Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So, you think that 1 Ghz single core processor is enough..

I noticed that Daphile sounds same on every hardware, but I do not have much experience with Windows7 and foobar..

My Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz clocks down to 800Mhz and stays there, regardless of what format the music files are. Total system CPU utilization never exceeds 10% during playback, and all the files are coming across my wireless network, from my NAS.

So yes, CPU power is essentially meaningless.

Indeed. That is why subjective reports from other people are useless.

But even with just one person, often what you think you hear is not what you really hear (or, rather, the differences you hear is not caused by actual differences in the sound waves), so proper double blind listening is the only reliable measure.

True, but why measuring something you propably won't like? I don't think, there's an objective way to say: this one is better. It always is: this one sounds better to me.

Anyway, I compared Daphile to JRiver's Media Center and can't tell a difference. To me both sound the same. I played some FLAC (96/24) and also some mp3s and switched between both while listening.

True, but why measuring something you propably won't like? I don't think, there's an objective way to say: this one is better. It always is: this one sounds better to me.

I agree. But all too often we feel A sounds better than B (in a sighted listening) when there actually isn't any difference at all.

Anyway, I compared Daphile to JRiver's Media Center and can't tell a difference. To me both sound the same. I played some FLAC (96/24) and also some mp3s and switched between both while listening.
I have only compared linux-based players, and as long as there is no DSP operations involved, or buffer under-runs, they all sounded the same.

Hello,
I would tanks a lot Kipeta for Daphile ! a Great Man this guy :)

When I play a song with Daphile installed on HD, I've got a HD access frequency of about 0.66 Hz (flac files in 16bits44.1kHz) for all the reading. Any audio
file is on the Daphile HD. I'm surprised about this blinking cos I put the Streaming Buffer at 15Mo and Output Buffer to 54Mo in order to decompress in one
shoot the audio file. Witch HD was working at that time? may be both?

I just found out Daphile

I just wanted to leave a message regarding Daphile. Yesterday I was testing it and used a USB key with Daphile on my AOPEN minicomputer.
It took a while to obtain a IP # via LAN but after a few minutes it succeeded and I had remote access as described.
On the computer I normally run JRiver and Windows 8.

My Daphile istening results:
1. more air in the sound
2. more details
3. better details
4. a little less bass, but compact
5. in total it sounds like it is shifted upwards a little bit
In general I think I like the sound of Daphile more then JRiver, so congratulations Mr. Kipeta on the good results.

Peter

How to connect a NAS (QNAP) with NFS to Daphile

It took a while for me, to find out how to connect my QNAP TS259 NAS (with 1GB music!) to Daphile. I was looking on the internet and found a lot of scattered information. It also depends on which NAS you use. Because there's a little part to do on the NAS itself, which i will describe also:

1. you have to log in onto the NAS
2. Goto Network Services - Win/Mac.NFS
3. Goto tab page "NFS"
4. Mark "Activate NFS"
5. Apply/Enter and logout QNAP Nas
6. Login Daphile and goto Setting/Storage
7. Goto Network Drives and choose "Add new" of the kind "NFS Netw File System
8. Fill in the IP number of your NAS followed by "/"and the name of the folder
eg.: 192.168.150/music
9. Remember that also the folder music must be a shared folder in the NAS
10. To share a folder in the NAS one has to login go to the folder
11. Rightklick on Properties
12. Administrator (has default access) and everyone including the Daphile computer NFS Access Rights
13. Apply/Enter and Logout NAS
14. Restart Daphile...Daphile will scan the added NAS Music folder as a network Drive
15. After the startup of Daphile, you will see the music files on the NAS
16. Happy Listening

Peter