• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Aavid Thermalloy Possible Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I have some more numbers to throw out to the members.

I have a quote for 24 sets of panels to make a Chassis. This pricing is for material only no finishing or machining. Only Drilling required on most panels, Front panel would need Drilling and tapping for mounting to brackets. I will debur panels, but material supplier is not going to drop ship, so US members would have to pay taxes as well.. sorry.

Top plate .090
Back Plate .090
Base Plate .188 (plenty thick enough, mine is only .185)
Front Plate .375 (9.5m) essentially 14x8
Top & Bottom rail for mounting bottom plate and tieing Heatsinks together.
Angle Brackets for mounting front Plate.
$68 CAD plus shipping

If we swap out the back Panel for a CNC panel from FPE.
$110 CAD Plus Shipping

I was thinking of going to a more substantial Top cover, maybe .125 which would add about $6.

I am waiting for quotes on anodizing the panels. I could get them drilled, but I am not sure if this I really required.

We may decide to drop the Front panel as members may have thier own ideas.

Option 1) If we proceed with screwing the Top and Back panels into a machined recess on the heatsinks and getting all the mounting holes drilled and tapped count on $50 CAD ea for an MOQ of 50.

Option 2) If we do our own Drilling and Tapping and no recess machined into the heatsinks then the top and back plate would screw to the top and bottom rails. Then the heat sinks would cost us $27 CAD for MOQ of 50.

Option 3) Is a comprimise involving drilling and tapping the heatsinks but no recess machining and still using the rails to mount the Top and Back plate. I would have to get another quote for that option.

If we go ahead with a GB option on a chassis as well as the heatsinks what ever option we go with it looks like the botttom plate will be undermounted to the bottom rail not fastened directly into the heatsinks like I did the prototype. R-Theta does not have the machine capabiity to mount the heatsinks up in pairs like I did and endmill as one piece. The bottom rail allows us to hide any slight imperfections in Heatsink hieght under the chassis.

The Modushop Case looked at earlier in this thread uses option three and also fastens the bottom plate to lower rail. Same method employed even if you upgrade to thicker stiffer Aluminum panels.

Regards

Anthony

I'm organizing a group buy/build with luvdunhill for a Kevin Gilmore project. I'm currently out looking at chassis options. I'd be very much interested in a chassis kit as mentioned by coulumb or a hifi2000 option as well...

I think besides cost.. time frame is a big concern of mine. I'd like to have something in my hands by the beginning of summer... if that is possible with the chassis kit then I'd be interested in at the very least 4 kits if not upwards of 10.

I am waiting for the final price from hifi2000. In mean while I've made two versions of the back panel for there reference, and one version of the front panel based on my specs.
Any suggestions are welcome.
I'll like to standardize the back panel to only two versions. Front panel is sticky proposal and it'll be up to builder to go wild. ;)
I have asked for the milled handles as standard in the price.

Attachments

• front_pannel_f4_w.jpg
    front_pannel_f4_w.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 338
Hello gjorgji, I think the hifi2000 option is going far beyond my criteria for a reasonably priced chassis option on what started out as a GB interest in Heatsinks.

I will be purchasing 12 of the 65605 heatsinks from R-Theta for myself regardless of the direction this thread goes, and will likely be putting up a wiki for it soon, just got to figure out how. I have not gotten a lot of feedback on whether an 8" length is sufficient or if a 10" length is preferred, I might make that a wiki option.

If I end up just getting them for myself I will be buying them without any machining for cost effectiveness.

As a reminder if there is enough interest in 25 home grown chassis kits, which equals 100 heatsinks at 4 per chassis, the pricing would work out pretty close to the following.

Most basic version, members do all the drilling and such.
Includes Anodizing, all blank panels including 9M front plate & 4 unmachined Heatsinks.
158USD

Upscale version, members do some drilling as part of final assembly
Includes all the above except swap out blank back panel for finished panel from FPE and Pre machined Heatsinks. May be able to include drilling screw holes in panels for mounting as well.
250USD

Canadian orders for heatsinks would have to add taxes.
Shipping not included $30 to $50 I estimate.

The heatsink portion of the GB would be open to anyone wishing just to purchase heatsinks as well.

Regards

Anthony

Coulomb said:
Hello gjorgji, I think the hifi2000 option is going far beyond my criteria for a reasonably priced chassis option on what started out as a GB interest in Heatsinks.

I know. Got the quote this morning. 338EUR shipped to Canada. Very steep compared to local solution, almost double, not counting taxes and other import fees. I might opt for this only if the "homegrown" solution is taking too long.
Anyway, if someone still want to go this route, I'll open separate thread.

Coulomb said:
I have not gotten a lot of feedback on whether an 8" length is sufficient or if a 10" length is preferred, I might make that a wiki option.
[/B]

I'll in for 4 pairs, but I'll prefer in 10'' or 12''

Coulomb said:
Upscale version, members do some drilling as part of final assembly
Includes all the above except swap out blank back panel for finished panel from FPE and Pre machined Heatsinks. May be able to include drilling screw holes in panels for mounting as well.
250USD
[/B]

I'll like this option better. Maybe wiki will help in getting better understanding of the interest and time lines.

Gjorgji

Hello Gjorgji, so 338EUR includes all aluminum panels, and custom front and back panels? Still that's like $360 USD, it is probably reasonable if you are looking for a one off and thier is no other option. Was there a quantity discount in the 338EUR price?

I think to go to 10" would not affect the pricing drastically, remember the back and front panel also increase in hieght adding to the cost. At 10" the back panel price from FPE increases by $3.50 USD

Also as long as we hit the minimum order for the predrilled number of units we can add any number of undrilled units and piggy back the group discount. So members who just want anodized "Blank" unit can get in on the deal as well.

Regards

Anthony

Coulomb said:
Hello Gjorgji, so 338EUR includes all aluminum panels, and custom front and back panels? Still that's like $360 USD, it is probably reasonable if you are looking for a one off and thier is no other option. Was there a quantity discount in the 338EUR price?

That's more like $425US :cannotbe: .. with Canadian and US dollar this low does not much sense .
The price includes shipping and all aluminum except the top cover. I think that we can get the top in aluminum in that price. Maybe another 5% off, but that does not make the overall problem any better.

Gjorgji

Wiki is operational, and I will contunue to keep it updated. I am starting off with a survey.

R-Theta wiki

Majority will have to rule on some options to keep things simple and affordable.

Heatsink Color Clear or Black
Profile length 8" or 10"
Work done on Heatsink prior to delivery

These are the options that we would really need to get down to one of each to maximise buying power.

Members should also note I have added a small chassis option for those just wishing to use 1 pair of heatsinks in thier projects.

Regards

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.