• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Peter I did something recently... I am starting to wonder what is going on and maybe you have an answer.

I am using your DAC and amp kits. Between them are two BJ RCA Cables (damn they are nice for the price, better than I can put together for the price), and a stepped attenuator (10k) made with dales.

I put in my IAR Wondercaps bypassed by 4.7uf BG pre-volume control. I did as an experiment because in the past the capacitors have made things sound better. It happened again, and with a little bit of playback... everything is cleared up, the sound is nicer on my ears, imaging, you name it, better. I can not describe anything that is not better now.

What I am frustrated with is why this is... I am having such a hard time with this because your kits work great, I got good stuff in my system.

Could it be possible something is being fixed, some sort of noise, coming from my CD player? (old Adcom GCD-525 with a tray that has a mind of its own and further more often refuses burned CDs if it is warm at all) I am using a BJ Digital cable (6ft) between it and the DAC. Can there be some DC getting through that somehow is not caught early enough? I just do not know!

I have the bypass caps I thing wired in reverse on the IAR Wondercaps. I have 2.2kohm Rikens (because I am running really sensitive speakers, and I will say I prefer at least 1.2kohm over the 680ohm any day for sound, and prefer the Panny caps). DAC is 100% stock. There is no other information I can think of to tell you about.

DOS,

What value IAR Wonder caps did you use? :hypno2:

I bet you shifted the pole (-3dB) frequency down a bit and probably got a lower equivalent series resistance (ESR). The Dielectric is also different and probably better, although will pale in comparison to a good teflon or polyester/oil based cap.

BG caps are great, but they are not film caps, they just work great in this application where space is at a premium, hence Peter uses them.

See this article for more details:

Picking Capacitors by Walter Jung and Richard Marsh.

Best,
Anand.

P.S. Capacitors are a necessary evil. Although they have come a long, long way, most designers will still design for minimal capacitance in their circuits if possible.;)

P.S. Capacitors are a necessary evil. Although they have come a long, long way, most designers will still design for minimal capacitance in their circuits if possible.;)

If ur determined to remove caps from the signal path it can be done and for me once it's done it's hard to go back again - perhaps good teflon caps are quite transparent but every other "Audiophile" cap I tried, for my ears, compromised the sound.

I think just as you say destroyer, your caps are filtering out something that does not sound so good.

Well I just found unwinding my digital cable so there is zero over lap made for greatly improved quality. I have 6ft because my understanding is that shorter produced a feedback loop problem. I just ran it around the outside of my CD player.

There is still no understanding of the capacitor thing though!

I put in my IAR Wondercaps bypassed by 4.7uf BG pre-volume control. I did as an experiment because in the past the capacitors have made things sound better. It happened again, and with a little bit of playback... everything is cleared up, the sound is nicer on my ears, imaging, you name it, better. I can not describe anything that is not better now.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that adding Wondercaps improves the sound and you don't know why? As the names implies, they may be doing wonders in your setup ;)

Seriously though, you might just like their added signature in your particular system, nothing strange about it.

It's usually the initial reaction that adding bypass caps "improves" the sound with better focus, extended highs, imaging, but myself I'm very reluctant to play those tricks as usually there's price to pay, as you can read here (last post): http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/part...ypass-cap-auricap-russian-pio.html#post939009

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.