• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I originally did it just to make as best of a star pattern as possible. However I still get a little bit of noise that may not be FM and worry if there is any potential that there is a loop forming due to the way I have it wired.

A ground loop in the signal paths could lead to a FM pick up is something I seem to have read about.

The DAC can be set for either 115 or 230V with jumpers, picture below shows 230V setting (compatible with 240V as well).

Attachments

• jump.jpg
    jump.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 724
Had this dac for a few months now and am very pleased with it. Increased bass and things like bongo's and drum sticks hitting rims of drums just show through now. It takes awhile for it to burn in i think with Blackgates. Just one query can it use II2 or IS2 as sometimes referred to.

Hi, Sorry to hear that.

However, you are using previous generation board, with different traces layout and no jumpers marked in a bottom layer (you can see them in top layer though). So you should have consulted me before making any connections, as obviously that board is DIFFERENT than the one from my previous picture.

What you did was connecting live and neutral together and blowing the fuse, that's why no sound from a DAC.

With that board version, you need to jumper the OTHER two pads. If sourcing pcb mount fuse is problematic, use a regular fuse.

Last edited:
Okey, so I recieved my LM4780 dual mono premium kit, now everything is soldered together.

However when its hooked up to my preamp/dac its producing around 1.1VDC at the output, on both channels.

Without hooking it up and with inputs shorted I get 6.2mVDC on one ship and 4.7mVDC on the other. When measuring DC offset on the pre I get 2.3mVDC/3.3mVDC.

I hooked it up to a pair of shitty speakers, sounds good but it seems to be some HF noise present.

When I hook it up to my iPhone, bypassing the pre its totally noise free and the DC generated at the output is 11mVDC/0,1-0,8mVDC (to low to be measurable with my multimeter)

Lifting the earth solves nothing and gives no noticable change.

Would an AC coupling cap in series with input solve my problems when using it with my preamp?

Would an AC coupling cap in series with input solve my problems when using it with my preamp?

It would certainly reduce the offset, although most likely not to lowest value possible like you are getting with iPhone.

The amp offset is also dependent on impedance present at amp's input; if the source's output imp is very low, the offset is minimized as well.

As to the HF noise, try to install 300pF cap between pins 15-16 and 21-22 on LM4780, which would be a similar approach to what I recommended for LM3875: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audi...-kit-building-instructions-3.html#post1516522

Attachments

• 4780PackagePins1f.jpg
    4780PackagePins1f.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 611
It would certainly reduce the offset, although most likely not to lowest value possible like you are getting with iPhone.

The amp offset is also dependent on impedance present at amp's input; if the source's output imp is very low, the offset is minimized as well.

As to the HF noise, try to install 300pF cap between pins 15-16 and 21-22 on LM4780, which would be a similar approach to what I recommended for LM3875: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audi...-kit-building-instructions-3.html#post1516522

The Preamp used is the HLLY DMK-IV

I've not found any information regarding the output impedance of the preamp.

Is the 1VDC offset caused by the offset from the preamp, or is there anything else that's likely to cause this?

Is there more measurements that I can do to narrow down my troubleshooting?

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.