Fostex FE103E...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:
The problem you get into, choosing the FE126, is that with the enclosures you need to get the best out of them, you start running into the same kinds of things that pooched Sachiko. Saburu is out for exactly the reason Sachiko is out. FH (a diy design inspired by the question "DIY design similar to hornshoppe?") would really like a pair of corners, and the height is fixed off the floor at a height you might find a little low (same applies to hornshoppe), leaving Austin A126. You still need at least a wall and you do need to get a bit further away.

Fonken is designed to work well as a nearfield monitor, and the 3.8 watt RH84 i primarily use with them, covers almost any sane level in my 24'x36' room (with a vault to 17'). The driver height above the ground is determined solely by the stands you use.

(my current personal preference too is towards the tonal balance of the FE127eN)

dave

Dave, since I will be completely redesigning my room just for the stereo, I'll be able to possibly use the shorter designs. I'm not too sure if it's possible to create bases to raise horns off the ground several inches, is it? Don't most corner horn designs use both the walls AND floor? If so, the extra base would be out of the question. But then again, I wouldn't need a lot of bass extension from the horns anyway as I would be using subs along with them from about 80-100Hz.

chrisb said:
Charles, please check your private e-mail

Hey Chris, I got the email and replied. I also enabled my email in the forum here.
;)

If you raise that type of blh/corner horn with a base, yes, be sure the base is a "false floor," that goes all the way to the corners, solid underneath, and tapers off in front as an extension of the horn mouth.
may well be more work than it's worth?

The raising the front may work.
If you stay the same distance from the speaker all the same time; like sit down & listen.
If you're in different distances from the speaker, it will be too high, or too low.
So if you move around, it gets kinda wierd sounding, if you're sensitive to that kinda thing.
I've had a pair of austins in the shop for the last couple weeks, & angled them, 'cuz I'm standing there instead of sitting.
But also moving around the whole room...

(doesn't apply to normal, sitting conditions, with speakers with ear-level drivers).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chops said:
I'm actually looking at the Austin A126 right now as it's taller with the driver center around 36".

Also, is there any information on possible flat packs? Just curious.

No flat-paks yet. Cost of shipping this much sliced & diced to FL gives you lots of lattitude to "bribe" a local (est at least 20 cases of beer -- what does beer cost in FL?)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.