• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All those transformers buzz, you can control how much by placing the board, or DAC enclosure, on some soft support. The DAC needs approx 2-4 weeks for complete breaking in.

I had Benchmark DAC 1 for a while and preferred NOS. Also, ML360S fell short of the NOS DAC.

Peter,

So you mean EI transformers buzz but I've read that it is more efficiency than toroid. How big the buzz is in your DAC with bare wood platform?

HT

Peter,
I soldered in 200K Caddocks between in and out pins of my PEC 25K pot, and found improvements that you have mentioned. However, the pot is hyper-sensitive now, I just touch it and the volume increases dramatically, like it's in ultra log mode, and the balance shifts slightly from right to left. Should that be happening?

Peter,

For me, the current PD premium GC LM3875 sounds very very beautiful. I am using analog output from onboard sound card (Realtek HD) and no doubt that it is the best I've heard (comparing all systems I had had till now). But I want more. I am thinking about building a DAC (had been ping-ponging with you a couple of emails about this but delay due to some personal reason. Sorry!).

I've read quite many posts here about USB and S/PDIF DAC. Even you commented USB DAC sounds a little ahead to S/PDIF DAC. But I prefer S/PDIF as I also want to use it for
different sources other than computer-based.
Then the problem is how to have S/PDIF from current system. I found S/PDIF pins on mainboard but there is no ext cable provided. Can I make one? if yes, what part do I need?
Also read lots of posts about S/PDIF out from computer. It seems that everyone suggested a dedicated soundcard for this, not recommend onboard. But IMO, if onboard analog out is fine to my current listening, then onboard digital out would be somehow better with external DAC. Any comment?
If go for soundcard, what would you recommend? Professional Juli@, SB for more than $180 or just a aveg. soundcard (about $50) or even less expensive will do the expected performance? What specification should I rely on for soundcard with S/PDIF coax output?
This sounds ridiculous, but as my ears found the sound really nice with onboard soundcard (and PD LM3875 pre), an upgrade to mid to high-end soundcard would be enough. No need for external DAC in short future. :D

Thanks,
HT

Yes, you can connect wires to pins on mother board and retrieve SPDIF signal this way. You need a suitable pcb socket (or solder wires directly to the pins) and RCA socket.

Instead of a soundcard, I would suggest USB -> SPDPIF converter, like HiFace and this is what I'm using presently. And it is better than onboard SPDIF output.

Attachments

• USB.jpg
    USB.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 525
Yes, you can connect wires to pins on mother board and retrieve SPDIF signal this way. You need a suitable pcb socket (or solder wires directly to the pins) and RCA socket.

Instead of a soundcard, I would suggest USB -> SPDPIF converter, like HiFace and this is what I'm using presently. And it is better than onboard SPDIF output.

Peter,

There are two version of SPDIF connector: BNC and RCA. Which one is better (together with the cable) for digital? Can I use 2 types on one cable (one end for BNC and one end for RCA)? Any interference to the performance?

BNC is default in your DAC. Can it be replaced with RCA and how much more (or less)?

The price of HiFace is as much as you USB DAC, then it will be "this or that" problem :). I mean dual DAC or DAC+HiFace.

HiFace's price is also more than Juli@. Have you tried a dedicated soundcard + your DAC (SPDIF out)?

Thanks,
HT

People used to make big deal about connectors on digital cables and BNC was regarded as superior.

Presently, I don't care much for connector type as the cable itself is much more important. I use Belkin Synapse, not available any longer and RCA terminated, which so far was better than any other digital interconnect I tried with the exception of custom cables made by one of my associates.

I can install RCA connector on my DAC, price would be the same. HiFace sells for $150 as far as I know and it's better to have HiFace and SPDIF DAC than additional USB DAC.

I tried dedicated sound card (M-Audio) but didn't really like it.

Peter,

Thanks so much for information.
A little more curious after reading some about reflection in interconnect cable. What type of BNC are you using: 75ohm or 50ohm? and what type of RCA female: is it 75ohm? Same question for your customized Belkin Synapse: is it 75ohm cable with 75ohm RCA male? (someone recommended this Nagys Audio - Technology - Provider of High End Audio Interconnect Cables)

I used to use coaxial cable for computer connection quite long time ago (at least before 1999) and can easily find 75ohm coaxials (cheap) in diy shops now. What is difference between those with your customized Belkin Synapse anyway?

If use BNC, what should be care about BNC male connectors for coaxial cable?

Rgds,
HT

Hi Peter,

I built the LM3875 GC premium. It has a very low gain, my preamp needs to give a very high input signal in order to have a normal volume. As a result you can't really play loud with the GC.

I've built several amps before but never encountered this before. Also I've checked the amps, all is soldered correctly. The setup is classic dual mono, so 1 rectifier board en 2 amps. No series resistor (R1) and with the Rf resistor. All is 22k except for R3 wich is 680R.

Any idea where to start 'debugging' ?

Cheers,

Mark.

Peter,
I soldered in 200K Caddocks between in and out pins of my PEC 25K pot, and found improvements that you have mentioned. However, the pot is hyper-sensitive now, I just touch it and the volume increases dramatically, like it's in ultra log mode, and the balance shifts slightly from right to left. Should that be happening?

Hi Peter,
Any comments on above? Thx.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.