Fostex's new Fe103 Sol 8 50th anniversary Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone has done anything with this driver in terms of testing and listening? I was wondering if it is worth the extra money over the Fe103en driver's? I am looking for my next project to build? Thanks Mr. Daniel

Last edited:
This is an interesting driver. I noticed it is slightly hot rodded compared to the stock FE103EN. The anniversary version has a shorting ring and very flat impedance, and a slightly larger magnet (226g vs 193g). I'd guess the resolution is a little better.

Also, with that flat Z curve, it would be the perfect choice for a wideband midrange in a 3 way using true first order crossovers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
This is an interesting driver. I noticed it is slightly hot rodded compared to the stock FE103EN. The anniversary version has a shorting ring and very flat impedance, and a slightly larger magnet (226g vs 193g). I'd guess the resolution is a little better.

Also, with that flat Z curve, it would be the perfect choice for a wideband midrange in a 3 way using true first order crossovers.

Did I understand correctly that it has a surround that has less compression?

I have not heard it but it attracts me more than the FF105WK. May have to model it to see if it will fit in the FF105WK metronome.

Madisound appear to have some: The Madisound Speaker Store

Not sure whether the damper reference in the text is another way of saying 'we've changed the spider' or if they've added something extra. The copper plated pole-piece & inner magnet is welcome. Looks to me from the measures like it has the same resonance issue at ~2.2KHz that the standard 103En has; since the text suggests they've changed the paper mix, that's presumably either suspension or geometry related -the frequency suggests the latter; possibly a standing wave across the cone. Probably optimal about 10 - 15 degrees off axis to flatten out the lower - mid HF range. Nice enough little unit, & should appeal to those who love the 103 sound (a legion of them, esp. in Japan), or those who want a quasi-collector piece, given that it's a little bit of history.

Oh, to have the budget and nothing better to do, but design/build 'proof of concept' speakers! If the specs, response are reasonably accurate, then the 16 ohm version in particular appears to be designed specifically for a SET driven ~40 Hz compound horn and the 8 ohm for a ~matching impedance version.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.