Fostex FE103E...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Double mouth gives a different radiation pattern, analogous to an MTM configuration. Depends on the design really, but you also get a larger terminus for a given footprint, & improved soundstage depth / height. They always sound more efficient than a single-mouth type, even when in reality, they may, or may not be (again, depends on the design).

As for step loss, the link mostly covers it. Typically, they rarely sound as if they need any correction for step loss, although in some cases, Eq may be needed for unrelated issues (and again, depends on th...)

Scottmoose said:
Double mouth gives a different radiation pattern, analogous to an MTM configuration.

As for step loss, the link mostly covers it. Typically, they rarely sound as if they need any correction for step loss, although in some cases, Eq may be needed for unrelated issues (and again, depends on th...)

I was kind of thinking that it might have something to do with an MTM effect. It does make sense.

As for BSC, I'll see how far I can go without having to resort to it.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any plans for using PVC pipe as enclosures for the FE103E?

I guess these would kind of be like 1/4 WL TL's. I noticed while doing a Google search for "FE103 jp" that a lot of guys use them this way. I would like to do it just as a temp thing to get them the heck out of these stupid cardboard boxes. And where I work, I can get PVC dirt cheap all day long.

Any info on this please? I'm sure someone here knows enough about it.

I hate to admit this, but I'm having a little trouble figuring those formulas out, meaning I don't know how. :scratch:

I'm assuming they are saying that the overall length should be 85", so does that mean the enclosure should stand 42.5" tall, or is it the 33 x 2 or 49 x 2? How wide, deep and tall should it be?

Sorry, I've never dealt with these types of designs before, but after I do it once, I'll be fine.

Scottmoose said:
No worries. :)

BTW, if this is of any use / interest, there will shortly (when Dave has had chance to draw it up!) be a new double-vent MLQW cabinet called Vampyr for the 103 on the FH site.

Now that sounds interesting! I'll definitely keep an eye out for that one.

planet10 said:

This is short enuff that you should consider inverting it to get floor loading, or just make it straight like the gychang ones with the 3" TBs.

dave

If I inverted it, wouldn't that put the driver closer to the floor as well?

I was also wondering, what kind of bookshelf designs are out there? I was reading in one of the other threads on here about aperiodic TL's and aperiodic sealed designs. Would the FE103E work well in these types of designs? What about in a sealed enclosure with one of those Scan Speak aperiodic vents? If I were to build a bookshelf, I would like to do a wide baffle version with the driver off-center. This should lessen the BSC some if I understand that correctly.

Also, I just wanted to say that I added a Dayton C1500K kit subwoofer into the mix via another pair of Stout "Extreme" speaker cables running from the Sonic T-amp to the sub, then from the sub to the 103's. Of course, the 103's are still playing fullrange so I can't play the system any louder than before, and the sub is slightly limited on the lowest end due to the limited response of the Sonic amp. However, none of this is an issue as the 103's get plenty loud enough in my tiny 10 x 12 room and the sub still reaches low enough with normal everyday music.

The sub does an amazingly good job blending in with the little Fostex drivers, darn near seamlessly! It's located just right of center between the speakers. It keeps up just fine with the speed and pace of the 103's and is in no way boomy or overbearing. I have also toed the 103's in drastically so they cross roughly a foot in front of me. Off-axis response is excellent and the sound stage simply opened up a huge amount with them positioned this way.

Dare I say that this little setup is more engaging and fun to listen to than my main system?! There's definitely more detail available and vocals are just... well, you know. And all of this in cardboard boxes without any BSC! Although, I think the added bass offset's the lack of BSC a little, which is a good thing.

Anyway, any thoughts, comments etc, etc would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, I'm having a great deal of fun with these little 103's! :D

I might be repeating myself, but if you've already assumed that powered woofers will be part of the system, the Zigmahornet is definitely work consideration.

A drop dead simple build, and images like crazy.

Scott's Vampyr would also be worth looking at, when uncle Dave gets finished with the doodling.

Just a couple of really quick questions...

How does one figure out the series resistance for the FE103E driver?

Is it dependent on the size enclosure, tuning frequency, etc, etc?

Is the ONLY component involved a single resistor?

Is this a good idea or is BSC the best way to go?

BTW, I might just try a small bookshelf style like that, but sideways. Thanks!

I know I just asked a bunch of questions that haven't been answered yet, but I have done a little bit of Googling and...

Just for fun, I went out in the garage and scrounged up a couple of matching 2.49 ohm resistors and inserted them into the chain.

I have to admit, it seems to have helped! To what degree I don't know, but it does sound better. Unfortunately, everyone was in bed by the time I got the resistors installed, so I haven't had a chance to hear them at a good volume level yet, but from what I can tell, a LOT of that midrange "hash" as seemed to disappear. The top end still seems to be quite extended, open and airy.

If I get some time after work tomorrow, I'll do a good bit of listening and post another update.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.