Babbelfish J PCBs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
I sure am:) Thanks for the kind offer, indeed. No need to hurry or stress your friend Oly. It seems that I have finally got control over my A-X's adjustment. With a little work and some luck they will be hooked up tomorrow:) One monoblock working right now.
Here is a pic of the 100 watt monoblocks to spice up this thread a little:D

Steen:cool:

I told ya before..........ugly!

make a 10W amp for Tanoys ;)
I must make decent one for 16 ohms RCA's hehe

Wow! I'm really impressed.
Dont be :) Usually I like to get things done, but these darn amps has been in the works for way too long now. I have had problems making them behave in a civilized manner. This morning, my mate Magura called and asked: Are those A-X's up and running yet? Nope, I said. He jumped on the train and arriving at my place, we did some detective work together over the course of the day. Voila, it works;)
Since he is a really nice guy to talk to, we had a load of fun too.
I have to announce this in public: Magura is a genious:cool: And I mean it. After some trial back and forth he made a suggestion I had never thought of. What did the trick? Well we upped the source resistor value a little bit, and all of a sudden the amp behaved. Man I was puzzled and still am:xeye:

Magura-your wakoo friend with all those veeeeeeeeeeerrrrrry ugly electromechanicall thingies and gadgets................
Excactly:) His homemade attenuator weighs more than the average poweramp. Solid silver contacts and so on. I never saw hifi gear like his. The poweramp he is making is gonna weigh in at 100 kg. I dont think he will re-decorate the livingroom very often after putting that amp in place.
Well have a look at his things here:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/magura
Just check out those bolts he made for mounting the heatsinks:eek: I can tell you they are gourgous. Fully machined;)
Well the guy is amazing, and he has the possibilty to make those things and what is just as important, he has the skill's and the drive to do it:cool:
You can see where I got my heatsinks from:D
So, tell us about the bass quality from those amazing looking AXs.
I will, when I have finished the other monoblock and had a decent listen:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Lovan said:
Hello

What kind of PSU would I need to run a pair of these Babelfish J's?
Would a +-18VAC 800VA with 0.2F per rail be adequate?
Maybe CRC? What value for R?

Looking forward to building these :)

/Niclas

go to www.duncanamps.com and download PSUd for free;
after that,you wouldn't ask anyone else that type of Q........

btw-18 V looks little low,but perfectly OK ........who needs to squeeze last watt from any amp.........except steen :devilr:
and-you'll need CLC with lowish AC voltage of xformer

Zen Mod said:

go to www.duncanamps.com and download PSUd for free;
after that,you wouldn't ask anyone else that type of Q........

btw-18 V looks little low,but perfectly OK ........who needs to squeeze last watt from any amp.........except steen :devilr:
and-you'll need CLC with lowish AC voltage of xformer

If I would have got decent answers from PSUd I wouldn't have asked the question ;)

Nearest value above 18VAC is 30 :hot:
What's the highest limit I can use?

Thanks for answering :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: J-Fets and output devices

cviller said:
Could I use 2sj103 instead of 109? They seem to have similar specs except for the fact that they are not dual.

transconductance is not the same ;
unfortunately,in favor of 2SJ109

How much is the max voltage drop on each of the output mosfets? I'm considering using irfz34 (60V/30A).

its OK......just check input capacitance......you need it in ballpark what IRFP150 have

Re: Re: J-Fets and output devices

Zen Mod said:

transconductance is not the same ;
unfortunately,in favor of 2SJ109

Thanks for checking this out for me!

I think I might be lucky to get some 2sj109's by mail. :D
But wouldn't it be possible to parallel 2x4 2sj103 and get something roughly similar?

its OK......just check input capacitance......you need it in ballpark what IRFP150 have

Cool! It is 680pF, so I should be relatively safe. I might pair them like in Aleph 3.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.