Fostex's new Fe103 Sol 8 50th anniversary Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Chris came over late this afternoon and we listened to the FE103 SOL. This is really quite a good driver. Well worth the $30 over a pair of stock FE103En.

(in the FH3)

They are a very enjouable driver. Perhaps a little bit coloured but in a pleasant way. Top end could be descrived as vintage, somewhat rolled off. Very smooth. Bass a bit fat but quite extended (a lot of tuning possible with the FH3 -- 20g below the driver. Imaging is quite good for a stock driver, i'd set it only a little behind the A7.3 and the SS 10F. I expect this aspect will improve with EnABL treatment.

Definitely a candidate for consideration.

Next we will compare it to the FF105wk (actually FF105wKeN, we have no stock drivers)

dave

Ya, as Dave noted above - very nice little driver - a bit of a "vintage" (dry / soft) top end perhaps, when compared to say the FF series, or Alpair7.3, but if I may be permitted a subjective observation, they were very organic and involving.

We had these things sitting in boxes for months, and for some reason couldn't get excited about trying them out - that was a big mistake. At $30 a piece more than the stock 103s, and $25 less than the 10F/8424, they certainly should be on an inveterate builder's short list.

- a bit of a "vintage" (dry / soft) top end perhaps, when compared to say the FF series, or Alpair7.3, but if I may be permitted a subjective observation, they were very organic and involving.

Hmmm... wish I could give these drivers a listen. The description kind of reminds of the CHP-70 gen1, which I like to think as MA with a touch of Fostex (and it was primarily aimed at the Japanese market)... but since I haven't heard the FE103 SOL this would be idle speculation from my side. :)

if my characterization of the 103SOL's top end seemed unfavorable, that was certainly not the intent.

BTW, if not mentioned, they were driven by the delightful ACA monoblocks - now if there were a 15W or so version of those little sweethearts available as a reasonably priced kit, I'd be all over it.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
We already have a Weiner with TPA 3118 ... i was waiting for one that was designed from scratch with all the good bits. Haven't heard it yet, but i'd bet on the ACA.

dave

If you indeed have the Wiener 3118 designed by gmarsh of diyAudio - that IS the best amp with all the good bits. It's up to you to put nice caps, inductors, etc. but it has the pads for all that built in. The one mod that people report on sending this amp over the top is to use Cinemag input transformers to take advantage of the TPA's naturally balanced input mode.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/269855-wiener-tpa3118-amplifier-card.html

Pete - considering the 50yr lifespan of the driver we're now calling the FE103

Is this the first iteration do you know?

Attachments

• IMG_4658.jpg
    IMG_4658.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 429
Next we will compare it to the FF105wk (actually FF105wKeN, we have no stock drivers)

dave

I CANT wait to hear your impression between the two!! :)

I've been itching to buy one or the other for the last two weeks and haven't been able to make up my mind. The FE103-SOL-8 is probably my current top choice, although the FF105WK tempts me.

From my understanding, modelling Fostex's recommended Reflex enclosure the FF105WK seems to offer slightly better extension, and the higher Xmax and power handing seem tempting to try and squeeze a little more bass and volume out of a very small enclosure as will be used as my main speakers for a while..... but ultimately I intend them for bedroom bookshelf speakers for near field and low volume listening... so if the FE103-SOL is a sweeter, more sensitive or revealing/imaging driver then that might swing me.

Ill try to hold off!! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.