Aleph 4 Strickly DIY Project Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Detail of how the Current Source and Signal MOS-FETs are connected to the Main Amplifier board.

The amplifier is designed symetrically so the second channel is a mirror of the first.

Attachments

• DSIR0159.JPG
    DSIR0159.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 346
Power Supplies

At long last I've completed the Power Supplies.

I don't know how I'm going to lift this beast once it is complete. The Heatsink Assembly is almost too heavy to lift and this Power Supply is positively hernia inducing.

Interesting in the diagram that I am working to, there are no PSU chokes. I'm only using them as the KK-PCB Power Supply includes them.

Would I be better removing them and allowing the PSU rails to increase to +/-45V.

Attachments

• DSIR0162.JPG
    DSIR0162.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 303
All is not well in the Freestone Aleph 4 household.

Andy f****d up and is paying the costs.

With everything wired up and the PSUs tested correct it was time to try the amps.

Left Channel has already been tested and is perfectly OK, the Right Channel was still virgin.

POWER ON and RH channel had a smoking Source resistor in -VE leg, DC output offset was also high at 8V.

FOOLISH ME I had inadvertently reversed the connections to GATE and SOURCE SENSE. The DRAIN and OUTPUT connections were correct. I'd done this on both +ve and -ve FETs.

Briefly looking at the circuit diagrams it would appear that no harm should ensue from this ****-up.

I then smartly reconnected the FET boards - correctly this time.

I powered ON and watched the DC OFFSET to see if my ****-uop correction had worked. It did, output offset was now in the millivolt range.

I was just clapping my hands when the -ve bank started to smoke again and the +ve Bridge Rectifier (35A) went up in smoke.

The transformer survived but it got mughty warm in the 20 seconds or so that it took the amp to go into self-destruct.

The ALEPH 4 lives

In my impatience to get some NELSON music I overlooked the DIYers GOLDEN RULE.

CHECK, CHECK, CHECK AGAIN.

The second channel had a dry joint on its -VE supply.
The second channel had its D-S connections to both legs transposed.

I'm amazed that ONLY the bridge rectifier blew.

It's now running and producing the most glorious sound that I have heard.

The only fuse in the beast is a 10A Mains Fuse, that didn't blow.

Attachments

• DSIR0163.JPG
    DSIR0163.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 306
I just can't turn it OFF.

Well, the technical bit has been done and its soak testing after my disasterous mistake. I still can't believe that I didn't do more damage.

The test system is

ARCAM FMJ CD36
SHUNTKY / PUMPKIN Pre-Amp
PASSIVE 100K LADDER ATTENUATOR
B&W DM683 Speakers

The results are STUNNING

There is absolutely no audible noise when there shouldn't be.

BASS SLAM is amazing - no need for the subs anymore, not that the 683s are shy on BASS at all.
The 683s share a lot of technology from the Nautilus (the surroundless Midrange and the Nautilus Tweeter). The Aleph 4 controls these extremely well and the sound is both beautiful and lovely to listen to. I've got them bi-cabled with QED Qudos cables but 15A ring main cable is very good as well.

There is no audible sibilance. Piano sounds like a piano.

I've got these biassed at 2.4A and the heatsinks are comfortably warm.

Total draw from the 240V mains is 1.6A (so 380W)

When I can stop listening to it I'll get around to fitting the top cover and painting it.
No-one's going to pinch it - It weighs 48Kg.

It's getting near to my "Granny" neigbours bed time, I'll have to turn it down soon, but it's only running at (Nelson's Sweet Spot) around 1W or so. 5W with the 683s is LOUD. I haven't even attempted 50W as its just too loud to listen to. It's nice to have the headroom though so that the sound is both musical and unrestrained.

I haven't bothered with low value caps across the CLCC PSU. I don't think it needs them and the circuit that I have been using doesn't show them.

If it sounds as lovely as it does "out of the box", what improvements can be made ?

Attachments

• DSIR0164.JPG
    DSIR0164.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 298
  • DSIR0166.JPG
    DSIR0166.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.