Babbelfish J PCBs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It worked right away:D (Again!) 1 hour warm-up followed by adjustment, and the amp behaves very well. Sounds pretty good on the crappy testspeakers too:D Here you go, blue headlight;)
The DC behaviour was pretty scaring with no load. Connecting a speaker made the amp calm down. With no load it managed almost 3 volts (on turn-off):eek: With a speaker connected Its adjusted for very close to 0V offset. I actually adjusted it for 10mV plus.

Steen:cool:

Attachments

• babel_front.jpg
    babel_front.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 732
One more shot from the rear this time, just in case anyone cares. What the hoot, who does really:xeye: Anyways, I didnt use balanced inputs for this amp since it will most likely be driven by my NS10.
You will notice that heatsink-compound is squeezed out between the heatsinks, I wanted to take full advantage off the frontheatsinks dissipation also. You will also notice that I am using fat machined brass feet:)
On another note, I am ******:D I planned to build 2 poweramps this winter, but now they are both finished allready:( What am I to do for the rest of this non-excisting winter:confused:
I am connecting the Aleph-J Wannabe to the mainsystem right now and a sound-report will follow:)

Attachments

• babel_rear.jpg
    babel_rear.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 716
Grumpy Jacco
Isnt that the guy known as the Flying Dutchman:D :D Did you see the new Bond movie?? It's really good! Just went to see it and I am still impressed, wow!! It was almost as reading the books all over;)
Okay back on track, I am a bit hmmmm, in trouble!! I have heard 2 of my favourite lp's and they never sounded better! That Aleph-J Wannabe is simply just too good!! I am stunned, build one for yourself if you want to know!! The topend is simply just so stretched out and sweet sounding detailed, like you wouldnt believe! I didnt listen to my ZenV9 for a while, but offhand I bet the Aleph-J clone is at least on par in the topend and it has 10 more watts to rock your speakers. I am happy:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
Isnt that the guy known as the Flying Dutchman:D :D Did you see the new Bond movie?? It's really good! Just went to see it and I am still impressed, wow!! It was almost as reading the books all over;)
Okay back on track, I am a bit hmmmm, in trouble!! I have heard 2 of my favourite lp's and they never sounded better! That Aleph-J Wannabe is simply just too good!! I am stunned, build one for yourself if you want to know!! The topend is simply just so stretched out and sweet sounding detailed, like you wouldnt believe! I didnt listen to my ZenV9 for a while, but offhand I bet the Aleph-J clone is at least on par in the topend and it has 10 more watts to rock your speakers. I am happy:D

hehe
glad to hear all that praize to Papa ................. ;)

I told ya-even if I didn't hear A30 ever............ but -who is here Pass's teenager .......... :clown: , you certainly didn't have any doubts in his words how this is best ever Aleph.....

btw

...........build one for yourself if you want to know!!

I know that you didn't tell that to me .......even if I did not hear Babelfish in stereo (yet) , few hours of finall mono listening of breadboard variant on sorta VoT cab convinced me............

too short in time in last year ; I hope that next year will be better....if nothing else ,my preciouss Isa :snoopy: will start with kindergarten.........and then I'll have more time for my gadgets

I feel divided because of that.....ya know- she is still small,and we have ,hm,pretty quality time together :xeye:

I can't say that I miss electronics in amount I have it in times before a kidoe ;)

but your boyz are pretty big now ;)

sorry for looooong mambling jumbling......... :clown:

but your boyz are pretty big now
Yep, thats why I have time to nurse my hobby:D Especially in the winter! When spring comes around its time to go fishing again!! My boys are waiting for the fine spring weather:)
Choky, thanks a lot for publishing this schematic, ofcourse thanks to Nelson Pass also for starting this whole idea:D I have to admit it, its the best sounding amp that I have ever heard!! Cant beleive I had to say that, but thats how it is!!!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
I changed the source resistors to 0,33r how did you guess that:D
Steen:)

hehe

I also used a trafo of 2x18Volts. I am sure your hot resistors are caused by too high rails;)

??
I didn't have hot resistors anywhere ......... at least not too hot :cool:

Isadore is the most important thing:) I might even take the amp to you:D

we agree about importance.......my thoughts are often related to things well spotted on your fishing pictures......proud Papa and bunch of funny boys ;) it's privilege to know ppl which are well aware what's most important and well aware how life can be good,if we embrace every new day with care and joy .......:yummy: :spin:

regarding bringing amp to me ............:clown: we both have more than enough amps...........haha,and we will not stop because of that.......

cheers !

I'm glad that you're satisfied with my translation

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steen:

as I wrote before-check what AC gain you have now and adjust it for your liking;
also-try amp without cap in feedback (in series with 22K to ground);
that will need maybe slight adjustment of offset.......but-your ears will decide is it worth the hassle

I can't see from your pictures -did you couple thermally two little bjts in input CCS?

addendum - I decide to change to 0R33 just for relaxing few param's ........you know - 2A x 0R33 is pretty close to Vbe voltage ;) , in any case closer than 2A x 0R22 .....

and -if you try it with balanced input,they'll shine even more :devilr:

as Papa always sezzzzzz : :cool:

edit:

ps.

seems that you are ready now for toobz and some efficient spks :Popworm:

did you couple thermally two little bjts in input CCS?
Yes I put a strip on them, like on the pic's of your boards posted earlier. I will have a look at the AC gain and maybe
make a balanced input. I am considering to modify my Aleph 5 with a Toshiba J-fet input diff. like the Babelfish. Man, that would be great:)
Congratulations
Thanks Babowana:) I listen to soul, blues and rock music mostly. A little Jazz also. I also enjoy acoustic music if its well recorded. If you know the album "Friday night in San Fransisco" with Al DiMeola, John Mclaughlin and Paco DeLucia, you know what I mean:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
....I am considering to modify my Aleph 5 with a Toshiba J-fet input diff. like the Babelfish. ............

how many mosfets in output you use for Babelfish ,and which types?

and-how many of them you have in A5?

on the second thought........besides number of gates you can drive with ~ 5mA through half of 2SJ109,it's also important what's PSU voltage in A5............little work must be done there to make little jfet critters safe of excessive voltage

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Balanced input on Babbelfish

Michael Mik said:
Hi Zen Mod,
I finally got the J109´s (the price sticker is like to buy a treasure), so there is not excuse to start..:)))
May be you can show me and the others to convert your creation to a balanced input..
thanks
Michael

try like this........it was somewhere in the thread

edit:

22K and 4U7 you see on pic are allready part of feedback net;

figure it how you'll implement this,just because in moment of designing pcbs we didn't think about bal input............some trace cutting where 4U7 is soldered to ground can make nice pad for additionall wire to XLR

Attachments

• balbabelfish.jpg
    balbabelfish.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 906
Zen 9 vs babbelfish

steenoe,

Hey that is great you got the babbelfish up and running. I am curious to see the Zv9 compared to the babbelfish.

If the babbelfish is like my Aleph Jfet version, I think you will not need to build any other amp than the babbelfish?

Although, I think the Aleph 5 may be too high of a rail voltage for the jfet front end?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but those jfets can usually only handle 30 volts?

Good to hear you got the babbelfish working. I would like to build that also in the summer to compare to my Aleph jfet version.

School is almost out. Monday is my final and then I plan on finishing my Aleph 30 jfet and Aleph 3 jfet before I start school again in about 3 weeks.

Regards, Bill

how many mosfets in output you use for Babelfish ,and which types?
I only use 2 IRFP240's total per side in the Babbelfish. The Aleph 5 uses 3 parallel devices. 6 total per side and it runs from a +/-35v supply.

If the babbelfish is like my Aleph Jfet version, I think you will not need to build any other amp than the babbelfish?
Hi Bill, yeah it was great to hear it sounds just as great as expected:) NP said it was the best sounding Aleph and I agree. I may not need to build another amp, but somehow I think that I cant help making a few more..... Instead of modifying the Aleph 5, I think I will wait for either an X'd Babbelfish or a higher powered Lovoltech-based amp. If lucky enough, we might see both, which would be really nice.

Wich music (on LP or CD) are you listening?
Babowana; forgot to add that I listen to LP's as much as possible, but listen to CD's as well.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
..................I only use 2 IRFP240's total per side in the Babbelfish. The Aleph 5 uses 3 parallel devices. 6 total per side and it runs from a +/-35v supply. ................

3 pairs , or to be more precise , 3 gates looks as little too much for tiny 109.

2 pieces of IRF150N instead of 3 pieces of any other can be driven anyway....

voltage problem can be solved with any voltage shifter......zenners ,led string or any other sort.......so -few leds between 109 and minus leg .....

Instead of modifying the Aleph 5, I think I will wait for either an X'd Babbelfish or a higher powered Lovoltech-based amp. If lucky enough, we might see both, which would be really nice.

I send ya this already?

not tested ,yet.........but I have no doubts ,even if some resistor values are really of top of my head

Attachments

• babelfish x.gif
    babelfish x.gif
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,084
I send ya this already?
Yep and it looks great.
That should do. If you can persuade Oly to produce one of his superb board-layout's and post a PDF, that would be pretty nice....;) No need to hurry though, the Babbelfish is very good:cool:
Surprised after having learned so many Jazz bars in Copenhagen
Copenhagen is pretty famous for its jazz society. Especially Jazzhus Montmartre was very popular in the 60's and 70's, but I think it was closed when you were there. It has later re-opened. Many famous artist's performed there.
http://www.denmark.dk/portal/page?_pageid=374,478059&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.