Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Hi all,

Started reading this thread a while back and installed daphile on my old hp desktop.
Never tried anything like this before and frankly I was astonished how good it sounded. My DAC (LINN NUMERIK) plugged into a 'digital out' socket on the back of the hp and everything worked first time. I even got it to log on successfully to an old laptop running 'vista' for music storage on its 120Gig hard drive.

I realise this set up is probably not optimal, but now I know it all works very well I can think about getting a proper NAS drive of reasonable size.
Advice on which are the best ones would be appreciated here, also would a proper usb dac give better results than my NUMERIK which is only sp/dif? if so do you have any recommendations for one?

Finally, I'm just wondering what has happened to Kipeta, He's not been on here since around last September. But wherever you are Kipeta - Thank you for an excellent piece of software.

Kind Regards
Royville

would a proper usb dac give better results than my NUMERIK which is only sp/dif?

Not necessarily. USB and S/PDIF (electrical and optical) all have their strengths and weaknesses. The galvanic isolation provided by optical S/PDIF can be beneficial with some DACs and computers - optical USB is of course also an option.

I would not recommend going for I2S unless you really know what you are doing, ans it will restrict your choices in the future with regards to upgrading your DAC or computer. I am also not convinced I2S really provides any advantage.

Another compatible WiFi-USB Adapter

Hi,
for those looking for a compatible WiFi-USB Adapter:

I tried the WiFi Adapter N300 from Sitecom. Is cheap (12 Eu) and works without any problems. I tried it with 15.05-b180626-x86_64.iso and 15.06.-b072226-x86_64.iso software. Works flawlessly
Cheers
Sigi

Convolution with Daphile?

Hi,
is there somebody in the forum who would be able to incorporate in Daphile a comvolution engine. This would be a very nice improvement for all people who has problems with their room acoustics and would like to build room correction filters to minimize the room modes.

Cheers
Sigi

Guys, I don't actually use Daphile. On a "stock" LMS install I'd download the tgz and extract it to "/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Plugins". I suspect you'll need to get a compiled version of the brutefir binary from somewhere as well. ISTR, Daphile is built on Gentoo x86_64, so ideally that's what it would need to be built on. Maybe you guys interested in this sort of functionality, should ping kipeta and ask him to include this plugin in Daphile.