Advice on meeting women.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had some degree of success by takling a book into the local bar and reading. Yea I know it sounds screwy but I am amazed at how often women will come up and ask what I am reading. A natural ice breaker. Now I am not suggesting that you chose the title of the book to apeal to the fairer sex, but you could find somthing that they would know about. It really works.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have had some degree of success by takling a book into the local bar and reading. Yea I know it sounds screwy but I am amazed at how often women will come up and ask what I am reading. A natural ice breaker. Now I am not suggesting that you chose the title of the book to apeal to the fairer sex, but you could find somthing that they would know about. It really works.

Welllllllll - I suggest that you find something that interest you from the current best seller list - or a classic that you can pick up cheap at a used book store. Engineering and science books - not so hot in terms of getting a conversation going. For example - Propositional calculus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - not a good choice for the ladies.

OTOH - it did come in handy in my old QC days.....

Be honest and confident. Don't build up a first encounter in your mind, just casually go up to a woman you find attractive and say something along the order of:

"Hi, I'm Tim. Would you like to have a coffee or tea with me?"

It's okay if she's with her friends- they'll admire your courage, or shoot you down on her behalf. Either way, nothing lost because you didn't think about the outcome prior to asking (right?). Don't dilly dally about your approach- just walk right up. If you wait too long and overthink it you can come off as a creep.

Know now, most of the time they're involved or not interested. Of those that are up for a mini-date, or will give a number, another 75% are probably not worth pursuing further (as they're not a good match). Just keep at it and don't worry about the negatives. They're not going to slap you for a polite invitation.

If you can't find a good american girl weighing less than 180 Lbs ;) (with all their overblown expectations and demands cuz "they are worth it" ) you may look into foreign females.(students , immigrants etc.) American engineer unemployed or not could be a success story for such a girl and different mentality may actually help since you feel like a stranger yourself ;)

Go sit at a bus stop and look depressed, worked wonders for me when a shack g/f told me it was over.
Doesn't score a relationship, just get's you laid.
Then there's supermarkets, voluntary work, enroll in an endless weekly talk commissy at the local marina, etc.
Or get tats and go to the gym.

Euh... Oh Dear, i know all about getting laid, but nothing about how to get into a serious relationship.

If i could do it all over i'd take ballet lessons, tell them women i'm gay, but a very sensitive person.
Either that or try to reach my eyebrows with my tongue.

I'd rather get cut to ribbons than ignored.

I've worked at bike shops off and on for several years. Customers are either men, or men buying bikes with their girlfriends. If a single woman does come in she is dropping off her husband's bike for repair.

It's just so strange how it seems that no matter what I do, I end up surrounded by men. That's the real issue. It's not a matter of taking the wrong book to a bar, it's picking the wrong bar.

This may be coming down to extraordinarily bad luck.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Go sit at a bus stop and look depressed, worked wonders for me when a shack g/f told me it was over.
Doesn't score a relationship, just get's you laid.
Then there's supermarkets, voluntary work, enroll in an endless weekly talk commissy at the local marina, etc.
Or get tats and go to the gym.

Euh... Oh Dear, i know all about getting laid, but nothing about how to get into a serious relationship.

If i could do it all over i'd take ballet lessons, tell them women i'm gay, but a very sensitive person.
Either that or try to reach my eyebrows with my tongue.

Well - jacco's advise confirms this article Nearly 40 percent of Europeans suffer mental illness | Reuters

For what ever that is worth - I mean it's not as if USA blokes are any sainer - and I very much enjoy French Women - the one's I have met had a healthy perspective about men.

As far a being able to lick your eyebrows? Not totally necessary - I have found that being able to merely touch the end of your nose works pretty well. Picking your nose with your tongue will either be a big turn-off or get you involved with women you will regret being involved with (I think I read that on the internet.)

Also - remember all of this good advise is coming from a bunch of audio geeks that spend most of their time reading forums - burning their fingers - or getting calluses on their hands (from sanding speaker cab's :D). Then factor in that many (such as I) are old farts - and tho we may have the wisdom of time most of us are out of touch with today's young ladies. My 18 year old grand-daughter hit the door running the second she turned 18. She stayed with us for two years - I'm still clueless as to what the hell her reality in life is.:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
1 Get a Job, even if only at McDs!

2 Always have paper and pencil with you!

3 Make sure you are always presentable. Good haircut, clean clothes without wrinkles, clean clear skin (No pimples).

4 Keep your car and housing clean.

5 Mix or help a band with their sound. When the cute young thing asks you if you have a pen or pencil see rule #2. There is an excellent chance she will be giving you her phone number.

6 When a woman says call her, call her! The conversation is "Hi, this is .... you asked me to call you, I noticed that ... is playing at ... would you be interested in going?"
or "I noticed a new restaurant ... do you like ... food?" After those lines let her talk! You should only ask polite questions.

7 If all else fails visit a church. Arrive a bit early. In a church that understands things, the usher will seat a single woman next to you! (Really it does work that way at some churches!) If it doesn't after three visits, change churches.

the girls i liked never liked me , the ones that liked me i didn´t like them.one day this hot girl i never dreamed would look at me twice , asked me to date her , she´s my wife for 12 years now. maybe i can help you , she said that what she liked about me was that i always had a smile on my face and was a very kind person . i think that as long as you´re happy with who you are things will happen , even when you´re not expecting them to.

and she likes the same type of music that i do , of course if she didn´t i would divorce her :D

Last edited:
I'm working on getting a pituitary tumor removed which has caused me to be depressed for the last decade. Perhaps that accounts for most of my issues.

I do not share the experiences here of women approaching me. That must be nice.

If I had a picture of very fat Chuck who had a girlfriend and wife you'd realize the reason why you don't have women approach is you don't notice it. All ya gotta do is be with the band....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.