Fostex's new Fe103 Sol 8 50th anniversary Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Fostex recommended enclosure from the spec sheet of 6.6L tuned to 73Hz dimensionally works for me size wise.

(for the 8 ohm driver)

Unlike many Fostex recommended boxes that isn't too bad. 5.7 at 78 looks better if you use a round vent.

Should work fine in a standard millSize box…. that might well be where ours end up

dave

Many thanks, I appreciate the help.

Please find attached plot with 5.7 @ 78Hz added in blue.

Attachments

• FE103SOL_02.png
    FE103SOL_02.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 407
Yes, i know that. The 3.6 L sim looks better than the 6.6. With a small speaker I'd rather have a tiny bump than a roll off that starts too high.

dave

Thanks . I am relatively new to this all so I very much appreciate the thoughts.

The 5.7L as you suggested certainly seems flatter without the early roll off of the larger 6.6L cabinet. Which do you prefer the 5.7 or the 3.6L?

What are your thoughts about rear porting if the cabinet is close to the wall?
Reading some other threads I picked up on some suggestions that this can help a small box.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
With a round vent (not something i'd personally use) the 5.7 litre box. With the high ratio vents i use (they add an R to the vent) something a bit smaller that models with a slighly bigger bump, but the R knocks the bump down with the added benefit of greater tolerance to dynamic T/S changes.

Given that it fits into themillSize box we already have, i'd make it work in that.

dave

With a round vent (not something i'd personally use) the 5.7 litre box. With the high ratio vents i use (they add an R to the vent) something a bit smaller that models with a slighly bigger bump, but the R knocks the bump down with the added benefit of greater tolerance to dynamic T/S changes.

Given that it fits into themillSize box we already have, i'd make it work in that.

dave

High Tayio Vents? Like on the milleSize?

Would an Onken be advised as best sounding box for a FF105WK?

the "best" I've heard them in so far would be the Woden Vampyr; for a smaller "desk-top" size, I think the Falcon extends a bit deeper than a milli - but at the cost of a bit more size

edit: I should add that I'm not sure if "we" have tried them yet in the FH3 -it's hard to remember them all without a dance-card, but the 103SOL is happy there, I'd be surprised if the 105WK wasn't also

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think the Falcon extends a bit deeper than a milli - but at the cost of a bit more size

And perhaps some finesse. Given that we have yet to build and listen to a set that is just a guess.

There is a trapezoidal miniOnken in the works….

Note: a miniOnken is not by the official definition an Onken. Just the high ratio side vents.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.