• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a Pioneer DV-434 and now it sounds better without capacitors. It was indeed the CD player causing a problem, some sort of noise. It also - now that I know - had a huge lack of information getting through. This is pretty night and day, and my setup sounded good before but now my friend with all his Bel Canto 3 stuff can just whimper more since my setup does all his does and more now.

This really relates back to earlier. I guess that if there is some stuff getting into the your DAC via CD player it will translate to the RCA, whatever it was or was not.

Plus no coiling digital cable, good god does that matter!

Hi Peter,

I've seen in many of your amplifiers/projects that you have chassis bolts going into wood. How does the threading hold in the wood? Is it a wood screw you use? Or do you insert a metal cylinder with threading inside into a hole in the wood? Specifically, how do you attach the wooden sides of the Patek Amp v2 (Image)? Any close up pictures? :)

(Also, in your USB DAC enclosure: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/149601-audiosector-usb-dac-4.html#post2063701)

My integrated 3875 and premium DAC build

Some pics of the completed integrated LM3875 and premium NOS DAC. Pretty much identical to Peter's. I wanted to know what it sounded like. I made the chassis from scratch as it would have cost too much to post to the UK (would have been so much easier to have paid the money!)

GCAmp1sml.jpg

GCAmp2sml.jpg

GCAmp8sml.jpg

Sound? I have had it running non stop for week to settle. Recently bought a Squeezebox Duet to stream WAVs to the integrated. This replaces a £1000 CDP with valve output and a SET I built specifically for my single driver speakers.

The Audio0Sector 3875/DAC is stunning. Actually it is the best sounding hifi that I have ever heard at any price! Effortless, open, deep but for me most importantly I have stopped analysing the sound. It sounds so natural and tangible that with the lights out I can be there. The walls and floor disappear.

Thanks and all credit goes to Peter for his superb design and professional helpful manner.

I am one happy customer!

Some pics of the completed integrated LM3875 and premium NOS DAC. Pretty much identical to Peter's. I wanted to know what it sounded like. I made the chassis from scratch as it would have cost too much to post to the UK (would have been so much easier to have paid the money!)

Sound? I have had it running non stop for week to settle. Recently bought a Squeezebox Duet to stream WAVs to the integrated. This replaces a £1000 CDP with valve output and a SET I built specifically for my single driver speakers.

The Audio0Sector 3875/DAC is stunning. Actually it is the best sounding hifi that I have ever heard at any price! Effortless, open, deep but for me most importantly I have stopped analysing the sound. It sounds so natural and tangible that with the lights out I can be there. The walls and floor disappear.

Thanks and all credit goes to Peter for his superb design and professional helpful manner.

I am one happy customer!

Have his phonostage in there too?

Nice build, super clean like Peter's work.

Ulf
Not got a schematic for the optical as I have done it here but Peter has one for the optical module. Mine amp prioritises the coax, which is wired direct to the DAC's input (as if it was the only S/PDIF) and the optical is wired into an on/on switch (using only 4 of the 6 poles). It can be switched on or "off" which basically cuts power by going to the empty part of the switch, enabling the coax to be heard.
HTH

I use machine screws in Patek (10-32). Before threading the wood, I soak the hole with crazy glue which adds durability.

In a DAC I use wood screws.

Peter, when you said "threading the wood", does it mean that you tapped the wood? I am particularly interested in how you fixed the two screws in the image attached here. The two screws in the image are wood screws? Or do you mean that you use wood screws at the side panel to attach the wood (not the ones shown by arrows in the attached pic)? I happen to you the same wood (wenge) for my chassis!

Attachments

• wood-screws.jpg
    wood-screws.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,329
Peter have you noticed any affect to changing capacitors mounted on the 3875 chip boards and dampening factor? I am using some fostex based speakers and find the noise slightly overbearing and perhaps a touch on the flat side dynamics wise. I am thinking about seeing what I can do to experiment a little. Also what pins do you put a 330pf capacitor on if you get FM again? I now live next to a different radio station....

Hi Peter
I need to build a 100w p/c amplifier to drive my 8 ohm speakers.
I was looking at various options and have come to the conclusion that LM4780 bridging would solve my problem, in the least no of parts.

But going through the application notes/overture design guide, i have realised that heat would be one major concern and as i live in India the ambient temp is also not close to 25C throughout the year. so here are my queries

1. How much power for an 8 ohms load, would one of your boards(having one 4780) provide, in mono config?
2 . If i bridge the boards how much power should i expect realistically,for say +-28V PS, keeping in mind the heat issues?
3. Will a BPA design as seen here be possible using your boards.

regards
anurag

View attachment 170420

View attachment 170421

View attachment 170422

I am one happy customer!

Really nice job Martin!

Peter,

Just a quick note to let you know my LM3875 kit with the Case you offered is still going
strong since April of 2004! along with the NOS DAC from April of 2005.

They both get every day use in the media room driving my B&W 805's.

Excellent sound and very durable! Thanks for all of your excellent work and sharing your
expertise with all of us over the years.

(now i need to order a USB DAC!)

-m.

Peter,

Just a quick note to let you know my LM3875 kit with the Case you offered is still going
strong since April of 2004! along with the NOS DAC from April of 2005.

They both get every day use in the media room driving my B&W 805's.

Excellent sound and very durable! Thanks for all of your excellent work and sharing your
expertise with all of us over the years.

I can definately agree to that! My INT-1 amp is on every day and sounds beautiful with my Focal Micro Utopia Be. The NOS DAC is not used that much since I use the Linn Majik DS dynamic. I like the sound of that device more.

Still.. the Integrated-amp is sounding great and never had a problem!
I think I have it since 2007, and only unplugged during some holidays when I am out of the country.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.