Another F5 build--beautiful music, different drummer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i've got the same red boards, all the caps are doing is the same thing in the PS, they're orientated across the rails, and ground, i'm assuming as just another little helping cap, although i dont know how much they actually assist, being that the power supply calls for 1000x more then what was supplied

copyrights

It happens here too. As a pro musician I've lost track of the number of recordings I've made that are sold on itunes. As a session player I have played on dozens of recordings and commercial ads. We are supposed to receive residual payments for many of those but I seldom see anything. The residuals tend to be very small, pennies per track, but most of time I'm seeing nothing... still, itunes collects on each sale. I do have a handful of things that post payments to my paypal account but those are the exception.
59° with falling barometer at 29.75" 6:10PM 4/25/11

BB,

Woodcraft on Garden of the Gods is a good source, but that particular piece of work I got at Colorado Wood Workers, at 935 E. Fillmore. Both have a good inventory of hardwoods......

When will you be in Colorado Springs (Powers, Constitution area.....) next? Why not drop by and check out the amp and "project cars" in person?

Ken

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the lead on Colorado Wood Workers.
The reason I asked is that I bought a piece of Paduak for my chip amps and went back a couple of days latter to buy the other piece and it was gone. I thought maybe you bought it.

I'm in your area a couple of times a week I would love to see your cars and your amp. I'll PM you with my phone number and email. Maybe we can meet Thursday or Friday. We also need to get together with 6L6.

Cheers,
BB

Thanks BBM3 (Bill) and 6L6 (Jim)

......for dropping by the house, and for the visit!

Always good to meet those with similar interests, from audio stuff, to cars, to flying.

Thanks, too, for the kind words about my construction and workshop.

I'm currently listening to Nelson Rangell (cool jazz) thru my F5, into my 40-year old Sansui SP-3500 speakers, and the sound is magical........!

Next for me? Probabably a CD transport (Shigaclone, here I come) and a good NOS DAC. Oh....and a few car projects!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It was a genuine pleasure to visit you yesterday, and an added bonus to meet Bill! I had a great time, hopefully we can do it again!

Agreed,
It was a great to meet with you. You are both very interesting and smart guys. We share so many common interests it is almost scary.
We should do it again maybe I can host the next one?

Ken,
RE: Your PM.
No progress on the car build this weekend and nothing is going to happen any time soon. :(

Having seen and listened to CanAm Man's F5 I can assure everyone following, his amp is a work of audio audio art.

Back to CanAm Man's build thread.

Cheers,
-BB

Fini....! I think.....

Well, I finally took off my "mock-up" front panel that I had fabricated from 1/8" aluminum plate, took measurements, and ordered a proper front panel from Front Panel Express. (If you haven't used their on-line tools and their services, I recommend them..... good experience). I received the panel in about 5 working days.....

When I had my mock-up panel mounted (and painted in a satin black), I felt the front of my amp lacked any detail--just a hunk of flat black plate.......so...... I was able to get into my friend's machine shop, and milled two panel end plates out of 1/2" aluminum. These end plates added better definition to the front panel, and also added some of the "retro-modern" look I was hoping for. (If you can explain "retro-modern" to me, please do..... I don't have a clue!) In any case, the F5 now goes well with much of my other equipment, and the bronze plexiglass cover draws a lot of attention from friends.

The amp is fully operational including the VU meters, heatsink temp monitors, and the clipping monitors. It's running very cool with the two low-speed fans, and I plan in increasing bias and doing some experimenting. (Hopefully, not incurring the wrath of Acrid, the Greek God of Pungent Smoke).

The amp continues to "burn in", and sounds fantastic on everything from smooth Jazz, to the classics. Thanks, Papa Pass, for an outstanding design that "even a caveman can build".....!!

I still have some final clean-up to do--all cosmetic. When I get that done, I'll paste a few pics on the "Pass Pictures" page.

Some grainy pics included below, for now.....

Attachments

• 142.JPG
    142.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 614
  • 144.JPG
    144.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 607
  • 146.JPG
    146.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 585
  • 147.JPG
    147.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 584
  • 149.JPG
    149.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 585
  • 150.JPG
    150.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 389
Aluminum panel plates

Hhhhmmmm......

I'm having second (or third, or fourth...) thoughts about the brushed aluminum end plates I made for the front panel.

Another option it to get them anodized, in the same tone as the rest of the front panel....... It will remove the "contrast", but still retain the contours of the front panel.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.