Fullrange, are you guys kidding yourselves?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rabbitz said:
. . .Yes, horns and such do take much more to design and tweak but it's still an enclosure where physics still rules.

No problem. There's a handy spray for that, kind of like deoxit, but much different (click picture).

Attachments

• dephysix.jpg
    dephysix.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 360
rabbitz said:
Huh? Now go back and read my post properly and get it in perspective. It was a compliment for FR speakers and not to put down guys that have spent years learning..... you should know that and don't make out I meant otherwise.

Afraid it did come across like that. If you are concerned over misinterpretation, the onus is upon you to make your post / meaning completely clear. We are not mind readers. Oh yes -one other thing, and in an entirely friendly spirit: don't tell me what to do again, OK?

What I was talking about was the general comments that come through where a lot of FR builders are insecure with crossover design and their implications. FR is an easier option, more economical for those plus a large portion here build and do not design. The designing is done by a minority and built by the others that do not have or want the necessary design skills.

Fair enough, although it's still something of a generalisation. If you'd said that in the first place, it might've saved you some time.

Those that do kick off designing their own, would not start off with a TL or horn.

Again, I hate to disagree, but that's exactly what I did. I started out with TLs & QWRs, and only later branched into other, notionally 'simpler' cabinets, as well as horns, although admittedly, I doubt many other people do that.

Yes, horns and such do take much more to design and tweak but it's still an enclosure where physics still rules.

Did anyone suggest otherwise?

rcdaniel said:

Pano' (and P10, Inclined' etc.), I think I am with you on this one. I also find most tweeters phony and distracting... often irritating and occasionally painful. I find I am quite sensitive to the way upper mids are reproduced, tho that is something else altogether...

same here with the tweeter and upper mids. i'm glad I have tone controls; for the past few years I've found I enjoy the sound better if i turn the treble down (and as it happens, bass too) on both of my systems. otherwise it sounds fake, like someone jacked them up.

I've never heard a fullrange system, but this thread makes me think I might like em.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
rcdaniel said:
What is nice to know is I am not the only person out there that has similar thoughts/feelings.

Indeed! Maybe we need to start a club. =)

Just to elaborate.

Even when I don't find the top harsh, it often sounds fake. It may sound "good" or "fun" or "Hi-Fi" but still fake. That can be from CD, USB, tape or vinyl. The harsh stuff is usually from digital sources, but not always. (Bad DACs play a large role in this.)

I could never hear super high. Not one of the guys who can hear dog whistles and ultrasonic alarms, so I don't know why my "trouble with treble". But what most people like, I find too much and artificial sounding.

Interesting subject.....

Evaas:

I've never heard a fullrange system, but this thread makes me think I might like em.

I have only heard systems of moderate, er, or worse quality, yet even they seem provide a different perspective - and elicited some meaning from music - that my main system (Metaxas amplifiers and Ambience Ribbons) misses. So, I am thinking that FR drivers may be a real option, providing I can find some with no trace of midrange glare; something with the frequency response of my ESW9 headphones with greater resolution (esp. in the bass) and improved soft-loud dynamics from top to bottom and I would be set for a good long time. I am like a dog chasing its tail at times, but Feastrex or SEAS Exotic may be in my future (yes, different 'styles' of driver).

pano':

Even when I don't find the top harsh, it often sounds fake. It may sound "good" or "fun" or "Hi-Fi" but still fake.

Agreed again, for the most part; there are probably some exceptions, tho this would tend to be for electronic music, so... The Mark Wieczorek theory could explain the 'fake' thing, in part. Of course, his is only one possible, probably incomplete, view. Perhaps speakers are the root-cause (entirely), but they seem to provide a means of ameliorating the symptoms? Again, I am not sure - I don't really do the audiophile Ix thing.

Nelson:

These seem to be typical sentiments of people who have listened to a lot over a long time. I love deep bottom end and extreme highs, but only in moderation.

Thanks Nelson. I guess I have, mainly thru my own system and infrequently that of one or two other friends. I also agree on the bass and treble in moderation... I do love to crank the Presets on a system with solid bass and extended highs that nails the temporal aspects of music reproduction - I am exhausted by the end, but what a ride! After that I need a long nap ;)

Merry Christmas to you all... and a very Festive Season. Have fun and be safe.

Heh, I expected all kinds of '12khz what'r you nuts/you're missing so much/you're using the wrong equip/ etc!

Good to hear there are some people in this camp.

People are right on, imo, with thinking the ultra-high is 'artificial'. When I listen to music (live, not recorded) I could swear 95% of the information is in the realm of, say 40hz to 10khz. (feel free to correct me on this if needed). No doubt there is substantial information outside of this, but there must be some reason I gave up the helper tweeters and gave up the sub over time. It just wasn't 'real'.

It's a tough thing to describe musical preferences when no two human snowflakes are alike.

InclinedPlane said:
I could swear 95% of the information is in the realm of, say 40hz to 10khz. (feel free to correct me on this if needed).

I think it was the late Paul Klipsch who said
"The midrange is where we live."

I would agree to some extent. Homogeneity in the
broadband telephony range is most important to me.

The upper and lower ends of the band are important too to have
a realistic listening experience, but the ends have to be realized
in a way not to disturb that homogeneity.

This is why i feel that fullrange is a serious option to achieve
high end. Crossing to a well matched subwoofer seems more
easy IMO than integration of a tweeter, even a supertweeter.

If polar distribution pattern and rolloff of a given fullranger is
smooth in the highs, i would prefer equalization instead of
adding a tweeter.

Just an opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.