ELEKIT TU-8550 PRE-AMPLIFIER

Perhaps the TU-8550 has better controls than the SV-Pre1616D but the Sunvalley preamp controls are just ok. The SV-Pre1616D (with the parts I have) degrades the sound of my TU-8600S so I’m upgrading parts in the hopes that the sound will improve.
I have the volume turned up all the way on the amp and rarely turn up the preamp above 9:00 and it’s hard to make incremental adjustments. Reason 1 to upgrade.
Reason two, according to my experiences and the research I’ve done, is that a good volume control (attenuator or potentiometer) can help the sound in general, especially at low levels. So it’s not just about being quiet. Regarding the balance control, the benefits of a good level control could be restricted by the balance so if I’m going to the trouble of upgrading the level control, I thought upgrading the balance would make sense - I just can’t find a quality balance control.
Most high end preamps use two mono line levels (I think because a stereo line level and stereo balance is less than ideal).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Victor. I’ll turn down the 8600 to 12:00
I’m not under the impression that issues with the sound are being caused by the controls of the preamp - I’m just trying to maximize the potential of the preamp. My sources/other components are not the issue. The sound is just cleaner going direct from the sources to the 8600. Which is not a surprise - adding more circuitry to the chain.

TU-8600S is not a poweramp. Please DO NOT TURN amp to MAX and control by your preamp.
Sound good or bad ..is not just the volume or balance control.. It also includes the other components in your system..

Good Day,

I have been following this post for a while and have seeen many comments on upgrading the volume pot. It can’t be done. When I purchased my kit I also ordered a TKD 4 channel pot to do just that. It was a little finicky to install ( had to mount it upside down and run leads to the pot) it definitely sounds better and controls the volume part perfectly, but the problem is with the gain control. TKD does warn that the pot will give you problems if used as a voltage divider and I think that’s what is going on in the gain stage. It’s only noticeable in the phono stage and it lowers the gain of it to almost usable. I ended up buying an outboard phono preamp (hagerman labs Cornet, same tube compliment as the Elekit) and have it plugged into a regular input. I’m torn on whether to re-install the Alps but all the gains in Uber expensive caps and telefunken tubes are rendered a waste of time once you notice how much of a bottle neck the alps is. Pitty because I bought this preamp for the dual outputs and the phono section. Anyways, just wanted to save other members from spending money on a different pot just to find out it won’t work.

Don’t get me wrong. The 8550 is a fine kit and way better than the 8500 (I have both). Not trying to beat up on Elekit. I had just noticed when comparing it in line with my 8600 the 8600 lost a little bit as compared to a source directly connected to it. This bothered me and was on a mission to correct that. Unfortunately, tinkering with the supplied volume pot isn’t really an option.

Good Day,

I have been following this post for a while and have seeen many comments on upgrading the volume pot. It can’t be done. When I purchased my kit I also ordered a TKD 4 channel pot to do just that. It was a little finicky to install ( had to mount it upside down and run leads to the pot) it definitely sounds better and controls the volume part perfectly, but the problem is with the gain control. TKD does warn that the pot will give you problems if used as a voltage divider and I think that’s what is going on in the gain stage. It’s only noticeable in the phono stage and it lowers the gain of it to almost usable. I ended up buying an outboard phono preamp (hagerman labs Cornet, same tube compliment as the Elekit) and have it plugged into a regular input. I’m torn on whether to re-install the Alps but all the gains in Uber expensive caps and telefunken tubes are rendered a waste of time once you notice how much of a bottle neck the alps is. Pitty because I bought this preamp for the dual outputs and the phono section. Anyways, just wanted to save other members from spending money on a different pot just to find out it won’t work.
Just curious, what is the different between TKD and the original pots so it cant be used in the gain stage?

It’s a strange phenomenon. I bought the exact replacement. 2 of them actually they were both TKD and I had the miniature version and the full sized almost the same size as the original. I forgot the model numbers at the moment but they were both 100k. I tried the miniature one first, then the full size. They both exhibited the same problem loss of gain in the phono section. I did notice also that with both pots I don’t get silence with the volume turned all the way down. It’s not noise or anything. Just you can still here your source if it’s still playing. That part doesn’t bother me because of the gains in transparency. Since I have an out board phono preamp, I’m probably going to disconnect the power going to the internal preamp in it. It would save on keeping tubes in it and may make the preamp side that I’m using all the better. The difference in the alps and the TKD is about the same improvement if you’ve done it on any of the other Elekit that even Victor recommends as an upgrade. As I said looking at the technical papers to the TKD and it states that you will have problems using it as a voltage divider, then it showed a schematic on correct and non-correct. It was a while ago when I looked it up. Since everything else should 100% work, it just doesn’t. I haven’t gotten deep into the schematic of the 8550 but some like a voltage divider sort of circuit in the gain plays havoc on them. Do remember it works 100% for everything else but the phono stage.

Yeah just a bit curious as I believe the original Alps is the same design with the TKD - with wiper. Not stepped with independent resistor (the higher end TKD).

I plan to use two dual gang potentiometer, with series resistor each. So I can adjust both volume and the gain stage. Will post the result later.

thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, interesting, let us know. I’ve dumped so much money into the volume gain issue. I’m leaving it where it is at the moment. I had been looking for that kind of solution but the 4 gang pots I was looking at where simply to big to even entertain the idea. You also don’t have that many choices either.

This is a really interesting addition. Would you drill an additional hole and knob?
I would think this could be very beneficial, especially if you’re running the preamp with something like the 8600
Yeah just a bit curious as I believe the original Alps is the same design with the TKD - with wiper. Not stepped with independent resistor (the higher end TKD).

I plan to use two dual gang potentiometer, with series resistor each. So I can adjust both volume and the gain stage. Will post the result later.

thanks.