Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

First and foremost, kudos to Kipeta for developing Daphile. I've only just completed my music server and it's already clear that Daphile is exceptional.

The problem I'm having is that ripping CDs is taking considerably longer than expected; rip times of about 25 to 35 minutes seem to be the norm and I assume that's because my configuration could use some tweaking.

Somewhere in the thread above, someone noted that increasing the size of the read buffer speeds rip times. I've ordered another 2GB of memory (so I'll have 4GB in total) and am trying to understand how to adjust the read buffer (can't find it in the menus) and how to calculate the optimum allocation of 4GB of memory once the additional memory is installed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Unless you click "Save and Restart" after a change, it will be lost. Once saved, the change is retained. I save to my NAS and all works properly. Even with standard settings, I've never had a problem with reading from the NAS. If you have plenty of memory, you may wish to set a larger read buffer.

Tromperie:

Can you explain how to set a larger read buffer? I'm new at this and cannot find that setting in Daphile (or is it set in BIOS)? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott,

I don't know an awful lot about daphile myself, but maybe Tromperie was talking about the Stream buffer or Output buffer (or both). You can find these if you go to another pc on the network and connect to daphile, then go to settings screen,and select the 'Audio Devices' (directly under 'General'). There you should find those two settings.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards
Royville.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Royville:

Thank you for the suggestion. I thought the same thing and increased both the stream and output buffers for my DAC from the 3MB default size to 200MB apiece, but that hasn't resolved the problem. Rip times remain very long.

If anyone has another suggestion, I'd certainly appreciate hearing it.

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2000
Paid Member
While ripping, if possible, go to the Information "i" tab on the left. Look for Processor and see if the percentage of CPU use is high. If it is, maybe we can over-clock the CPU (not my favorite idea). This will require installing the small fan that come with the JET motherboard.

If it's still slow, even with more RAM and faster CPU, I'm not sure what is causing the problem. I read today that certain DVD/CD RWs can cause audio tracks to be read at a slower speed to keep mechanical noise down- Burst verses protected mode (I think). I know you'd tried at least 3 DVD/CD RWs, internal and external. Could they all run in protected mode? I don't know. It depends on the make and model.

Another option is to rip on a faster machine with EAC, Foobar2000 or other ripping software and move the folders into Daphile across the network. Depending on the OS doing the ripping, there's different ways to discover machines on the network. Macs and pretty easy and so are Windows machines. It's easier than it sounds, although I know your setup and it might not be your favorite thing to do since you have everything in one place already. Might be worth at least testing.

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I think protected vs burst is a function of the ripping software and not the DVD/CD RW, but the hardware could have a mode where it reads audio tracks slower.

Some drives are faster then others as well.

For instance my LG bluray drive reads cd-audio/dvd-video slower to be more quiet. Games are ok.

Also many drives will adjust speed if the disc is hard to read(very common for Lite-ON based drives), so maybe the Sims 3 is harder to read forcing the drive to run slower.
Dvd drive slow read [Solved] - DVD Writers - Storage

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Vince:

Here's the info page on boot-up:

System time: Mon Jul 6 17:15:30 EDT 2015
Daphile version: 15.02-b120952-x86_64
Kernel version: 3.18.7-gentoo
Boot drive: Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 7.8GB (sdf)
Free storage:
5.5GB (86%) DaphileData (sdf3)
2.9GB (100%) RAM Drive (tmpfs)
364GB (77%) MusicLibrary (sda1)
Network mode: Ethernet
IP address: 192.168.1.5 (DHCP)
MAC address: 00:30:18:C5:2B:B8
Wake-on-LAN: Supported
System load: 0.79 0.18 0.06
Free memory: 3860MB of total 3945MB
Temperature: T1=28.0°C, T2=27.0°C, T3=26.0°C, T4=26.8°C, T5=26.8°C
Uptime: 35 seconds

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Vince:

Grabbed while simultaneously ripping two CDs (your external drive is quite helpful; thanks!):

System status
System time: Mon Jul 6 18:45:42 EDT 2015
Daphile version: 15.02-b120952-x86_64
Kernel version: 3.18.7-gentoo
Boot drive: Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 7.8GB (sdf)
Free storage:
5.4GB (86%) DaphileData (sdf3)
2.6GB (100%) RAM Drive (tmpfs)
364GB (77%) MusicLibrary (sda1)
Network mode: Ethernet
IP address: 192.168.1.5 (DHCP)
MAC address: 00:30:18:C5:2B:B8
Wake-on-LAN: Supported
System load: 8.50 7.66 6.78
Free memory: 3149MB of total 3945MB
Temperature: T1=52.0°C, T2=52.0°C, T3=46.0°C, T4=26.8°C, T5=26.8°C
Uptime: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Whaddaya think?

Regards,
Scott

Tromperie:

Can you explain how to set a larger read buffer? I'm new at this and cannot find that setting in Daphile (or is it set in BIOS)? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

The subsequent response is correct; I was talking about the output buffer in relation to using a NAS as storage.

The CD read times is an interesting question. I have set to a safe read with three retries. If the CD is marked in anyway, reads do take a lot longer. Sometimes, more so lately, the disc isn't recognised so I use MP3Tag to add the tags. I highly recommend it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a confirmed working wireless solution that is in current production? I'm building another Daphile system using an HP small-form computer, and I could use a small PCI card or a wifi-USB adapter. I understand the reasons why Kipeta does not want to maintain a list of compatible hardware, but I'm not really in a position to keep buying things that don't work. ;-(

Thanks in advance for any suggestions - Pat