a few older photos too from PMC, Paradigm, Monitor Audio and more.

An if all else fails there is Wisdom Audio! ;)

Attachments

• focal 836W 2011.png
    focal 836W 2011.png
    247 KB · Views: 72
  • Scorpio_25_CAD.jpg
    Scorpio_25_CAD.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 88
  • audio physics avantera.jpg
    audio physics avantera.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 75
  • revel ultima salon2.jpg
    revel ultima salon2.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 52
  • engraved top of speaker.jpg
    engraved top of speaker.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Art Acoustic.jpg
    Art Acoustic.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 58
  • monitor audio sound frame.jpg
    monitor audio sound frame.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Paradigm Millenia.jpg
    Paradigm Millenia.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 58
  • PMC.jpg
    PMC.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 61
  • PA1-Wall-Speaker-System.jpg
    PA1-Wall-Speaker-System.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 63
I’m glad not all Swedish wives are the same. Mine seems to be pretty cool with nice speakers in the living room. For a couple of weeks a ago she came in my workshop and discover I was working on new speakers: SP44 and the conversation went something like this:

Wife: What are you doing?
Me: Ehhhh.
Wife: Looks like new speakers.
Me: Yeah, I’m trying something new.
Wife: Looks to me you came pretty far for just trying something new.
Me: Yeah, it went pretty good lately.
Wife: Why didn’t you tell me?
Me: Wasn’t sure this would work.
Wife: They look big.
Me: Well, they are just as wide and high as the old ones (Troels super mini monitors).
Wife: Yeah, but the old ones are stand mounted.
Me: Yep.
Wife: And this ones look much deeper.
Me: Only about 10 cm.
Wife: What color will they get?
Me: Walnut veneer with black front.
Wife: ok, but you could have told me.
Me: Sorry!!!
then when wife was gone: YES!!!

Even the rest of the stereo PrimaLuna Dialogue One integrated and Premium CD and Furutech garden hose sized speaker cable is ok.

Why are you putting so much effort into a space that is not very good for hifi? The sound in that space will never be very good. Stop bothering about this and enjoy what you have. You will be so busy with the new baby that you won't care about hifi for a long time.

Focus on getting a better job that pays more so you can then buy a bigger house and have your own home theater.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.