Help me design a speaker that my wife will let me build!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
this is beautiful!
I have to respectfully disagree:
Copper-3qtr-front-med.jpg

Three ways coming.
David

How very "Vernish", Steampunky. There is something great about that stuff. It still hasnt hit full stride as accepted decor.

I measured the thickness of the wall yesterday, it is about 9 cm in total. I'm guessing that it means 70 mm wood/void and 2x12 mm plasterboard. What woofers are thin enough (maximum depth of 80 mm)?

I still have this as an option, but my wife is usually hesitant making holes in the walls.

/Anton

Hey Anton.....sorry I'm late to this thread.

So you want to build something that looks great, fits your decor and your and your wife's 'style' correct?

I see a flat panel screen as well. Do you need low frequency extension for movie effects and such as well?

Does your wife also like LED lighting?

Hey Anton.....sorry I'm late to this thread.

So you want to build something that looks great, fits your decor and your and your wife's 'style' correct?

I see a flat panel screen as well. Do you need low frequency extension for movie effects and such as well?

Does your wife also like LED lighting?
The LF extension is one of the things that i want but my current system lacks.

I've been thinking about adding LED-lights behind some of the on-wall designs, but I'm afraid it will be too much when combined with the Ambilight from the TV. Or did you have another idea?

Honey, I will Rock your World!

Corner Controlled Directivity Speakers.
That would be a great idea (maybe a 10" version) , if the room was more rectangular. Now there is no corner where the right speaker should be mounted.

A few more renderings:
yofS9T2.jpg

White sphere on matte black hexagon stand (down-firing woofer).

LhpqcAc.jpg

NQRbK7w.jpg

UR0fLkq.jpg

Slanted white pyramid (down-firing woofer), bamboo spheres.

7xaz97n.jpg

6rtDeoA.jpg

Another wall mounted design, with about 50 l volume for woofer.

I saw this speaker while surfing:
DSC_2576.jpg

Here.
Very pretty, and I like the push-pull configuration. The WAF isn't very high, but if you add a grill to both drivers and the woofer-gap... Maybe? It needs to be smaller too.

/Anton

Claim the corners! Just say no wife. those are *my* corners, you may have the rest to bend to your will, but not the corners. Rise up, reclaim the corners from the dustballs and whatever else is there, we are at least equal to dustballs. If that doesn't work put Altec 19s at your girlfriends place.

A few renderings based on the last image in my latest post.

p7UfPb4.jpg

deMQUef.jpg

Measurements of the MarkAudio Alpair 7.3 and Dayton Audio RSS210. It can hide a push-push configuration.

k7Vxzay.jpg

With cover for the woofers. I actually kinda like this... It can hide a push-pull configuration.

Dimensions:
Maximum width = 260 mm
Front-face width = 120 mm
Depth = 300 mm
Height = 1100 mm

Let's see if I have understood this correctly.
Push-push pros: Reduced vibrations in enclosure.
Push-pull pros: Reduced vibrations in enclosure and odd harmonics cancel each other out.

/Anton

naaah, its too big for any WAF only if it was in the size of
fingernail polish like some bozo speakers

Actually, those fullrange drivers you were mentioning in a bozo
context, are of good quality and probably the only part of the
set that works properly, considering what manufacturer had in mind.

Once I had the chance of inspecting them closer, hence the opinion.

Very pretty, and I like the push-pull configuration. The WAF isn't very high, but if you add a grill to both drivers and the woofer-gap... Maybe? It needs to be smaller too./Anton

I like the "eyeball/pyramid" combination best, so far. Beats the wall mount. Woofer in the base downfired .. right? Have you considered a nice coax for the top driver?

What about something like the KEF 107?
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Classic-KEF-107-Reference-Speakers-with-Kube-Fully-Boxed-/00/s/MTYwMFgxNDE4/z/Tz0AAOxy4t1Sg4c6/$_35.JPG

more details here
AllegroSound * KEF R-107 R107 Loudspeakers *

I like the "eyeball/pyramid" combination best, so far. Beats the wall mount. Woofer in the base downfired .. right? Have you considered a nice coax for the top driver?
Yup, woofer is down-firing in the base.

I did a quick check and found
- B&C 5FCX44 and 6FHX51, their frequency response curves are however very uneven...
- Beyma 5CX200Fe and 6CX200Fe (or Nd-versions, they are a little pricey though), very interesting!

Any more suggestions? The outer diameter needs to be smaller than 200 mm to fit in the IKEA-bowls.

Data sheet for Beyma 5CX200Fe here. Look at the response off-axis!

The last looks a bit like Holm speakers

HOLM Acoustics

You also have made a remake of Cabasse

Cabasse Artis Baltic II & Thor II loudspeaker system | Stereophile.com

And finallay you should look at Davone

Davone loudspeakers products

Davone Rithm don't exist anymore but also very nice

Davone Speakers featured on moderndallas.net
Many interesting speakers! Thanks!

What about something like the KEF 107?
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Classic-KEF-107-Reference-Speakers-with-Kube-Fully-Boxed-/00/s/MTYwMFgxNDE4/z/Tz0AAOxy4t1Sg4c6/$_35.JPG

more details here
AllegroSound * KEF R-107 R107 Loudspeakers *
Hmm, maybe. I'll add it to the list to show the wife :)

/Anton

Last edited:
SEAS 18 coax works well in a closed box and it's outer diameter is only 180mm - can perhaps be fitted in IKEA bowl

Crossover suggestion as SEAS Loki The Madisound Speaker Store

Or different version of tweeter and xo Hifitalo AW-7 Aw-7 rakennussarja - Hifitalo

Minimal baffle reduces bass below 400Hz - you will need more bsc than in kits mentioned above. It also means less sensitivity for the finished speaker.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.