Fostex's new Fe103 Sol 8 50th anniversary Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks planet10!

An interesting test that I did was to drive the FE103 and a 4 inch aluminum cone driver with tone bursts (Linkwitz cosine) in the range 200 Hz to 2 kHz while observing the output voltage of the measuring mike on an oscilloscope. The FE103 did a much better job at keeping the shape of the tone burst as it is at input, throughout the frequency range, than the aluminum cone driver.

-Pete

i've had the 55-1855, notreally in the same league as the Fostex.

dave

Apparently! Whichever engineer designed the FE103 really knew what he was doing, or maybe he just got lucky? Designing a driver is maybe like building a violin. To this day, I believe, there isn't any totally scientific understanding of what gives a violin a superb kind of sound.

By the way, what is music? Answer: mostly a sequence of tone bursts. So maybe more attention should be given to how drivers handle Linkwitz's tone bursts.

-Pete

Just spent my 1st week on the Sol (just discounnected them to listen to the Scanspeak 10F). The Sol's (in FH3) are quite pleasant, i am certainly happier with then than the stock FE103. Haven't yet had a chance to do a shoot-out (will need to get the FF105 back from Chris)

dave

Hi Dave,

How do you think they compared to 10F?
I remember 10F is kind of sweet.

Pete - considering the 50yr lifespan of the driver we're now calling the FE103, there's probably been more than one engineer involved. :D

I've yet to hear the SOLs, but my initial listening to the 10F in a very tiny ported box was less than exciting compared to the FF85WK. Another candidate to which the 10F could be compared would be the Alpair6 - for nearfield use, I kinda like the P version.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
FF85WK sounds more exciting because it is exciting. Drivers with level flat responses are rarely, if ever, described as 'exciting'.

The 10F/8424 in a very small ported box doesn't have bass? Is that a surprise? If you put the 10F in a properly designed BLH, or ML-TQWT, you would probably get pretty nice bass out of it (as much as any 36cm2 Sd driver from Fostex, the FE103 is 50.2cm2, and tough to compare bass generation from a full range unless each driver is in a cabinet specifically designed for that driver's TS parameters), although it really was designed to be a mid/full range, not to extract deep bass.

I have the FF105WK, and the size class of that is a whole different category than the 10F. It's like twice as big and 3x as heavy.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We will not be comparing the 10F to the FF85wk but to the fairly similarily priced FF85wKen ($170/matched pair vrs $190/random pr of 10F). We will not pre-judge until we have heard both.

The 10F will be lucky to hit 100 Hz in anything without active EQ.

The small box we did is the samealignment as the FF85wKeN boxes we will compare them to so bass potential will be similar.

At some point we will try the 10F in the Frugel-Horn Lite.

I do have to say that the little boxes are quite good, and with extension only to 130-140 Hz show how little bass is needed for a satisfying speaker. Before i make any more comments it is only fair to get some more hrs on them as they have been sitting for some time.

I will say that in this tiny box they are fantastic B$&# killers.

SS-10F-nScan-Ken.jpg

You can see the FF85wKeN (in uFonkenSET) that we will be comparing them behind on top of the stealthWoofers/FH3 deflectors.

dave

of course, and yes the 85's enclosure is at least twice the volume as the little cubes in question

I'm not a designer, and can't speak to how much "engineering" went into either of the enclosures in which I heard the ScanSpeaks - the cubes, and a PVC pipe TL

I guess I just like a driver / system with a bit more "personality" than I've yet heard from either the 10F or the Vifa . Both the 85and105s as well as several Mark Audio drivers, and one of the small TangBands do that for me. Could be my seriously damaged hearing and chronic tinnitus requires a little something extra in the upper mid and lower top end (3-8K), and it's probably totally gone by around 14K

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.