Fullrange, are you guys kidding yourselves?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mp9 said:
hum... my doctor recommends abilify for that. lol.

Well, it is the entertainment industry and a lot depends on what you consider entertaining.

As for myself, I always wanted a "nitro switch" marked either "Turbo" or "The Most."

Its supposed to be the opposite of the sensation of either turning up the volume and getting denied because the amplifier is too weak or the worse sensation of not wanting to turn up the volume because the amplifier is peakish or too poor or downright boring.

Sometimes we need "rich, lush, and otherwise boring" for a relaxing presentation, and sometimes we need a full-size concert crammed into the house at great detriment to the plaster. That's what the switch is for. :D

Scottmoose said:

Afraid it did come across like that. If you are concerned over misinterpretation, the onus is upon you to make your post / meaning completely clear. We are not mind readers. Oh yes -one other thing, and in an entirely friendly spirit: don't tell me what to do again, OK?

Fair enough, although it's still something of a generalisation. If you'd said that in the first place, it might've saved you some time.

Again, I hate to disagree, but that's exactly what I did. I started out with TLs & QWRs, and only later branched into other, notionally 'simpler' cabinets, as well as horns, although admittedly, I doubt many other people do that.

Did anyone suggest otherwise?

I thought the meaning was clear that I was complimenting FR speakers, but there you go.

Yes my posts are usually short and at times can't give the full story as I only have one reasonable hand to type with. Thanks, and I mean that in gratitude, you have made me realise that I can no longer contribute to this forum due to my recent disability as I can longer get my message across.

On that note will leave and move onto other things.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rabbitz said:
I can no longer contribute to this forum due to my recent disability as I can longer get my message across.

No, no... that is not true. Your contributions are valuable. Scott may well have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed the day he read your post -- things are certainly a lot more civil than, say, the blowtorch thread.

Merry Christmas all.

dave

what he said.

and the web is notorious for creating misunderstandings so we all have to make an extra effort on both sides. I've enjoyed everyone's comments on this thread and I hope nobody stops posting! (except for personal back and forth stuff that may ensue ... ) :smash:

mp9 said:
i thought that was more the designers choice of efficiency vs. BW comprimise. i.e. a low throat area/low throat to driver area ratio extends a horns bandwidth but decreases efficiency. whereas a high ratio narrows the bandwidth but increases efficiency.

Hmm, a low St:Sd (< 2:1, 1:1, etc.) = low CR which decreases a horn's gain BW, increases acoustic efficiency and SQ, ergo a high St:Sd = high CR increases a horn's gain BW, acoustic power (especially near Fc) and decreases acoustic efficiency and SQ.

From this we see that high CR horns are best left to our poor hearing BWs down low and up high and <1:1 CR in our acute hearing BW with exponentially increasing CR horns to tie the extreme low-high BWs to the acute.

GM

lrntglls said:
If you like the characteristics of the full range driver.

Now add the clarity and speed of a surrounless driver to

the equation: the Fertin 20ex surroundless.

Oh there's nothing new under the sun, or how do they say..

It's a really interesting design, that Fertin. But is it spiderless too, like some older designs are?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ok, i'm not defining terms (again).

i'm using a 3:1 compression ratio for a mid bass horn (65Hz horn; used from 80 ~ 500 Hz); (higher ratio than the "sticking a horn in front of a driver with a throat near the driver diameter" as I've seen often done for mid-bass.
Sims real nice in McBean.
Efficiency isn't paramont, but I do't want to have to pad the compression driver for the low-mids/high mids/or tweeter any more than I have to.

FWIW, as a general rule, 3:1 with a point source driver is considered way too high from a SQ POV for up to a 500 Hz XO point. Again, FWIW, for decades I ran Altec's ~1:1 CR dual 15" 70-338 Hz theater horns that combined with the driver's rising step response allowed up to a 500 Hz XO, but even these had enough audible throat distortion that once I sold them I swore never to go down that path again.

GM

thanks!
that's interesting.
i'm going with those numbers, 'cuz that's what the best sounding system i've ever heard used, & it didn't sound anything like an A7, etc.
i was also told it was what Bell Labs used on the Fletcher system with the huge compression driver.
if it doesn't work, try something else...

Why down, the site works -at least here - quite well?

There's just no what so ever kind of info of that new spring suspension model. And last update quite a while ago, if that's what you mean.

Anyway, I still think I could die to get one pair of those to my hands. They look really interesting. How would they sound...

GM said:

You're welcome!

But it used an elaborate phase plug IIRC.........

GM
don't know;
have to look it up.

I don't plan on using one (for the mid-bass) unless i need to, to help roll off earlier, like an acoustic low-pass.
That & horn will be ~ 48" long.
Might cross as low as 400.
Whatever sounds best.

Trying to save building elaborate phase plugs & such for mids...

Re: Re: Re: Re: To answer the original question...

danielwritesbac said:

Interface is simple:
At first, use a standard 2nd order parallel crossover on the woofer (both first-series and second-parallel look the same at the woofer). Plan to parallel 2 or 3 caps (close proximity to the woofer terminals) rather than use one large cap (possible difference in speed). However, for smaller 2 way systems, the woofer's cap may be one 10uF or less (and probably should be polyester). Simply aim for a seemly, rich, sound from the woofer, because other details are less important.
And, then plug both connections of the inductor coil into both connections on the full range.

Daniel,

First of all, thanks for the long and interesting response. Some very good fodder for experimentation there.

I have mentally chewed on the text quoted above and am still not quite certain that I've understood what you are describing. Right now, it seems that you have just described a textbook first order series crossover. Have I missed something?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
panomaniac said:
Nelson, I've only heard one of your rigs - the 2x10+ Lowther OB rig at RMAF 2007. If it's typical of your taste I'd say you like a "well tempered" system. =)

Actually that was our "You can't do that!" system. In real life both
John and I listen at moderate levels and not to Trains and Thunder.

I wasn't there, but I am told that it was much better at '08

:cool:

The Fertin aren't spiderless. They have a carbon spider similar
to the vintage german driver that you have shown but not the
same design: different though from the conventional cloth spider.

''nothing new under the sun''

I don't know if there were many surroundless driver. I think that
with the surroundless driver, we have a major improvement in
sound quality compare to a driver with a rubber surround.

The weight of the surround in itself is about the same weight as
the cone; removing the rubber surround reduces the weight of
the driver in a important way. Not mentioning the fact that the
cone is decoupled from the basket; being free to move without
the resistance of the surroung. The result : a major reduction
in distortion , especially in the mid-bass and bass: you get a clear
sound like a veil being removed. Only this improvement would
surpass what have been done in the past.

For me a full range driver, is foremost about the purety of the sound
having less distortion from different sources. One point source in
phase. Livelyness, detail info. Matching them with the proper
amp is essentiel.

Second, the livelyness that you get, the detail information

Thirdly, the dynamic that you get from these drivers;
the acc factor is high , the bass is fast.

In open-baffle ever better.

lrntglls said:
The Fertin aren't spiderless. They have a carbon spider similar
to the vintage german driver that you have shown but not the
same design: different though from the conventional cloth spider.

''nothing new under the sun''

I don't know if there were many surroundless driver. I think that
with the surroundless driver, we have a major improvement in
sound quality compare to a driver with a rubber surround.

something like this?
http://www.vivaudiolab.com/E-evanui_signature.html
http://blog.stereophile.com/rmaf2008/viv_laboratory_evanui_signature/
no surround or spider, it just floats in the magnetic field.
only connected by the two wires going to the cone.
when I heard them playing the guy demoing them just pulled the cone off by the phase plug, while it was playing, & handed it to me, then put it back in.

sound quality was, well, underwhelming.
pretty cool looking, but not really all it's cracked up to be...
better than open baffle though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.