ELEKIT TU-8550 PRE-AMPLIFIER

fini
Ele 8550-2.jpg
shed up the TU-8550 today, after doing all the PCB assemblies (about 4 hours) it takes an hour to put them in the chassis,
install the tubes, and put the cover on. I'll be doing the voltage checks and actual listening tests this weekend.
It's a very nice package, a lot more classy looking than some other Elekit's, nice faceplate and compact size.
Looking at the circuit diagram, any real audio improvements will come from tube selection and output coupling caps.
I've gone midrange using EVO oil output caps at $16 each rather than the stock $1 Panasonics, I personally think (IMHO) that
going all the way to Mundorf Supreme silver-oil ($59 each) or Vcaps is overkill. The carbon film resistors and the ALPS pot will be the ultimate
limiting factors (I'm NOT a fan of conductive plastic ALPs pots). I used JJ ECC83S (stock) but upgraded the 12AU7s to some NOS RCA clear tops
that I had (mil-spec 6680/12AU7).
I'm guessing now but the weekend will tell the truth, this should compare sonically with the Tubes4HiFi SP10 which is 1/3 the price and includes
a nice remote control selector and motorized ALPs pot, and already assembled/tested/warrantied. The SP10 really should cost more like $1000
compared to anything else.
Of course the SP14 is in a entirely different league, easily comparable to just about any $5000+ preamp available. Not my opinion,
having sold over 1000 of these now in the past ten years, this is what my customers are telling me. Almost all users and me included haven't heard
any preamp at any price that compares sonically. Only saying that because you asked.
On another note, last year I researched 300B amplifiers for a customer, and wound up with the Elekit TU-8900. Of ALL the various 300B kits
available, I would have to say this is the very best one. And the styling is a perfect match for this TU-8550 preamp.
Ele 8550-2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Very beautiful in person. Cant say much as this has 2hrs playback time, but it is dead silent to me (well, on very insenstive speakers). Soon I will have a nice Brazilian pre (and kt88 monoblocks) to compare with the 8550 and 8900. The pre is using mundorf silver supreme and a few other upgrades, build by one of the best builder/designer in the country (well, at least from my knowledge, Im no expert)
Imagem do WhatsApp de 2023-01-22 à(s) 23.01.38.jpg

I finally completed my 8550 built and burn-in(100hrs)! It sounds pretty great in combo with my TU-8900, though I think the Teflon/Tin caps and the AN resistors could use a bit more burn time.

I ended up upgrading a lot of parts:
  • Audio Note Kaisei polar caps in most locations
  • Audio Note Non-Magnetic Tantalum / Niobium resistors in most places, Takman REY and Vishay Zfoil for some odd values or non-signal path
  • Jupiter Ratio for the Phono Caps / Solen S3Q Teflon for Amp side Caps + Mundorf Mcap ZN
  • Pure silver wire, replacing jumpers
  • Amtrans Silver-Plated Ceramic Tube Sockets
  • NOS Telefunken 12AX7 / 12AU7 in Pre and Phono sides (though I'll probably switch to gold lion for phono as they are on all the time regardless of using phono)
  • EMI shielding tape lining the top removable lid, MuMetal barrier between the transformer and PCB (not shown)
  • New all aluminum matching front knobs (got the same for the 8900 to match)
Next up, and the finishing touch... I will replace the janky power switch mechanism in the 8550 / 8900 with a capacitive button and AMB ε24 power switch driver circuit. The chassis has just enough room to fit it and a relay. The original switch mechanism in the 8900 is ok, but the one that came with my 8550 sticks constantly, and the depth of the button is different between the 8550/8900 when you have them stacked and looks a little odd.

Fun build overall, not as involved as the 8900, but makes a great buddy/stand for it ;)

1674540597039.png

1674540674899.png

Reactions: 3 users
I finally completed my 8550 built and burn-in(100hrs)! It sounds pretty great in combo with my TU-8900, though I think the Teflon/Tin caps and the AN resistors could use a bit more burn time.

I ended up upgrading a lot of parts:
  • Audio Note Kaisei polar caps in most locations
  • Audio Note Non-Magnetic Tantalum / Niobium resistors in most places, Takman REY and Vishay Zfoil for some odd values or non-signal path
  • Jupiter Ratio for the Phono Caps / Solen S3Q Teflon for Amp side Caps + Mundorf Mcap ZN
  • Pure silver wire, replacing jumpers
  • Amtrans Silver-Plated Ceramic Tube Sockets
  • NOS Telefunken 12AX7 / 12AU7 in Pre and Phono sides (though I'll probably switch to gold lion for phono as they are on all the time regardless of using phono)
  • EMI shielding tape lining the top removable lid, MuMetal barrier between the transformer and PCB (not shown)
  • New all aluminum matching front knobs (got the same for the 8900 to match)
Next up, and the finishing touch... I will replace the janky power switch mechanism in the 8550 / 8900 with a capacitive button and AMB ε24 power switch driver circuit. The chassis has just enough room to fit it and a relay. The original switch mechanism in the 8900 is ok, but the one that came with my 8550 sticks constantly, and the depth of the button is different between the 8550/8900 when you have them stacked and looks a little odd.

Fun build overall, not as involved as the 8900, but makes a great buddy/stand for it ;)

View attachment 1134117
View attachment 1134119
What did you use to cover the leeds for the Jupiter Ratio and the other capacitors?

Hi folks. So if we hook it up to a turntable, the TU-8550 has a maximum gain of 29 + 17 = 46dB? Do I have that right? Or is it just 29dB total? And this will probably work for most moving-magnet cartridges, but not MC cartridges, yes? (Depending on the rest of the system.)

How do people like the sound of this preamp? I like the way it looks and I have a good feeling about Elekit. Just want to make sure, as a newbie, that I know what I'm getting into...